Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Going back to the 2017 memorial cup, the spits dominated going 3-0 with 14 goals for and 5 against in the preliminary round; then beat the OHL champ again in the final.
Hard to say the Spitfires were not the best team in the CHL.
Considering the fact that Windsor did not win a playoff round and the fact that they were well rested by the time the Memorial Cup and the other teams had three rounds of playoffs after the Spitfires were eliminated giving them the advantage of not being tired while the championship teams were. Erie was by far the best team in the OHL that year. Their dominance was similar to the 2004-2005 London Knights. There is no way the Spitfires were the best in the CHL. They won because they had the advantage of being well rested and had more time to prepare for the Memorial Cup they did not have to go through three rounds of playoffs to become OHL Champions.

Reactions: rve24

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Going back to the 2017 memorial cup, the spits dominated going 3-0 with 14 goals for and 5 against in the preliminary round; then beat the OHL champ again in the final.
Just went back and looked to see that the 2017 spits had three playoff wins and ZERO series wins. Must be nice to have all of your players back healthy and rested while your opponents are all worn out and battling injuries because they had to actually play hockey to get in the tournament.

Now get lost.

Reactions: rve24

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Spitfires lost in the first round against the Knights, who themselves lost in the second round to the OHL champion Erie Otters. The Knights were the only team to push the Otters to 7 games, and the Spitfires also went 7 games in their first round series with the Knights. Those were quite possibly the 3 best teams in the OHL that year.

Spitfires were a +9 in the round robin as you say; however Erie was a +7. Those were clearly the top 2 teams at the tournament and arguably in the CHL. So, was Windsor the best team in the CHL? Well, they did go 2-0 vs. Erie in the tournament; however Erie outshot them 70-41 over those two games (DiPietro was clearly the difference).

Windsor was the best CHL team at the tournament.
Erie was the best OHL team in the playoffs.

It's definitely possible for both to be true. And in 2017 that's what happened. Doesn't take anything away from either of these teams and their accomplishments. They are different accomplishments, but both are worthy of celebration.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Sudbury fans know what a dumpster fire our organization is. In fact they have the same number of memorial cup banners in the rafters thanks to the Cub Wolves 1932 memorial cup banner.
I didn’t realize we were talking about teams that don’t exist.

I was in Sudbury for work and watched them get swept. The only wolves banners I say were the one from the one time you went to the final and the banner you guy put up for the Covid cancelled season lol.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I didn’t realize we were talking about teams that don’t exist.

I was in Sudbury for work and watched them get swept. The only wolves banners I say were the one from the one time you went to the final and the banner you guy put up for the Covid cancelled season lol.
I agree. It is only the current franchise not previous franchises that are part of a team’s legacy. To me it is similar to the Oshawa Generals trying to claim the Memorial Cup championships from the 1940s and early 1950s as part of current franchise’s, that started in 1963, legacy.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TuckerFan1

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
Development Camp Rosters
IMG_6825.jpeg
IMG_6824.jpeg
IMG_6823.jpeg

Reactions: Section5Petes

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Then there’s the part that’s NOT
Genuinely impressed and a bit surprised Hage is there and the Petes need to do everything in their power to make sure he doesn't leave without a contract. Taylor-Hage together is LETHAL

On the Fitzgerald front, don't worry too much about this...Still believe he is going to sign

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Genuinely impressed and a bit surprised Hage is there and the Petes need to do everything in their power to make sure he doesn't leave without a contract. Taylor-Hage together is LETHAL

On the Fitzgerald front, don't worry too much about this...Still believe he is going to sign
Same, he has to drag it out to some extent, would look ridiculous to decommit from the team he just committed to this quickly.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Have to admit that was pretty exciting to see Hage in Peterborough today. Him and Caden Taylor together are money… If you’re reading this Alexander (ik you’re not) please sign with the Petes, you won’t regret it

Reactions: Ogie Junior

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Have to admit that was pretty exciting to see Hage in Peterborough today. Him and Caden Taylor together are money… If you’re reading this Alexander (ik you’re not) please sign with the Petes, you won’t regret it
Who were the standouts in your opinion?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3