Waived: Peter Holland

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
Peter Holland was waived by Toronto. Any chance we'll put in a claim on him? Didn't get to watch him much in Tor, but heard that he turned into a solid 2 way 3rd Line Center. Wouldn't mind claiming him and moving Rakell to wing.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
The worst team in the NHL last season just waived him.

That kind of says it all.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Peter Holland was waived by Toronto. Any chance we'll put in a claim on him? Didn't get to watch him much in Tor, but heard that he turned into a solid 2 way 3rd Line Center. Wouldn't mind claiming him and moving Rakell to wing.

With him going to arbitration, I don't think we're looking for one more headache to deal with. Also, he's not really solid two-way, and definitely not a solid 3C, at this point. Some Leafs fans were just pumping him up for some time, which is already coming to a stop.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
It's because his arbitration hearing on Monday. Maybe they wanted to drive his value down by waiving him?

Right, but you do that because you expect the player to pass through waivers. Once he passes, you can say "Hey look, his value isn't that high. He doesn't deserve what he's asking for."

They may be more than happy to retain him, but they clearly don't value him very highly. I don't see why he's worth the claim. He's 25 now. I'd rather use one of our prospects.

They have enough center depth in Kadri, Bozak, Matthews, Stamkos, Backes. And you can't move Holland to wing with JVR, Vesey, Corey Perry there.

:laugh: Well played.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
It's because his arbitration hearing on Monday. Maybe they wanted to drive his value down by waiving him?

If he really was a solid 3C, though, he'd be almost certain to get claimed, and at that point having driven his value down wouldn't have done much for them.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
With him going to arbitration, I don't think we're looking for one more headache to deal with. Also, he's not really solid two-way, and definitely not a solid 3C, at this point. Some Leafs fans were just pumping him up for some time, which is already coming to a stop.

Maybe, but I remember reading an article about him going into last year. Said something along the lines of him becoming a legit NHL due to his willingness to play a defensive game. I just read another article that Babcock would rather use other guys, so that could have also played into him being placed on waivers.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Maybe, but I remember reading an article about him going into last year. Said something along the lines of him becoming a legit NHL due to his willingness to play a defensive game. I just read another article that Babcock would rather use other guys, so that could have also played into him being placed on waivers.

I don't know, the Toronto media and their fans always seem very easy on guys when it comes to defensive games. JVR was known to be terrible defensively, then one year he started giving an honest effort at least without showing particular talent in that regard, and they slapped a "two-way" label on him. Any bit of effort is being overrated. I think that's the same thing with Holland.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
Can't take the risk on a guy heading to arbitration.

No real risk when we can walk away from it. If we put in a waiver, he can also negotiate a deal before his arbitration hearing. BM did say he was going to look at waivers. Thought it was interesting. He played well under Carlyle two years ago, so Randy would have an idea if he can be useful for Ducks.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
If Carlyle tells Murray it's worth a shot, I'd be fine with that. Even happy that Murray took the advice(I feel like the coach should be involved). I just don't think Holland has shown the kind of progress that suggests we should give him a shot.

He was actually given a pretty good opportunity in Toronto. More of one than he would be given here.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
In all honest he's probably better than all of our bottom 6 except Rakell.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
the only reason it's remotely worth considering is because of Thompson's injury. That said, I'd still rather pass.

Last edited:

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I always disliked Holland. How to explain why...

Big guy, questionable effort. No balls.

Maybe he fits in Ducks with his bad effor...

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
No real risk when we can walk away from it. If we put in a waiver, he can also negotiate a deal before his arbitration hearing. BM did say he was going to look at waivers. Thought it was interesting. He played well under Carlyle two years ago, so Randy would have an idea if he can be useful for Ducks.

You can only walk away if the award is $3.5M or greater.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
He really improved his Corsi under Babcock. Not sure if that was improvement or coaching philosophy, but did not look like he was that bad last year from a stats perspective for a bottom 6.

Could be a cheap signing.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
We have in our bottom 6

Rakell (when he gets re-signed and isn't used in the top 6)
Ritchie (if he shows that he is NHL ready and not used in the top 6)
Wagner
Boll
Raymond
Garbutt
Thompson (when he comes back from injury that wont be for a while)
Noesen

Holland would be a nice add to our bottom 6 the problem is salary.

Should have waived by Toronto in the title.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
We have in our bottom 6

Rakell (when he gets re-signed and isn't used in the top 6)
Ritchie (if he shows that he is NHL ready and not used in the top 6)
Wagner
Boll
Raymond
Garbutt
Thompson (when he comes back from injury that wont be for a while)
Noesen

Holland would be a nice add to our bottom 6 the problem is salary.

Should have waived by Toronto in the title.

Holland, Rakell and Noesen/Kerdiles could make a fun 3rd line. Sucks Rakell wouldn't have a proven scorer with him though

pesko

Sep 14, 2004
Only reason I see us having interest in bringing Holland back would be if Carlyle wants him and has any input on the roster. We need more quality, not quantity in the bottom 6 and Holland never seemed to be suited for that role, he's more of a offensive top 6 player who just doesn't have what it takes

They have enough center depth in Kadri, Bozak, Matthews, Stamkos, Backes. And you can't move Holland to wing with JVR, Vesey, Corey Perry there.

You forgot Tavares. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad