Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Signs 8 Year Deal with the Vancouver Canucks, AAV $11.6M

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
1. Your caring is not relevant.
2. OK.
3. Cool.
4. Matthews and Doughty were expiring UFAs that signed in the summer. Pastrnak was a pending UFA signed later, like Nylander (both were stories).

Marner is the interesting one because he signed at the end of his RFA contract, and he should have signed in 2018, but I suspect he did not because Lou Lamoriello was let go at the end of 2017-18. Dubas took over and gave a big contract to Tavares and let Marner linger for a year.

He's probably the best template for what Pettersson was intending to do. I wouldn't call it the usual expectation though. Was the point though to establish an occurrence rather than the general rule?

Isn't it something that we have to dismiss rumours, contest precedent, label media and fans 'idiots' just to find a spot where one can say Pettersson acted in the usual manner here? Even though he admitted it was all a negotiating ploy. Is it so difficult to see Lindholm as an insurance policy? There's a lot pushing one way.

I'm curious though: If what Pettersson was doing was the normal course of business, then you fully expected him to re-sign, right?
I Still have no idea what point you are trying to make here.

Reactions: Nick Lang

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Hoglander is great but I don’t think he’s necessarily the best fit for petey. I think petey needs someone he can pass, play make and be creative with.

I think moving Boeser to his wing is a good start.
Is that move to help Petey or Brock? BB has fallen into a hole since December. Maybe they think Petey can feed Boeser.

To get Boeser going maybe play him with Garland.

Tocchet should unleash the guys to play all out scoring, try to put up another 10 spot. Put the backup goalie in for a game. Silvos is supposed to be pretty good.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I Still have no idea what point you are trying to make here.

The base point is that the media, the fans and management all opposed Pettersson's odd no-talk position because he was not signing when players of his ilk generally re-sign.

Something was amiss, everyone noticed it, called it out, and his play buckled because of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: B-rock

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The base point is that the media, the fans and management all opposed Pettersson's odd no-talk position because he was not signing when players of ilk generally re-sign.

Something was amiss, everyone noticed it, called it out, and his play buckled because of it.
What was amiss?

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Hopefully he and Miller get reunited. I dont care who their winger is. Getting these two clicking is the most important thing right now

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Now he’s signed long-term you really do need to prioritize a winger for him the play with. Why not try Joshua? Heck try him with Joshua and Garland and put Hogs with Miller and Boeser.

But off-season you need to dig up a more permanent fix.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Refusing to negotiate and saying he didn't want it to be a distraction so he wanted to wait until the off season are not the same thing.

Waiting to the offseason for him was going to be a distraction regardless. Refusing to change course and negotiate was a step further into that oddity.

And you just really want people to agree with you that it was odd?

Or something more?

I don't expect certain actors to agree here, no (despite all the information to the contrary).

If you've followed the discussion and thought that the team having to deleverage Pettersson's position (their franchise C) was standard fare, I'll have to disagree. Edit: To clarify further: The TDL (and the threat of trade) was the main pressure point that had Pettersson re-sign when he did.

1:54 min mark "It's a distraction for the Canucks whether you like it or not".
3:47 min mark "The Canucks are not getting any indication he wants to be here. They're frustrated".

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Lol.. "i have no intel" following the 3:47 mark

That was no different than posts on this board

"No intel that he wants out" is not "no intel" (at all)

Interesting parse on your part though.

Last edited:

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
"No intel that he wants out" is not "no intel" (at all)

Interesting parse on your part though.
Just like the two snips you had.. i mean give it a rest

No word on signing and no word on him leaving.. so nothing. I'm seriously laughing because I don't understand taking anything away from that clip, it might as well have been at a bar

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Hmm. People worried about his strength? Weird.

I’m almost certain I’ve been ranting about it for months and you all said it wasn’t an issue.

Gonna be exposed badly in the playoffs. Major over payment at 11.6M. He’s a 9M dollar player. Points in the regular season are great. Points matter way more in playoffs and he and Hughes are gonna struggle.
This management team has proven to be tight lipped with Dhaliwal discovering the Willander target 17 days ahead of the draft, that their 2 offer meetings with Pettersson get leaked (first one in November, Friedman), and that 4 days after Pettersson is signed, Lindholm (so integral to EP's signing) is on the trade market (Weekes)... A veritable vault.

On that, your reasons for why Pettersson flipped his no-negotiation policy in February are that the team was competitive, Pettersson was on break, his comfort level and the Lindholm trade. All of these aspects would remain true until the offseason, so why not stick to his original timeline?

Allvin says all teams call. This does not refute that one call (CAR) stood out over and above the others. Friedman isolates CAR specifically. Rutherford also says "he didn’t know if the possibility of a trade ignited Pettersson’s willingness to sign a new deal." Meaning, it may or may not have...

And so, taken together with Friedman's report, who isolates the CAR rumour as the impetus to sign, both are considering it as a timely factor to Petterson's decision. Not that Pettersson had already decided to re-sign and a potential trade was a disconnected factor to that decision, unlike Brisson.

None of the rumours, even Seravelli's breaking news, align with Brisson's timeline. Not in the timing of when they are released, nor in what they reference of when the decision was made. Seravelli in video specifically states that things picked up in the last 3-4 days, not a month ago in his Feb 28th hit.

JP Barry interview is relevant because the agents couldn't get him to reengage. June to February, nothing. What changed in late February? They were approaching the deadline. What happens at the deadline? People get traded. When no TDL loomed, Pettersson didn't budge for almost 9 months.

Ah, so direct evidence of Pettersson saying "I always wanted to sign here" is a normal thing for players to lie about (Rutherford lied too, I guess?), but Brisson moving the impetus to sign away from the CAR trade rumour is not a normal thing for an agent to lie about? Certain direct evidence are lies, but other direct evidence are not lies... right.

I'll leave you with this:

Brisson spoke just an hour after his client put pen to paper on an eight-year, US$92.8 million deal, the richest in Canucks history. It wasn’t a firm target, but one that made sense if they were going to change course and negotiate a new deal before the end of the season, rather than wait till the end which had been Pettersson’s preferred course since last summer.

Why didn't this dollar amount make them change course in the offseason? Because it wasn't there then, and the TDL wasn't there either.
Dhaliwal discovering the Wilander target. Now I’ve heard it all. You eat the codswallop from the media and treat it as gospel. Teams have lists and just like most drafts, outside of the top 3-5 the picks can be very volatile and the list becomes liquid depending on who takes who in front of you.

The Wilander target. Lol. Go out and get some fresh air.

What if Leonard, Simashev or Reinbacher was there at their pick? Or is Dhaliwal the be all end all for you? I can smell the shit when you keep talking out of your ass.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hodgy

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
There is a group of weirdos "Canucks fans" on social media who will catch any chance at taking a shot at EP

Mostly doing it by comparing him to Miller

Im just going to assume those ppl are bandwagoners who have not been following the team since 2015

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Waiting to the offseason for him was going to be a distraction regardless. Refusing to change course and negotiate was a step further into that oddity.
1:54 min mark "It's a distraction for the Canucks whether you like it or not".
3:47 min mark "The Canucks are not getting any indication he wants to be here. They're frustrated".

When we talk about "distraction" we are presumably talking about inside the locker room no? Petey not having put pen to paper does not mean that he hasn't reassured the guys in the locker room that he plans to negotiate a long term extension at the end of the season.

Again, this doesn't have to be an either or situation. One side being reasonable doesn't have to mean the other side must be unreasonable nor does one side giving in to the other side's wishes in a relationship means that an unreasonable position was taken in the first place. People are entitled to their own perspective you know.

If my boss wants to negotiate an extension and I wanted to wait after I completed some existing projects but my boss comes to me and says please it's really important that we get the extension done because we're building a team around you and the shareholders need to know you're on board to lead it. If I then change my mind after my boss' plea does it somehow "prove" that I took an unreasonable position? That's what you're saying here.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
When we talk about "distraction" we are presumably talking about inside the locker room no? Petey not having put pen to paper does not mean that he hasn't reassured the guys in the locker room that he plans to negotiate a long term extension at the end of the season.

Again, this doesn't have to be an either or situation. One side being reasonable doesn't have to mean the other side must be unreasonable nor does one side giving in to the other side's wishes in a relationship means that an unreasonable position was taken in the first place. People are entitled to their own perspective you know.

If my boss wants to negotiate an extension and I wanted to wait after I completed some existing projects but my boss comes to me and says please it's really important that we get the extension done because we're building a team around you and the shareholders need to know you're on board to lead it. If I then change my mind after my boss' plea does it somehow "prove" that I took an unreasonable position? That's what you're saying here.
That's a good comparison scenario, I like that but it will probably be wrong

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Just like the two snips you had.. i mean give it a rest

No word on signing and no word on him leaving.. so nothing. I'm seriously laughing because I don't understand taking anything away from that clip, it might as well have been at a bar

I honestly can't believe this convoluted "argument"? is still going on. Trying so hard to say something but it doesn't even really make sense. The complete awe and subservience to the all mighty media throughout is pretty cringy too.

I think the Lindholm insurance concept is absurd. How is an unsigned UFA center of a completely different age and skill level insurance for anything? Like as if Petey thinks they would rather sign Lindholm instead (obviously not though) so he panic signs or something. What does he care if they sign him or another player if he's gone. That would be inevitable. Or if they sign Lindholm, they would have had no money for Petey, so they were never in a position to do that anyway. Doesn't make sense on any level.

Reactions: racerjoe and andora

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad