Peterborough Petes 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Like the trade.....Happy for Simpson and now the Petes are down to 4 OAs to start the season.
Lockhart, Dubois, Gauvreau and Mayer

Only 3 can dress for each game but I'm guessing that Gauvreau and Mayer won't sit out until Konnor Smith returns from his injury - they'll need as much veteran presence on the back end as possible. I guess Lockhart could play back on defense though.

OK........so now what happens in goal?
Sztuska 2004
Bowen 2005
Rye 2006
Johnston 2007

Will another goalie trade happen or does Easton Rye play in the OJHL or GOJHL?
This is a good trade for the Petes. Zach Bowen is a good goaltender that we will have for the next two years at least if not three. I think that Peterborough will go with him as the starter, they will trade Liam Sztuska and keep Easton Rye as the backup. As for overages I am starting to think the Petes will go with Connor Lockhart, Sam Mayer and Cam Gauvreau as their three overages. Mayer and Gauvreau along with Donovan McCoy and Konnor Smith would likely give Peterborough the strongest defence in the East Division and one of the strongest in the Eastern Conference.

Last edited:

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Assuming Owen Beck is sent back to the OHL, which many believe is highly likely, here is a way too early top 6 potential destinations for Owen Beck if he was to be traded at the 2024 OHL trade deadline. These deals try to take into account past rental deals and are purely speculative with some being more reasonable or more doable than others. These deals assume it is simply just Owen Beck being dealt, although it is of course likely someone like Konnor Smith or Donovan McCoy (or other veteran players) could be included in a deal with Beck as well.

I like the most but I definitely do not see Hopkins being traded lol. If anything it would be something like battaglia, cavallin, 1 or 2 seconds and 2 3rds

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I like the most but I definitely do not see Hopkins being traded lol. If anything it would be something like battaglia, cavallin, 1 or 2 seconds and 2 3rds
With Hopkins not included in the the trade Kingston would have to include at least two, 2nds, two, thirds and a 4th round draft picks in a trade for Owen Beck.

Reactions: Section5Petes

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
With Hopkins not included in the the trade Kingston would have to include at least two, 2nds, two, thirds and a 4th round draft picks in a trade for Owen Beck.
Hopkins is the last player they’d trade on the team he’s about as same of a bet as miedema lol. Guy is an absolute stud but I think he will be like ludwinski was his first year-2nd or 3rd line centre but very productive in the minutes he plays. High energy guy and good 2 way game. Probably will play on penalty kill 2

Battaglia was one of the top 06’s in the league last year and that was while he wasn’t getting near as many minutes as some of the other players. He’s ready for a breakout season. If he plays in the top 6 I’d expect 20 goals

He will be a point a game player for a long time in the right setting. Kingston isn’t for him with the depth at forward he’s not playing over guys like miedema, Soto, ludwinski, frasca, outwater, or thibodeau. Cavallin has a lot of untapped potential but just like battaglia isn’t getting any minutes. Brooks is the same.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Hopkins is the last player they’d trade on the team he’s about as same of a bet as miedema lol. Guy is an absolute stud but I think he will be like ludwinski was his first year-2nd or 3rd line centre but very productive in the minutes he plays. High energy guy and good 2 way game. Probably will play on penalty kill 2

Battaglia was one of the top 06’s in the league last year and that was while he wasn’t getting near as many minutes as some of the other players. He’s ready for a breakout season. If he plays in the top 6 I’d expect 20 goals

He will be a point a game player for a long time in the right setting. Kingston isn’t for him with the depth at forward he’s not playing over guys like miedema, Soto, ludwinski, frasca, outwater, or thibodeau. Cavallin has a lot of untapped potential but just like battaglia isn’t getting any minutes. Brooks is the same.
As I have said in previous posts I am not sure the Petes are looking at getting a 16 year old for Owen Beck. They likely want a player that can step in right away and contribute. However by not including a 16 year old 1st rounder there would need to be draft picks included.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
As I have said in previous posts I am not sure the Petes are looking at getting a 16 year old for Owen Beck. They likely want a player that can step in right away and contribute. However by not including a 16 year old 1st rounder there would need to be draft picks included.
Why would they need a player that would step right in and contribute? They will in all likelihood not make the playoffs and can afford to play the long game with a 2007 first rounder.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Why would they need a player that would step right in and contribute? They will in all likelihood not make the playoffs and can afford to play the long game with a 2007 first rounder.
I think they expect to make the playoffs. If they keep both Sam Mayer and Cam Gauvreau they have the most experienced defense in the East Division. They just acquired a good goaltender from London in the Michael Simpson deal. Up front Connor Lockhart will lead the offence and players like Jonathan Melee, Tommy Purdeller, Chase Lefebvre and Sam McCue appear to be ready for breakout seasons. With a trade of a player instead of a 2nd round draft pick the Petes are showing they are looking at a quick rebuild and an older, more experienced player/s will help them this year but more importantly next year and the year after. The extra draft picks they get for not acquiring a top five 1st round pick will help with the rebuild.

Reactions: Section5Petes

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
I think they expect to make the playoffs. If they keep both Sam Mayer and Cam Gauvreau they have the most experienced defense in the East Division. They just acquired a good goaltender from London in the Michael Simpson deal. Up front Connor Lockhart will lead the offence and players like Jonathan Melee, Tommy Purdeller, Chase Lefebvre and Sam McCue appear to be ready for breakout seasons. With a trade of a player instead of a 2nd round draft pick the Petes are showing they are looking at a quick rebuild and an older, more experienced player/s will help them this year but more importantly next year and the year after. The extra draft picks they get for not acquiring a top five 1st round pick will help with the rebuild.
They don’t have enough offence this year to likely make playoffs. Other then Lockhart and Beck those other 4 scored a combined 21 goals last year

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
- Oke says plan is to roll with three goalies and make a decision when the time is right
- Forward Zack Lewis will not be on the Petes opening night roster and Oke is currently trying to find Lewis a new OHL home.

Last edited:

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
They don’t have enough offence this year to likely make playoffs. Other then Lockhart and Beck those other 4 scored a combined 21 goals last year
Jonathan Melee proved in the playoffs he could score and with offensive linemates his production will likely greatly increase. Tommy Purdeller and Chase Lefebvre proved in the playoffs when given the ice time with veteran players what they could do. Sam McCue has been scoring in exhibition games against teams that were dressing almost a full lineup. The Petes are going surprise many people this year.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Oh yeah for sure obviously no matter who is traded for beck you’ll get draft picks regardless of the team and obviously a young player or two

Hate to break it to you man but Simpson is just the first trade out of a lot of them that will be happening this year. It’s inevitable you guys will be rebuilding/retooling. beck, Mayer and lockhart will all be traded. Probably McCoy too. As you guys won’t be contending next year for his OA season.

Reactions: HF92

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Oh yeah for sure obviously no matter who is traded for beck you’ll get draft picks regardless of the team and obviously a young player or two

Hate to break it to you man but Simpson is just the first trade out of a lot of them that will be happening this year. It’s inevitable you guys will be rebuilding/retooling. beck, Mayer and lockhart will all be traded. Probably McCoy too. As you guys won’t be contending next year for his OA season.
Smith as well as he would be eligible to turn pro.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
True! Forgot about him! Would be a good top 4D on just about any team
I think Konnor Smith will be traded. I would expect the return would be a 17 or 18 year old defenceman plus a 2nd and 3rd round draft picks. My expectation is that the Petes will for sure trade Owen Beck, most likely Konnor Smith and maybe Sam Mayer at the deadline. They will keep Connor Lockhart and Donovan McCoy unless they get a great offer for one or both of them.

Reactions: HF92

Ryan Christensen

Mar 8, 2019
I don't agree with going with 3 goalies we all no rye will rot in the stands all year what a joke rye proved he's better then szuska don't know about bowen.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I don't agree with going with 3 goalies we all no rye will rot in the stands all year what a joke rye proved he's better then szuska don't know about bowen.
I do not think the Petes will go with all three goaltenders for the entire season. I think in the end Zach Bowen is the starting goaltender and Easton Rye will be the backup and Liam Sztuska will be likely be traded. They are not going to rush into a decision because I think they want to see who steps up and becomes the number one goaltender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad