Petr Mrazek

Does his play concern you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Right now, he looks worse to me than even last year. Not necessarily in stats, but in his play itself. His body language during play is terrible, and it constantly looks like he isn't focused on where the puck is. Right now it seems like anything thrown on net could go in, he looks so unfocused/unconfident.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Main problem here is 4Million as our backup. If he re-earns a starter or at minimum split position... than we should trade 1 of our 2 goalies.

If he doesn't re-earn a starters spot... try trading him for anything...

else just dont resign him.

(i say don't resign, as its nearly impossible to resign him for 1.2Million on the same team). (when was the last time someone took a pay cut as an RFA?)
Basically im saying release him to be a UFA. then if no one wants him, we resign for 1.2Mil.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
He's not getting a one-year qualifying at 100% of his current contract. He'll need to be released as a UFA.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
He was inconsistent last year. Many great games many bad ones.

All he needs to do is be consistent and it looks like he’s about to ride inconsistency this year again

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Ehh. Goalies are strange creatures. There’s definitely something there but who knows if he gets his act together. I’m not over him yet but I’m not gonna prop him up either. He needs to show something soon here.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Hes fine, it's a head thing with him. And when ass hat Kenny runs his mouth because the kid called him out does not help.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Hes fine, it's a head thing with him. And when ass hat Kenny runs his mouth because the kid called him out does not help.
boo hoo. if mrazek can't get over being called out for his shitty play, maybe he doesn't have the mental fortitude necessary to be an nhl goaltender

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I don't know about body language but as others said last week Mrazek's positioning and angles are off. He's sliding past the crease to make saves then scrambling wildly to get back. For years a few posters have said his "spectacular" saves are many times simply the result of losing his net and having to respond to shots frantically. His game is like a child's compared to Howard right now.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Jimmy Howard will be our starter as long as physically possible and Petr will not receive a qualifying offer from the red wings in the off-season.

That's how I see it, hopefully Pete can evolve into a legit NHL starter.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
it's certainly disappointing

as for the contract I actually view that as a positive right now,at least it's short

scary to think about what Holland would have done with that extra 4 million otherwise

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Don't think he looks that bad so far. But I'd rather offer Howard a contract extension than re-sign Petr at this moment.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
boo hoo. if mrazek can't get over being called out for his ****ty play, maybe he doesn't have the mental fortitude necessary to be an nhl goaltender

He wasn’t treated well when he was playing good either. Holland refused to get rid of gustavsson when it was clear mrazek was better

Just pointing that out. Not really defending here

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Don't think he looks that bad so far. But I'd rather offer Howard a contract extension than re-sign Petr at this moment.

You’d offer a guy that doesn’t really have a good contract right now an extension with his injury history?

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Mrazek was fine against Vegas.
Maybe the third goal was bad, but it looked deflected.
The first two were back door goals.
Good luck to any goalie with that.

Now is when you trade Howard. He's stringing some good starts together.
Even if he maintains his play, he'll be 34 by the end of the season. He's a UFA after next year.
You get an asset for him while you can.

And if Petr can't handle the job, Dahlin sweepstakes here we come.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
You’d offer a guy that doesn’t really have a good contract right now an extension with his injury history?
I'd assume he'd be a bit cheaper and way shorter term on an extension so yeah. He's playing the best hockey of his career, he's still not that old for a goalie, Mrazek sucks, none of our good prospect Gs are less than years away.. I don't see the issue.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He has to play games. You can’t ride Howard like a workhorse starter or he will get hurt.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'd assume he'd be a bit cheaper and way shorter term on an extension so yeah. He's playing the best hockey of his career, he's still not that old for a goalie, Mrazek sucks, none of our good prospect Gs are less than years away.. I don't see the issue.

Depends on the numbers, but if your body can’t handle a starter’s workload, you shouldn’t get the salary of a starter. Durability definitely matters in contract negotiations.

Maybe something like 3 million x 2 years would be ok for Howard... anything more and I’d say kick rocks and I’ll find something in UFA.

Last edited:

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
boo hoo. if mrazek can't get over being called out for his ****ty play, maybe he doesn't have the mental fortitude necessary to be an nhl goaltender
No you miss under stood son, He called out Kenny on how shitty the team was and that the kids can't stand his scapegoat Thrashill. And Kenny then said he had was a problem and left him unprotected. That is a big f*** you, I hope he leaves and shows the old man how good he is.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
2-season combined stats:
Howard, 0.931 sv%, 2.05 GAA
Mrazek, 0.901 sv%, 3.05 GAA

3-season combined stats:
Howard, 0.917 sv%, 2.46 GAA
Mrazek, 0.910 sv%, 2.69 GAA

4-season combined stats:
Howard, 0.914 sv%, 2.45 GAA
Mrazek, 0.912 sv%, 2.62 GAA

5-season combined stats:
Howard, 0.9130 sv%, 2.52 GAA
Mrazek, 0.9126 sv%, 2.58 GAA

Mrazek doen't impress me in here. He still has only one hot season.
Howard has been better long term and gap is growing bigger lately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad