Peter Forsberg: The Reality in Contrast With The Imagined, Romanticized Version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I'm always amused when someone tries to assert their reality as being more valid than anyone else's, because X.

Forsberg's stats are great, but they don't tell you what the visual test always will, which is that while Forsberg's skills were dynamic, his hockey sense was off the charts. The subtlety behind some of his moves, the intelligence behind some of his passes, the way he actively made his teammates better and his opponents worse - these things can't be measured with stats. He was a mold of player that the league isn't likely to see anytime soon.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Again, why would you only do their first ten years? This is biased towards Forsberg as it includes a teen-aged Sakic while excluding Sakic's career year in 2000/01.

It's much more fair than to chose a Sakic biased random period of time. And I didn't era ajust which gave Sakic a big advantage.

Ok, let's each select a period of say 8 years within the span of their careers. I'll take 1996-97 to 2003-04 for Forsberg. Now it's your turn (for Sakic).

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Forsberg had 1,27 PPG during that span. Sakic had 1.16 so you see that he still benefited from countung his early years in an high scoring era, but you are free to choose any 8 years period free of selection for Sakic:

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
In addition to that, Forsbergs NHL career was basically only 10 years so it's not so much of a choise so if you're not able to find any 8 years period in sakic career where he tops an injury prone Forsberg in general, it's not really to his advantage.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
As someone who devoured hockey in huge portions in the late nineties, and as one of that era Avs supporters, I feel fit to provide some info on how things looked back then.

There are myths circulating about everyone, you and me included. The biggest myth about Forsberg is his unselfishness. Peter bull****ted himself into believing his shot sucked, which in itself was very selfish, and thus he fully devoted himself to the type of game which became his trademark; keeping the puck until he saw the open road to pass to someone who then had to finish things off.

In retrospect, the most offending about it all I find the tripe of how he made his teammates better and how his unselfishness nurtured his linebabies.

He was as dependent, if not more, on his linemates, as his linemates were on him. If you play with this sort of playmaking center, you‘d better be pretty good at playing without a puck which is a sort of skill in itself. Also you have to be blessed with enough of foresight to anticipate what exactly is the insecure yet egomaniacal puck-hug gonna do, and when. It‘s absolutely no coincidence that both Peter and Joe enjoyed their arguably most successful seasons with Hejduk and Tanguay on the wings as those two were fine and clever wingers, something the Avs lacked in the nineties.

No offence to Lemieux, Deadmarsh, Kamensky and that other guy, Jones (was it?), but there was no way, especially for someone like Peter, to look at Art and think, „I may as well win this one this year”--unless he had better guys scoring for him, or unless he decided to shoot more regularly--which he never did. That moves us further.

Another huge myth about Peter is that he was not that good of a goal scorer. He, in fact, was a great scorer blessed with an accurate wrister which was cutting enough to help him score at least forty at his best. What made him truly intimidating-- when resolved to finish it off himself-- was his ability to improvise. He would score from situations most guys would not even think about getting anything out of. That‘s the reason maybe as much as half of his goals were highlight reel worthy. And the true reason behind his unselfishness?

I believe this was his stance and position of comfort -- if I leave the scoring to someone else, I‘m not expected to score, I‘m the assist guy. On the other hand, I can only surprise, which I will, because deep inside I know I can score a plenty. I would just hate to be expected scoring a lot of, that‘s all.

He was a good, good yet ridiculously unproductive scorer.

This explains why he got so good in the play-offs. It was either now or never. He really left his insecurities behind and started to play to his full potential. And boy, was he good, once he started shooting and using his skill to get into positions to shoot. Ask the Red Wings or the Stars fans. He was terrorizing these teams in the play-offs year in year out. The only way to stop him being a dirty play. Or ask the Oilers from 98 who somehow managed to sneak past the Avs although Forsberg was perhaps at his absolute best, scoring five goals and adding six assists in seven games in two out of which, the Avs were shut down. Which takes us to another myth. And another myth I‘ll avoid.

The third myth about Forsberg is that he was good in the play-offs. He, in fact, was great in the play-offs. It was absolutely not his fault the Avs got only two cups in their heyday. If you looked for the only guy responsible for that, you‘d find the need to tackle the man much less deserving of his praise than Peter. And since this place is full of folks who spray their shorts with maple syrup at night, I won‘t really go into that. I‘ll give you a hint though: Vernon, Osgood, Belfour, Hasek, the wrong pills.

Forsberg was not only great in the play-offs though. In the late nineties, he usually had a hot start. So did Joe. In both 95/96 and 96/97 seasons, Sakic and Forsberg were the scoring leaders for a while. In the 96/97 one, they were leading the league in points as late as 25 games in, with 40 each (if memory serves me well). This equity of points between them often puzzled me. As if they‘d had some kind of deal.

Anyway, after a hot start, Peter would slow down. [MOD]

Not that he would be a complete loser amidst the year. He just didn‘t have the lasting effect of Lemieux or Jagr, and sometimes even others, that‘s all. Throughout most years, little annoying injuries started popping up and as Peter slipped down the scoring race, they seemed to be more frequent.

Now to the „best player in the world--by how many and for how long, etc.”

You have to understand the late nineties meant a crazy situation for the league. The NHL was ruled by Euros.

Canada had its pets. Lindros, who had been hyped up so much he was predestined to fail, and Kariya, who was said to have been the most skilled player since Gretzky...

Not one of those two really dominated. In fact, the league situation was as crazy as dominated by two Czechs. Hasek and Jagr.

No offence to either. They, Jagr especially, were popular and great. But... If you‘re running a business like the NHL, you don‘t want its coverboys to be a bunch of schmucks from a ten-million country in the middle of nowhere. We all know how delicate hockey is to Canadiens. And how pesky they can be about it.

While there was no denying Hasek was the best, at his best, at least you could question Jagr. You could‘ve speculated how he would have fared in the West, you could‘ve whined about his defensive play, or you could remember Lemieux who dominated even more (and who retired for the fear he would be the second best on his team, since Jagr was the better if less productive player in 96/97, who invented the „Alex Kovalev the most skilled player I ever played with” myth only to tease the Czech guy and who then came back to help Jaromir when Jags was sloshing through the jam).

The tacit collusion was „OK, the best goalie is Czech, let‘s liberate the best forward title” -- for anyone to invent their pet.

And so by the start of every season, the best forward and the biggest favorite for Art Ross in Canada was Eric Lindros (if healthy), in Sweden, the same was agitated about Forsberg, in Russia, they probably said the same about Bure, in the Czech Republic, they moaned about Jagr, and had Finnish been easier to comprehend and not sounding too much like Japanese freezing their butt, we would have probably understood that „mijahaarvi ekuleino Teemu Selanne” meant something like „the best forward in the world, Teemu Selanne”.

The fact that Jagr always ended up winning it, well, it went ignored.

I remember this Swedish hockey magazine called „Pro Hockey”. For about two years, the editorial kept writing about Foppa the best player in the world as if it was the national consensus. Until one day, some pissed off kid named Mark or whatever wrote a letter that went along the lines of: who are you kidding? Have you heard of Jagr? Peter is so far behind every year it‘s scary. Yeah, he usually plays well for Sweden, but Sundin is still better. Please, stop it!”

The response? Quite a meditation. About how comparing Jagr and Forsberg was like comparing Saab and Volvo--and each of the two had their upsides... They never bothered to explain why they themselves were so taken with Volvo (or whatever Foppa was).

So there.

Yeah, there were people, even among players, who considered Forsberg the best player in the league. I remember myself being one of them (I couldn‘t stand Jagr), Bourque, Koivu, Stevens and maybe Smyth saying something like that, too. On the other hand, the opinions, when it comes to sports, usually stem from immediate impressions and a lot of bias. And when based on remembering and stats, they tend to have even lesser value.

I totally smile about the insecurity of people responding to Stevens saying how Forsberg was the best he ever faced. Like: „he must‘ve forgotten playing against Mario and Gretz!” You know, the Canadian answer.

Why could he not consider Forsberg better than Mario and Wayne? Because of statistical evidence and what you cook of it to have the best ever dilemma solved once for all?

It‘s numbers. And those huge number collectors, especially among athletes, are egomaniacs. Not neccessarily the best ones. And no matter what the numbers say, not to everyone. There will always be someone suggesting that Stastny could have been as good or even better than Gretzky, had he played for Edmonton. You can‘t prevent that.

Have pirouettes become a measured part of the game and see how many guys go from scoring and/or hitting people to just spinning there.

To me, there are no sacred cows. I‘m one of the people who watched a load of hockey then, so I‘ll say, Jagr was better than Mario in 96/97--if you disagree, waving the 122 point card in your hand, I‘ll advise you to travel back in time and watch the Pens games that year. 96/97 for Lemieux was what 93/94 was for Gretzky. The difference being, Gretzky was still depending on himself while Lemieux in 96/97 needed Jagr to produce. That‘s why he quit. He even said he didn‘t want his family see him not as good as he once had been. Read between the lines.

I‘ll also say that Peter is not getting overrated. Just misremembered.

I must say I approve of this post. I don't agree with everything here, saying Lindros never dominated is blatantly false , or that Forsberg was as dependent on his linemates as they were on him. A lot of the rest I think is fairly accurate though, and a few parts of your post had me cracked up a bit (laughing with you not at you).

He is a very misunderstood player among a lot here that either didn't get to watch him or seem to just dislike him a lot for whatever reason. The thing that gets me the most though is when people say he's hands down the most overrated player on this site, and there a quite a few of those, or the ones that harp about him being the biggest diver of all time, which is also far from the truth.

At the end of the day I'm just glad there are enough posters on here who seem to know what they're talking about when it comes to how good Forsberg was, and the way he played the game. They usually have much better arguments than the misinformed posters to me which sits very well with me.

When I first read the OP of this thread the first thing that came to mind was, he is just basically doing the opposite of what he was doing for Bure. Making a player into something he was not, except in a negative fashion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
The fact that they are even remotely close spreaks in the favor of Forsberg with out a doubt since he had MUCH fever close to full seasons and therefore much fever chances to get this after season recognition. Forsberg only had in total 5 seasons where he played more than 60 games, and finished top 10 in scoring each of those seasons. Sakic had 15 more than 60 games seasons. Thinking of that he should have accoplished more to be regarded better than Forsberg. Sakic also has 1,19 career points per game (vs Forsberg's 1,25) despite playing through the whole high scoring era of the early 90's and also in the even more so late 80's.

Sakic may have had a slightly "greater" career but to say that he was better than Forsberg while playing is obviously not true.

You misunderstood my post. I only at 1995 to 2004, so what Sakic accomplished before and after that was ignored. Sakic finished ahead of Forsberg six times in ten seasons.

The difference in games played is due to 2002. Even if we ignore that season (which is wrong - injuries are part of the game), Sakic still finished ahead of Forsberg five times in nine years (which supports my notion that the two players were close while at their peaks). The remaining difference in games played is minimal.

What specific argument exists that Forsberg had a better peak? Similar peak, fully agreed. I just don`t see the argument that Forsberg`s peak was better. And yes, I`ve watched both of them play - extensively.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Mod Note: Two posts that aren't adding to the discussion have been deleted. Nothing egregious, but please focus on arguments instead of other things. Thanks a lot.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
"Anyway, after a hot start, Peter would slow down." [MOD]

That's nor exactly how ir went down IMO. Peter usually "slowed down" because of one of his many mid season injuries, and even if they (at least early on) only lasted for a couple of games - weeks, he wasnt quite as produktive right away when returning from injury. He could have won many Art Ross if it wasnt for the injuries.

Last edited by a moderator:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
You misunderstood my post. I only at 1995 to 2004, so what Sakic accomplished before and after that was ignored. Sakic finished ahead of Forsberg six times in ten seasons.

The difference in games played is due to 2002. Even if we ignore that season (which is wrong - injuries are part of the game), Sakic still finished ahead of Forsberg five times in nine years (which supports my notion that the two players were close while at their peaks). The remaining difference in games played is minimal.

What specific argument exists that Forsberg had a better peak? Similar peak, fully agreed. I just don`t see the argument that Forsberg`s peak was better. And yes, I`ve watched both of them play - extensively.

It's certainly very close between them, Sakic is also one of the best players ever. If you asked each one of them who was the best of the two they would probably each say the other. Both are very humble individuals. However I believe one would of them would actually be telling the truth. ;)

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
"Anyway, after a hot start, Peter would slow down." [MOD]

That's nor exactly how ir went down IMO. Peter usually "slowed down" because of one of his many mid season injuries, and even if they (at least early on) only lasted for a couple of games - weeks, he wasnt quite as produktive right away when returning from injury. He could have won many Art Ross if it wasnt for the injuries.

What years would he won Art Rosses if not for injuries?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
It's much more fair than to chose a Sakic biased random period of time. And I didn't era ajust which gave Sakic a big advantage.

Ok, let's each select a period of say 8 years within the span of their careers. I'll take 1996-97 to 2003-04 for Forsberg. Now it's your turn (for Sakic).

Forsberg had 1,27 PPG during that span. Sakic had 1.16 so you see that he still benefited from countung his early years in an high scoring era, but you are free to choose any 8 years period free of selection for Sakic:

So instead of the six year sample where they are both in their primes, you think its more fair to pick a sample that has Joe at age 32-34, clearly past his prime?

Anyways, so you pick a 96-04 Forsberg who was 2nd in PPG (behind Jagr) and 5th in points over that time.

Sakic from 93-01 was 4th in PPG (behind Mario, Jagr and Lindros) and 2nd in points.

Take away Mario as an outlier and I take the player who was 3rd in PPG and 2nd in points.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
What years would he won Art Rosses if not for injuries?

To be fair he said could have not would have, there is a difference. However I will answer that. 2004 for sure, and 05-06 is very likely considering he was leading before he got injured. I think it was mentioned in here he was leading at some point in the 96-97 and 97-98 seasons then got hurt, though those seasons I don't think he would have done it.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015

It's completely useless to talk about "total amount of missed games" over several years. It's a typical argument to make a less injured player look better. What matters in that regard is how many close to full seasons, and therefore a chance to after season recognition and trophies, a player has. Forsberg had in total 5 seasons with more than 60 games played, while Sakic had 15 of those seasons. One would expect Sakic to have gathered a lot more hardware in all those chances to be regarded as good as Forsberg. It's also not sure if Forsbergs 60+ games seasons necessarily coincided with Forsbergs peaks. Noone will remember his 55 points in 37 games in the 2003-04 season even though he played the best hockey of his career IMO, and noone will know what he could have done in the 99-00 season, (right after his sensational 99 playoffs), when he missed first half a season due to injury. Nobody will talk about his 05-06 Flyers season when he led the league in points half way through and was widely regarded as the best player in the game when a mid season injury occured.

So you see, the disadvantage of his injuries is much bigger than you point out. Still he tops Sakic in career points per game 1.25 to 1.19 even without the era-adjusting of Sakic' first 6-7 years in a much higher scoring era.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
To be fair he said could have not would have, there is a difference. However I will answer that. 2004 for sure, and 05-06 is very likely considering he was leading before he got injured. I think it was mentioned in here he was leading at some point in the 96-97 and 97-98 seasons then got hurt, though those seasons I don't think he would have done it.

2004 seems reasonable. All the others not so much, especially ones where he wasn't even close to having the best PPG.

Even 97-98 is very questionable given Jagr lost some time too and had his weakest PPG in his Art Ross run.

Hexy

Jun 27, 2015
Caldaro
Sakic was incredibly good and collected more goals/points/awards than Forsberg in his career. I agree, it's a fact.

But while that may be true, Forsberg was the most fun player I ever had the chance to watch. He had that unique combination of grit, skill, smarts and heart nobody else ever had. Others may have scored more points, but he was such a treat for the eyes... it's shame his career got cut short.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
2004 seems reasonable. All the others not so much, especially ones where he wasn't even close to having the best PPG.

Even 97-98 is very questionable given Jagr lost some time too and had his weakest PPG in his Art Ross run.

Yeah I wouldn't disagree, though I think at the very least he would have been up there with Jagr and Thornton in 05-06, before he got hurt he looked like a better player than both of them.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
It's completely useless to talk about "total amount of missed games" over several years. It's a typical argument to make a less injured player look better. What matters in that regard is how many close to full seasons, and therefore a chance to after season recognition and trophies, a player has. Forsberg had in total 5 seasons with more than 60 games played, while Sakic had 15 of those seasons. One would expect Sakic to have gathered a lot more hardware in all those chances to be regarded as good as Forsberg. It's also not sure if Forsbergs 60+ games seasons necessarily coincided with Forsbergs peaks. Noone will remember his 55 points in 37 games in the 2003-04 season even though he played the best hockey of his career IMO, and noone will know what he could have done in the 99-00 season, (right after his sensational 99 playoffs), when he missed first half a season due to injury. Nobody will talk about his 05-06 Flyers season when he led the league in points half way through and was widely regarded as the best player in the game when a mid season injury occured.

So you see, the disadvantage of his injuries is much bigger than you point out. Still he tops Sakic in career points per game 1.25 to 1.19 even without the era-adjusting of Sakic' first 6-7 years in a much higher scoring era.

Because he was barely over a PPG in the games he did play. This is the exact reason this thread was made.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Sakic was incredibly good and collected more goals/points/awards than Forsberg in his career. I agree, it's a fact.

But while that may be true, Forsberg was the most fun player I ever had the chance to watch. He had that unique combination of grit, skill, smarts and heart nobody else ever had. Others may have scored more points, but he was such a treat for the eyes... it's shame his career got cut short.

You however just decribed a player that would be more than a treat for the team he's playing for on the ice, and more than a problem for the opposing team. It's not all about stats and awards. Awards especially. If you are looking at stats in the proper context Forsberg can appear to be better than Sakic, he just didn't play as long as the "stats" you are referring to would likely be career totals.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

It's been pointed out that sample sizes that remove the need to adjust scoring have them very close regardless of injuries.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI

He'd probably have a solid shot at both 1996-97 and 1997-98 if he wasn't being used as a penalty-killer - which I think gets overlooked when he's compared to late-1990s players who had a single-minded objective and were given the minutes of a #1 defenseman. 2003-04 is a very good shot. 2005-06, you can practically pinpoint the exact game he went from being the best offensive player in the league to merely a good one.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
So instead of the six year sample where they are both in their primes, you think its more fair to pick a sample that has Joe at age 32-34, clearly past his prime?

Anyways, so you pick a 96-04 Forsberg who was 2nd in PPG (behind Jagr) and 5th in points over that time.

Sakic from 93-01 was 4th in PPG (behind Mario, Jagr and Lindros) and 2nd in points.

Take away Mario as an outlier and I take the player who was 3rd in PPG and 2nd in points.

Ok, so you had to remove Mario etc. etc. and still didn't mention his points per game ratio even though he played a couple of those season pre-dead puck but ok... I'll tell you:

He had 1.27 PPG in this his best 8 year span in his career thats actually 0,1 worse than Forsberg in his 10 first years uncluding his rookie season.

In Forsbergs best 8 year span 1996-03 he had: 1,29 (Sakic: 1,22)

Sakic best 8 year span: 1,27
Forsbergs best 8 year span: 1,29

And era adjusted you can bet the difference had been higher.

You basically admitted that I was right.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Because he was barely over a PPG in the games he did play. This is the exact reason this thread was made.

It's just because of ignorant comments like this that I took time and wrote this post.
You can NOT look at any stats AFTER the season not PPG not anything and tell what would have happend had he stayed healthy! You have too look at the situation in context and where he was as a player BEFORE the injury accured. People making threads like this obviously didn't follow his career nor people making posts like this.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Ok, so you had to remove Mario etc. etc. and still didn't mention his points per game ratio even though he played a couple of those season pre-dead puck but ok... I'll tell you:

He had 1.27 PPG in this his best 8 year span in his career thats actually 0,1 worse than Forsberg in his 10 first years uncluding his rookie season.

In Forsbergs best 8 year span 1996-03 he had: 1,29 (Sakic: 1,22)

Sakic best 8 year span: 1,27
Forsbergs best 8 year span: 1,29

And era adjusted you can bet the difference had been higher.

You basically admitted that I was right.

First of all, you have changed the years around so are you now set with 96-03 for Forsberg or will you change the parameters again after I take you to school?

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015

Forsberg had 5 seasons with more than 60 games played, Sakic had 15 (!). Don't you think one would expect Sakic to have at least the double of Forsbergs hardware to be considered equal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad