Peter Mueller vs. Brian Little - who to draft first?

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
Jovofan said:
Actually I think people UNDERrate Mueller because he lacks a physical game (which IMO isn't really much of an issue since you can teach a player to use his size as opposed to teaching what Mueller already has). He stepped up his physical game in the series against the Giants in the playoffs somewhat which leads me to believe that it is possible for him to play with a bit of an edge, but, even if he doesn't he wouldn't be the only player who plays a soft game that is still successful in the NHL.

Take another player who had great hands, passing and offensive awareness and great vision but lacked a physical game, I believe he wore a couple of 9s on his back too. Now, before people jump on my back, I am NOT in any way saying that Mueller is as good as Gretzky, never ever ever ever would I say that, I'm just merely using it as an example.

In the new NHL, you don't really need to have those mammoth forwards who go into the offensive zone and crush some poor defenceman on the forecheck, the things that Mueller has, skating, vision, etc. is what translates well in this new style of game. Plus, if Mueller goes to a place where he has a larger winger who likes to crash and bang, all Mueller will have to do is get open and that guy will feed the puck to him and Mueller can take over from there.

I just think it's a joke that people downgrade Mueller because of a lack of physical game and say that the kid doesn't have heart because of it, he's got plenty and he showed it in the playoffs which is IMO the biggest testing ground for a prospect, 'does he step his game up when the chips are down?' In Mueller's case - yes.

I saw Mueller live in those games against the Giants and if as you say, "he stepped up his physical game in the series against the Giants", then he must be softer then I thought. In those games, he avoided any physical work in the corners and was pretty much on the perimeter most of the time. He has big time skill in his playmaking ability, but for a guy his size, his lack of physical play is alarming.

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
^ I meant once the series shifted back to Everett. The games in Vanocuver he was a perimeter player, I agree with you on that part, but, in Everett, you could tell he was making more of an effort to do some dirty work for his team. It was only two games, but it was enough to show me anyways that if necessary, he can go into the corners to try and make a play. Like I said, you can be taught how to use your size to your advantage once a team selects you, I wouldn't let his lack of physical play make me as a GM gun-shy about selecting him. Just my opinion though.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
I really like both players. I think Mueller is a very safe pick. He has good offensive tools good wheels and a big body. I think he'll be a good 2nd line Center in this league, maybe an 2 or 3 time all star.
I think Little is more of a risk/reward type pick. He's smaller than alot of the top prospects, but his offensive upside is HUGE. The new NHL is suited for players like him. He reminds me a bit of Derek Roy with a more physical side to his (In junior) and he doesn't dive all over the ice. (I love Roy, I played against him growing up but he does dive lol)

Little could be a big star in the NHL but he could also be a flash in the pan. This of course is all speculative and just my opinion. I'd take a chance on Little though. If your already have a good crop of prospects take Little, if not take the Safe pick in Peter Mueller.

Default101

hate to say this cause i like Brian Little alot, but Peter Mueller's skill is undenyable, i think he doesn't get nearly enough credit for what he can do on the ice, and i think he'll be one of those picks that goes between 7-9 that shocks people at the NHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad