Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Signs 8 Year Deal with the Vancouver Canucks, AAV $11.6M

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
11.6 is a crazy contract though. Thats a contract that you cannot get rid of no matter what. Hes gonna be here until 2033.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
What a weird comment. Unlikeable person? What has he ever done to come across as unlikeable? Does any fanbase hate their star players as much as this one? I find it truly strange.
Unlikeable doesn't necessarily mean a bad person. Just means he's not necessarily an endearing one. Some players have the ability to gain love and respect through things other than their stats. Those players are likeable. Pettersson is not one of those players. You love Pettersson for what he does, well can do, on the ice. That's pretty much it.

Reactions: MS

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
It’s a strange thing for such an unlikeable person/player to be so critical to the team you care about so much.
This seems like an uncharacteristically tantrum based post.

He had a bad game, and has struggled lately. Don't see how that makes him an unlikeable player/person.

He's basically the closest player in the league to Datsyuk when he's not slumping. He's honestly my favorite player, even when he's going through a moment of being human and struggling like we all do.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

He had a bad game, and has struggled lately. Don't see how that makes him an unlikeable player/person.

He's basically the closest player in the league to Datsyuk when he's not slumping. He's honestly my favorite player, even when he's going through a moment of being human and struggling like we all do.

I think hyperbole has become quite common in MS' posting style, FWIW, but there's a tinge of truth to this one: Pettersson has lost equity with this fanbase in terms of play, personality and the contract farce. So he gets scapegoated for a reason.

It's not fair (or wholly accurate) that he does, but I understand why he does.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
He didn't shy away from contact earlier in the season, so the first goal stood out to me straight away watching the replay. He's very hesitant to go into contact along the boards there. Something's up.

And if I'm wrong then it's a psychological thing that he needs to work on. At the moment I think it's a bit of both. I think he's carrying an injury some sort and I think he's in his own head.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
He's not an unlikeable person. He just lacks leadership on the ice. Everybody was caught up in his points when the signs of his deficiencies were on full display to the world. You simply can't go in to a hard series and expect him to lead the team, period. Now TV personalities and local sports pundits are starting to see it.

This extension and the Lindholm trade have me doubting Allvin. Two massive massive mistakes. Never ever extend a player until you see what they play like in the post season. Thank god they can see Zad elevate his game and Hronek play the same as the 2nd half of the season.

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
I couldn't tell if he was shooting or passing it into the other teams shin pads. He botched literally every play be tried to make. I get being in a slump and lacking confidence but he looked like a midget AAA player out there.

And laughing after missing an open shot? Grow a set, get mad, this isn't fun time with the fellas this is your job

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
He's really strapped at wing. On one side, he's got a fourth-liner most of the time, and though Hoglander had a good year he's only got 12 assists on the season and has somewhat trailed off with 3 points in his last 10 regular season games.

I think he looked his best recently when briefly played with Garland during Joshua's injury. Need to actually find someone for him to play with, or he's obviously going to struggle dragging his wings around.

Hoglander is fine as a complimentary and will hopefully get better, but really need to find someone to anchor Pettersson's wing.

Much as Pettersson deserves criticism for not driving his own line. This really cannot be overstated. Yes, Mikheyev played well last night. But he's simply not a scoring threat whatsoever. Meanwhile, Hoglander has all but disappeared. Pettersson looked a lot better when Tocchet actually stuck with the Lotto line for more than one shot.

For the time being, we need to reunite that line or go with Joshua and Garland between him. In the long term though, us not chasing Toffoli really has come back to bite us. We need a solution this off season.

Reactions: Grifter3511

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I have been pretty deferential to Petey, but yeah, obviously last night was a tough outing for him.

Visually to me, he does look like he's trying and working hard. Forechecking is there, he threw a huge hit in the first period, he's backchecking. But something is going on in his head and he doesn't have any confidence with the puck on his stick.

Much as Pettersson deserves criticism for not driving his own line. This really cannot be overstated. Yes, Mikheyev played well last night. But he's simply not a scoring threat whatsoever. Meanwhile, Hoglander has all but disappeared. Pettersson looked a lot better when Tocchet actually stuck with the Lotto line for more than one shot.

For the time being, we need to reunite that line or go with Joshua and Garland between him. In the long term though, us not chasing Toffoli really has come back to bite us. We need a solution this off season.
Yep. 100%. I said at the time, VAN really needed to add a winger at the deadline. Given the prices paid for Toffoli, Duclair, or even Zucker, they should have added one of them. Allvin did not execute.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Miller is one of the most likeable players in franchise history.

It’s not a tantrum. No argument that he’s the closest thing to Datsyuk. He’s a fantastic talent.

But his body language sucks and has mostly sucked for 4 years now. It isn’t one game or one month.

He quit on the team for the entirety of 2021.

He displays zero passion or personality in interviews.

He was pretty clearly hedging on forcing his way out of Vancouver before the team got better.

He’s one of the bigger divers/embellishers in the league.

He’s hugely important. It wouldn’t surprise me if he won a Hart for this team. But he’s a sulky primadonna and it also wouldn’t surprise me if he pouted his way to 60 points next year.

I love him when he’s playing great for what he can do for the team. But I just don’t *like* the guy very much, at all.

Same vibes as late-career Naslund where you wonder if this guy even likes playing hockey.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
well the big push to get him signed has sure backfired

hopefully going on the road will help him because if he keeps this up he's gonna want to take the first flight out of Vancouver when this playoffs is over

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
Love the spazz passion in this thread... Elitersson has many years ahead of him for sucess in a Canucks jersey. Many posters in here acting like there is some mysterious better option out there. We are lucky to have a player with his skill set simple as. The window is very much wide open relax.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This blows my mind. :laugh:

To me he is a manchild.

miller is my least favorite canuck of all time and it isn't close. he reminds me way too much of oblivious assholes i've played with/worked with in the past

I don’t get this at all.

He’s emotional and a bit of a spaz. But the glimpses we get into his personal/family life he seems like a terrific person, terrific dad. He seems to love it in Vancouver. He sticks up for teammates. He’s funny and does hilarious stuff like the ‘Garland 400 games’ shirt. He basically did the GM’s job speaking for the franchise when the COVID stuff happened.

He’s going into the ROH here and there’s a reason his name is getting chanted constantly.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Couldn't care less about what these guys do off the ice as long as it isn't criminal, I watch them play hockey, not for reality tv.

Just win.

On the ice I agree that Petey's body language is a real issue and again, I think a sports psychologist can help.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Yep. 100%. I said at the time, VAN really needed to add a winger at the deadline. Given the prices paid for Toffoli, Duclair, or even Zucker, they should have added one of them. Allvin did not execute.

What's funny is so many people insisted Duclair sucked yet he finished with 15 points (8g-7a) in just 17 games with Tampa. For reference sake, Pettersson had only 12 points in that same stretch. Not adding anything at the deadline may prove disastrous. And I don't care to hear about the cap. Other teams managed to figure out ways around it. Allvin better learn how to.

well the big push to get him signed has sure backfired

hopefully going on the road will help him because if he keeps this up he's gonna want to take the first flight out of Vancouver when this playoffs is over

Oh, if Pettersson thought the media and fanbase were distracting before. he'll be in for a very rude awakening if he blanks our first playoff run after making such a stink about "wanting to play for a winning team."

Reactions: Jay26 and sting101

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
I have been pretty deferential to Petey, but yeah, obviously last night was a tough outing for him.

So, youre wanting to spend more money to help our highest paid player be better? Thats certainly a take.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I don’t get this at all.

He’s emotional and a bit of a spaz. But the glimpses we get into his personal/family life he seems like a terrific person, terrific dad. He seems to love it in Vancouver. He sticks up for teammates. He’s funny and does hilarious stuff like the ‘Garland 400 games’ shirt. He basically did the GM’s job speaking for the franchise when the COVID stuff happened.

He’s going into the ROH here and there’s a reason his name is getting chanted constantly.
I dont think thats an unreasonable take at all.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Miller is one of the most likeable players in franchise history.

It’s not a tantrum. No argument that he’s the closest thing to Datsyuk. He’s a fantastic talent.

But his body language sucks and has mostly sucked for 4 years now. It isn’t one game or one month.

He quit on the team for the entirety of 2021.

He displays zero passion or personality in interviews.

He was pretty clearly hedging on forcing his way out of Vancouver before the team got better.

He’s one of the bigger divers/embellishers in the league.

He’s hugely important. It wouldn’t surprise me if he won a Hart for this team. But he’s a sulky primadonna and it also wouldn’t surprise me if he pouted his way to 60 points next year.

I love him when he’s playing great for what he can do for the team. But I just don’t *like* the guy very much, at all.

Same vibes as late-career Naslund where you wonder if this guy even likes playing hockey.
thats your personal opinion. these statements are very subjective. EP is not unlikeable in my mind, just not a natural with a mic in his face like Bieksa or Cole.

He's prone to get into prolonged slumps and hes not good with the media. Hes usually productive during his slumps still, shows up in his body language, but always defensively responsible.

He like many 25 year olds out there that I deal with. He had a horrible game last night, and definitely not at his best for the last month or so, but he was another person at the beginning of the year. No one knows whether its injury or all in his head, but he needs to snap out of it thats all.

Miller needs to be handled with kid gloves, not unlike Bure in his time here according to many journalists at the time. If you ask the media people, they would probably want to deal with EP more than Miller.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad