Music: Peter Gabriel

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
What do you guys think of Peter Gabriel?

My favorite song from him is this masterpice, its not one of his famous songs, i highly recommend it:

peter-gabriel.jpg

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I loved him in Genesis and I loved his first three solo albums, but my interest dropped off after that as he seemed to get more and more hit oriented.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002

Like him more than Collins, but definitely falls into the "overestimated geniuses" genre. Had a few bangers though.

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Gabriel's got one of those terrific voices I love, but can't quite pin down... a combination of crooning and barking. Not the best rock/pop vocalist, not the most unique, but very satisfying and immediately recognizable.

At the pop end of the spectrum, his songs are as catchy and slick as Phil Collins' stuff, but Gabriel's deeper cuts distinguish him as more soulful and experimental.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Solsbury Hill is an amazing song. I especially like the instrumental part.
Overall I liked a couple of his solo albums and singles.
I actually preferred Genesis with Collins for the first couple of albums until they became too commercial for my tastes. Trick of the Tail is my favourite album.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I loved Secret world Live.

It is easy to see why he had to leave Genesis--Too many creative people in that band and his ideas may have gotten not to the level that they ended up getting to

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I'm not musically inclined to know if a singer and/or song sounds technically beautiful, but "In Your Eyes" is by far my favourite song of his. Always love listening to it, and the many live versions I've seen of it online have all been amazing.

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
Games Without Frontiers creeped me out when it was released for some reason, but I have absolutely loved it ever since first hearing it. When I was little, I thought at the beginning when Kate Bush was singing the title in French, I thought she was singing "she's, so POP-u-lar" hahahahaha
Shock the Monkey is also great.
If Big Time ever comes up on the radio or my playlists, I absolutely CRANK it.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
His first three albums are so unique, taking elements of art rock, ambient, prog, pop, etc.

I'm very fascinated by that era of music when Robert Fripp, Phil Collins, Brian Eno, Adrian Belew, Tony Levin, Jerry Marrota, were all playing on each others records and stuff for Bowie/Zappa/Talking Heads. There was a lot of crossover.

Security is very good and you can see the influence it took and gave to New Wave and later Nine Inch Nails.

So is the perfect pop album to me.

Reactions: Fripp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad