Confirmed with Link: Phaneuf on the Pha-move to LA

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Phaneuf served his purpose. Replace Cowen and Weircoch until more d are ready or he starts to decline. I couldn't stand watching Cowen anymore.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Getting rid of Phaneuf was amazing. He can't skate and because of it, his d zone coverage was horrendous. He's not the only domino to fall on D I'm thinking.

Lolduya is good as gone. Will be interesting to see what happens with Ceci. Claesson could go as well perhaps.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
We can now see Cody Ceci unshackled and see what the deal is here. Is it Cody or is it Dion?

Before Dion it was Cowen and Weircoch, before that it was Phillips' fault. Then it was because he was called up too early, so "he was learning the pro game". Who's next up in the Cody Ceci blame game? Cmon down Thomas Chabot! Let me guess, Chabot is going to be too "offensive minded" and Ceci will struggle because he is always picking up Chabot's defensive responsibilities.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Before Dion it was Cowen and Weircoch, before that it was Phillips' fault. Then it was because he was called up too early, so "he was learning the pro game". Who's next up in the Cody Ceci blame game? Cmon down Thomas Chabot! Let me guess, Chabot is going to be too "offensive minded" and Ceci will struggle because he is always picking up Chabot's defensive responsibilities.

Our blueline has been garbage for years. Particularly our left side minus Methot. When you’ve rolled out guys like Cowen, Weircoch, Gryba, Ceci, on over the hill Phillips, a past his prime Phaneuf etc. It does not inspire much confidence.

Remember the days of Redden,Chara, Phillips, Salo, Rachunek, Volchenkov, Leschyshyn? Our blueline used to be one of our biggest strengths, but now? Nope.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Remember the days of Redden,Chara, Phillips, Salo, Rachunek, Volchenkov, Leschyshyn? Our blueline used to be one of our biggest strengths, but now? Nope.

Sad part is that it has been very apparent for years, yet Bryan Murray and now Pierre Dorion have completely neglected it, figuring that EK will just bail everyone out.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Our blueline has been garbage for years. Particularly our left side minus Methot. When you’ve rolled out guys like Cowen, Weircoch, Gryba, Ceci, on over the hill Phillips, a past his prime Phaneuf etc. It does not inspire much confidence.

Agreed. Dorion is a fool for thinking everything on D is fine. Hence why I wanted him gone. He doesn't see what many Sens fans see as the team's biggest weakness. Anderson and Condon were the reasons last year why we even came close to the playoffs. This year they go back to being human and our defensive zone flaws are being exposed.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Agreed. Dorion is a fool for thinking everything on D is fine. Hence why I wanted him gone. He doesn't see what many Sens fans see as the team's biggest weakness. Anderson and Condon were the reasons last year why we even came close to the playoffs. This year they go back to being human and our defensive zone flaws are being exposed.
What would you like him to say??Our blueline in terrible and I have no faith in our young Dmen becoming nhl players...Come on man

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Agreed. Dorion is a fool for thinking everything on D is fine.

Not defending Dorion here, just reminding everyone that what team executives tell the fans publicly, and what they think amd tell eachother privately, are usually two very different things.

I'll criticize Dorion for not improving the blueline, but I'm not going to blame him for trying to hype the team in what is essentially a sales pitch to the fan base. No GM in their right mind would tell the fans that the team isn't good enough, regardless of how good they actually are.

"Our blueline sucks, oh and by the way 12-game season ticket packs go on sale today"... never going to happen.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Our defense is not a position of strength though.

He's trying to sell something that everyone knows is bull****
He didnt say for guys like us that already know it isnt true....He said it for the kids that are going to try and win nhl jobs ,and the casual fan

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Not defending Dorion here, just reminding everyone that what team executives tell the fans publicly, and what they think amd tell eachother privately, are usually two very different things.

I'll criticize Dorion for not improving the blueline, but I'm not going to blame him for trying to hype the team in what is essentially a sales pitch to the fan base. No GM in their right mind would tell the fans that the team isn't good enough, regardless of how good they actually are.

"Our blueline sucks, oh and by the way 12-game season ticket packs go on sale today"... never going to happen.
"Our blue line is a position of strength" ... never should be said if its not true either.

Reactions: Chezzz

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Sad part is that it has been very apparent for years, yet Bryan Murray and now Pierre Dorion have completely neglected it, figuring that EK will just bail everyone out.

To be fair, it’s not like we never drafted defenceman in the early rounds. Meszaros, Lee, Karlsson, Cowen, Ceci, Chabot all first round picks since 2004.

Unfortunately not many of them panned out. I was sure Meszaros would be good for a long time. Great rookie season, but not great after. Cowen I thought would be the next Phillips. More of a second pair guy who was good defensively and physical.

Lee was never good, and I don’t know what people see in Ceci. I don’t care if he plays lots of minutes, that doesn’t make him good.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Do you think the fanbase or even the casual fan is that dumb?

"OK, Lets all rush out and buy our 12 game packs because our GM said our D is good!!"

I get the argument of trying to boost the confidence of Jaros/Englind, etc. but do you really think those two guys were even listening to PD's press conference? Or that they will go searching wondering what the great PD had to say yesterday?

He could have just said nothing at all. If asked the question "How do you feel about your D going forward", a simple "Good" would have worked. No need to go off praising Cody Ceci or talking about how great our defensive depth is. PD seems to enjoy setting himself up for criticism in his availabilities.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Do you think the fanbase or even the casual fan is that dumb?

"OK, Lets all rush out and buy our 12 game packs because our GM said our D is good!!"
Meh ,he was never going to say anything different....Dont understand all the fuss

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Meh i have no issue with him slinging poop, for the casual fan. Or to try and boost the confidence of kids like Harpur,Jaros etc
It's one thing to say it then it's one thing to have your coach bench said players consistently throughout the season for the likes of Oduya. Say one thing mean another.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
It's one thing to say it then it's one thing to have your coach bench him consistently throughout the season for the likes of Oduya. Say one thing mean another.
Oh I hear you,I suspect Harpur to actually show up now that he has a nhl job to come too...Him being blocked by trash was never a good thing ditto Chabot

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Reactions: topshelf15

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
He didnt say for guys like us that already know it isnt true....He said it for the kids that are going to try and win nhl jobs ,and the casual fan

Also, the "casual fan" is not tuning in to any press conferences, nor are they the people you are trying to sell season ticket packages to.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

“But now Cody is probably ready to take someone under his wing" - My favorite quote from Dorion yesterday.

Scary.

Also:
“I know a lot of the pundits out there might disagree with it,” Dorion said, “but Cody is one player I’d like to have a Senator for a long, long time.”

Pierre really spends far too much time trying to prove the people on Twitter wrong. Not sure I have heard ANY "pundits" out there ever criticize Ceci other than the bloggers on Twitter. The rest of the Ottawa media has strayed very clear of ever discussing Ceci.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I haven't red every reply to this topic in this thread so I apologize if I'm repeating earlier points. To me it comes down to one question.

Assuming LA made the best offer for Phaneuf, given where the Sens are now and apparently where they plan to go, would you rather have Phaneuf and Thompson or Gaborik and Shore? (And yes it is possible that Thompson could have been moved separately).

From a talent perspective Phaneuf is better and younger than Gaborik.
Financially Sens are bettor with this deal (how much better remains to be seen).

I prefer having Gaborik/Shore at this point. The money improvement outweighs the talent difference. Phaneuf's talent difference is meaningless to the Sens at this point.

Admittedly I'd feel a lot better about the trade if Melnyk immediately committed to reinvesting in K'son/Stone, scouts, etc.

I don't really see a difference. From what Kings fans say, Gaborik isn't NHL quality anymore, and Shore is a nothing piece. Phaneuf has the worse contract but has some ability if he was on the third pairing; Thompson was ok, but also a nothing piece.

At this point, it's just shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic to get at a few coins buried under the cushions. What the kids say these days....a 'nothingburger.'

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad