Seravalli: Pettersson extension could be finalized in the next few days

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Miller and Hughes make 8 million and 7.850 million till 2026-27, respectively. As long as those are on the books, they still have a comfortable window. You are saving so much on those contracts it makes the overpayment on whatever Pettersson's deal worth it. This isn't a Toronto situation.
Yea fair point, they did get themselves some good value contracts. I remember laughing at people who thought the Miller deal was bad.

Still though, every bad contract hurts

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Yea fair point, they did get themselves some good value contracts. I remember laughing at people who thought the Miller deal was bad.

Still though, every bad contract hurts
It's kind of a no-win situation; you are always losing in a Pettersson trade. If they move on from Mikheyev in the summer and the Myers contract comes off the books they could make some moves. I think a far more dangerous factor is they have 8 UFAs on the team right now + Hronek RFA.

This team will be most likely worse than last year just off the matter of most of these players need raises. That's the dangerous part and where likely some hurtful contracts will be signed.

Reactions: JKG33

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
We'll see. I've seen it first hand with the Leafs, how much this team has struggled after overpaying players.

I have a feeling it'll be an overpayment if it went from they don't know when he'll sign to they're close on a deal in a matter of a few days
They have 3 guys making 11 million with cap at 82.
In two years the cap will be well over 90, totally different scenarios.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Vancouver's window is about to slam closed once this deal is signed
1709181254334.png

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Yea, I mean they’d be much better off with a 36 year old and an $8.5M mistake down the middle.
Hey that 36 yr old probably has more cups than the entire Canucks roster (I say probably cause idk if yall have some random 4th liner that has a few cups or something)

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Hey that 36 yr old probably has more cups than the entire Canucks roster (I say probably cause idk if yall have some random 4th liner that has a few cups or something)
And what does that have to do with his future ability? Oh wait, you had no argument so just took a thinly veiled jab at the Canucks’ lack of cups. Cool.

Last edited:

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
Watch him surprise everyone w a 10m/8yr so they can attract more players. That'd be great
Yeah when I was a naive kid I wondered why Nick Lidstrom didn't sign for the league vet minimum so that Detroit could add another hall of famer.

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
Why is everyone assuming it will be some super high inflated cap hit?

Pettersson has repeatedly stated it’s about winning, he may elect to put his money where his mouth is. I’m not suggesting that will be some massive discount, but I bet you in a year or two it will look like a good deal contract.
Some people live in fantasy land where they think the cap will go up the same percentage that the NFL increases on a yearly basis. They are forgetting we live in Gary's NHL.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
So, uh, are we cool with not having to consider god awful trades for over the hill forwards and will never play in the league prospects with this news?

Can we also agree not to ever, ever, ever believe local or national deal breakers when it comes to Vancouver and players hating it here? Or just Van liver in general?

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I don't believe anything Seravelli says.
This would be a massive, massive blow to him. If he’s wrong, this is the biggest story in the NHL, he’s right for sure.

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
(Not that this argument matters at all)
Ian Cole has two Cups. As far as I can tell those are the only two rings in the Canucks dressing room (Bleuger is a weird one as he didn't play half of Vegas' regular season games nor a game in the Final last year, so technically doesn't qualify)...that is until Phil signs!

Reactions: JKG33

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
And what does that have to do with his future ability? Oh wait, you had no argument so just took a thinly veiled jab at the Canucks’ lack of cups. Cool.
And what did the Kings overpaying their centers have to do with EP? Oh right a thinly veiled jab. Don't act like i started it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad