Peter Budaj

NoNachoNoParty

Dec 8, 2011
Montreal
I for one aboslutely love this guy.
At first i wasn't satisfied they let Auld go, because imo he did a fairly good job for the times he was asked to play, and for what he was paid, he was worth it.
Then along came Budaj. I was ecstatic when they signed him, he had some rough times in Colorado, but he is a talented netminder. He isn't really used to the role he plays now, but still comes in and does his job fairly well ( other than 1 poor game i think ) and doesn't whine, and for what iv'e seen in some interviews, he seems like a very light-hearted and funny guy, and a great team player.
He really wasn't lucky yesterday and i was glad we could win it for him. Great guy.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
I met him at the Paramount movie theater while waiting in line at Tim Horton's. He seems like a good guy, polite, and reserved.

GinoCyber*

He finishes every sentence with, "you know?" while being interviewed.

I think it's a cultural thing. Hamerlik, Halak, & Plek also say that but not sure if all 4 are the same nationalities.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
He has been a good back-up, with the Avs, he was used in a 1A/B role which is why his numbers were so bad. I think its great that the Habs have got two great guys to mentor Price, Avs fans were calling Budaj one of the nicest guy in the NHL

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
in COL it's not like he was playing on all star teams too
could explain why his numbers weren't as good there
also i heard he never had a full time goalie coach

Muminek

Jan 20, 2012
The team seems to like him. He should play most of the games left, so the organisation can see if he gets better the more he plays. If it happens Price could be rested more in the next season, win-win for both goalies. Of course some people will try to force a goalie controversy right away but whatever.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
Worth every penny IMO

Disagree totally. There was no reason for the Habs to spend $1.2 million on a backup goalie. Sorry, but we could have gotten another one just as good for the league minimum.Way overpaid in my opinion and a waste of valuable cap space, especially considering Price, Patches and Subban will be seeking long lucrative contracts.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Auld was absolutely awful for us imo, and is in Ottawa as well. Budaj is a solid backup, he does what he needs to with average success.
Auld went 6-2-2, 2.64 GAA, .914 SV%. By all accounts he had a positive influence on Price. Auld was fine. Nothing earth shattering but a long way from 'absolutely awful.'

Count me in the camp that Budaj should have been on pace for about 17-20 games instead of the 12 or so he's on pace for. No need to run Price into the ground, especially now that the season is lost.

PunkinDrublic*

He finishes every sentence with, "you know?" while being interviewed. :laugh:

He's been okay since signing with Montreal. Done the job well for the most part when he's been called upon and acts like a down-to-earth type guy in the lockeroom.

Not quite as annoying as Kovalev's " like i said " :laugh:

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
I learnt a lot from this NHL article.

Therrien actually went to the team before he decided to start Tokarski. He met with "his" captain and Josh Gorges" before he decided to do it. That tells me two things, Therrien isn't an idiot like people like to say and is actually a big "team" proponent and secondly, Gorges really is a big part of the team leadership.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=720483&navid=nhl:topheads

Tomas Plekanec said:
If there's one guy in the hockey world who could take what happened in the best way, it's [Budaj]. I don't think there's any other player who could take it as well as he has. He's a real team guy. He's one of the best backup goalies I ever played with. He stays on the ice for so long every practice, every day. He doesn't have any optional practices or days off.

article said:
Therrien made his decision based on Tokarski's winning pedigree, something he proved by winning the 2008 Memorial Cup, the 2009 IIHF World Junior Championship and the 2012 Calder Cup.

But all that was news to Eller.

"I didn't even know that," he said. "Now I know."

You heard it here first boys, we are going to the Cup Finals. I don't believe, I know.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
It's obvious to me Tokarski is better than Budaj and Habs want him to get work so they don't bring him up to back up Carey and do nothing for most of the season.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
Budaj's probably chillin'
with Charles Prevost-Linton

Fun story about Charles: apparently he got axed after the Olympic break because he appeared in a Budweiser - a Molson competitor - ad singing the National Anthem, and that angered Geoff Molson. Which is why he hasn't been seen since.

Poor judgement. I'm a huge fan of his, but that wasn't smart.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
He finishes every sentence with, "you know?" while being interviewed. :laugh:

He's been okay since signing with Montreal. Done the job well for the most part when he's been called upon and acts like a down-to-earth type guy in the lockeroom.
I think it's a cultural thing. Hamerlik, Halak, & Plek also say that but not sure if all 4 are the same nationalities.

No it's how simple folk talk, it's just because we don't know how to close our statements. It's the same as "pi euh" in french.

Talking in front of a camera in an interview isn't exactly simple either.

Watch an interview in french with Leblanc. In his case it's "non c'est ça". Pretty much everyone does it up to some degree.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
Fun story about Charles: apparently he got axed after the Olympic break because he appeared in a Budweiser - a Molson competitor - ad singing the National Anthem, and that angered Geoff Molson. Which is why he hasn't been seen since.

Wow really? I didn't know they actually fired him. I don't know why he'd agree to be in a Bud ad...

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005

Did not know that, what an odd decision to appear in an ad for your boss's competition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad