Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Season Thread (Part Two)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Aren’t you the guy who had Faulkner in top 6 before season started. Now you don’t have him in line up? Good thing you’re just a keyboard manager and not the real one or the Petes would have to consider folding. You are very right. This will be revisited in 6 months. Let’s hope the boys that are here now can keep progressing as the season moves on. I was impressed with the Saginaw game. If we didn’t have a 16 year old on the ice every shift that was a very winnable game.
I assume you’d rather us waste picks to get some old plugs to Ram into the top 6 to still be bad while taking ice time away from the first round picks we just acquired? Sounds like a world class plan.

Reactions: Section5Petes

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
If I were an 08 the Petes wouldn’t be the team I’d want to be drafted to. I don’t see more than 1 forward and maybe a denfencman making the team next year.
I can see where you're coming from in some of your arguments here but this to this I would say there are going to be quite a lot of spots up for grabs on next year's roster. The players to fill some of those spots may be on the current roster and they still have 1/3 of a season to prove that they should be! But there will be healthy competition in camp and I think from an opportunity perspective saying players won't want to be drafted here is a MASSIVE stretch

The reality is that for locks for next season at this moment in time, the list is probably something like:

F
Melee - captain, best forward
Lefevbre - hopefully can take a Dubois esque leap next year
Page - he'll finish the year with 10+ goals, that will be enough
McCallum - '06, part of young core, 2nd on the team in scoring
Taylor - '07, traded for as part of new young core
Young - '07, traded for as part of new young core
Addy - '07, traded for as part of new young core
Cadorin - '07, I could see someone debating him as a lock but he has age and draft pedigree on his size and I personally like his game, he just needs to fill out.

D
Matejicek - has looked good since arrival, will be an import spot there
Strohack - '06, traded for as part of new core
Cameron - '07, future star
Ladds - '07, developing nicely with more ice time

G
Bowen - he'll be the goalie that is somewhat proven and a lock to be back

That's 13 players there, leaving 10 spots open...

I don't mean to slight any of the players but to run through them:

McIntrye - depends what they want to do with OAs as it does every year
Purdeller - depends what they want to do with OAs as it does every year, plus as an import it becomes less likely on both player and team end that he returns.
Binnie - won't be an OA with zero goals this year
Faulkner - 2 points, see what he does with more ice down the stretch
Partridge - 1 point, see what he does with more ice down the stretch

Haley - I actually like what I've seen from him so far and would lean towards him returning at this point.
Velliaris - obviously behind Haley in pecking order now with his reassignment
Woulds - I think playing his best hockey lately, hopefully it continues
Gauvreau - graduates

Sztuska - depends what they want to do with OAs as it does every year - the way he's played lately we should probably consider this possibility, at least at the start of the year
Rye - see what he does down the stretch

All of that is to say there will be plenty of spots for players to come in next year. Hell, even if you say they 100% bring back Haley, Woulds, Patridge and Faulkner, there are still 5 skater spots and potentially a goalie spot to fill.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Petes shouldn't have won that game but they also shouldn't have been short handed on the PP Ottawa won on. Gerrior sucker punched Strohack in that scrum, refs obviously only saw what happened after. Unfortunate way to end a game they were battling hard to stay in (and Sztuska was playing so well).

Reactions: Section5Petes

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Lack of offence is killing this young team. Older guys arent producing.
What older guys lol? Some players are pressing (Gauvreau threw a couple pizzas up the middle trying to make something happen on a quick transition) but this is just the reality of where this team is. Melee and Lefebvre are still making things happen and turning pucks over to the Petes benefit to make things happen.

I'm liking Ladds' game more every night.

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
What older guys lol? Some players are pressing (Gauvreau threw a couple pizzas up the middle trying to make something happen on a quick transition) but this is just the reality of where this team is. Melee and Lefebvre are still making things happen and turning pucks over to the Petes benefit to make things happen.

I'm liking Ladds' game more every night.

A comment. I am all for the Petes rebuilding process. I have been a season ticket holder for many years and support the team in good and bad years. Something that bothers me and it happened a lot last year when the Petes were strong and is :eek::eek::eek::eek:inuing this year, the Petes are down one goal with a few minutes left to play they call a time out one of the coaches gives instructions and I swear 95% of the time the puck ends up in the empty net.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
the Petes are down one goal with a few minutes left to play they call a time out one of the coaches gives instructions and I swear 95% of the time the puck ends up in the empty net.
Every team in hockey history calls a timeout in that scenario. If we want to talk about the coaches weaknesses in terms of offensive game plan I'm all for it but most people here seem to love Wilson's "pucks in deep, rugby scrum in the corner, hope for a bounce, then trap heavily, hope for a break off an opposition turnover" system.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Every team in hockey history calls a timeout in that scenario. If we want to talk about the coaches weaknesses in terms of offensive game plan I'm all for it but most people here seem to love Wilson's "pucks in deep, rugby scrum in the corner, hope for a bounce, then trap heavily, hope for a break off an opposition turnover" system.
I don’t know if I would say the fans love it… more so that you can’t argue with the results it’s produced.

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
I am a Wilson fan, my comment was not meant to point fingers but clearly we do not have a good record with the goalie pulled.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Why was my earlier post removed? I have no message from any mods, just mysteriously it disappeared. If there is a problem with a post, shouldn't we be notified what the problem is? As far as I am concerned, the post was factual.

• Haha
Reactions: I Loveallsports
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad