Player Discussion: Petan

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I don't. They're all "our players". Even if you dislike a player, I'd hope you want them to be successful enough to net a good return

Deflating meant in terms of criticism - none of that going on here . . .
And I didn't say anything about disliking players.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Petan’s situation reminds a whole lot of Jeremy morin’s in Chicago (2nd round pick with junior success/world juniors success, lighting up the AHL but can’t stick in the NHL). Only time will tell I guess, but with Petan turning 24 in March, time is ticking for the kid.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I think it's funny people think some are wrong about Petan because he doesn't fit into this lineup. Wrong about what exactly?

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Pretty much keeps getting stepped on rightly or wrongly.

EDIT: What annoys me is you can’t tell me there haven’t been a handful of times in the past month or so that he couldn’t have been given a game or two. Even after a bad game Maurice will trot out Apple and Lemmy. He just forces it regardless. There could definitely be a more useful rotation somehow.

That's for sure.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
We are just to deep on the wings for Petan. The sad part is his value is just to low to move. I think he ends up as a throw in piece to sweeten the pot and likely thrives somewhere else.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013

Is this offer being made directly from the comfort of your private Yacht Larmex ?? It's a very generous offer, but I may have to push you to the limit, and get you to come up a bit, and we can get this deal done.

Your right on the other subject -- they need to get that WALL built, and keep those Yanks "out" of your private domain -- their just to loud and misbehaved.

I do have a counter offer that I'm going to make to you a little later Larmex, and see if I can get you to up to the amount we'll need to get this deal closed. :cool:
Let’s make it happen GNP!

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Very few skilled players started at the bottom Bogo.

Morrissey top 4 right off the bat with Buff
Ehlers started with Scheifele and Perrault
Conner started with Perrault and Armia
Laine consistently in the top 6

Only Roslovic and Petan started at the bottom and Roslovic has clearly done less then Petan did with his top 6 opportunity.

Also Petan has been quite good in the past with Copp and Armia or even this year on the fourth line, it just comes down to Maurice wanting a different elements for that role for good or for bad.
I think Surixon we view opportunity differently. You seem to imply that Petan should have been placed in optimal conditions to succeed because of his skill. But everyone coming to the NHL has some level of skill and some skill sets are more easily adapted to the NHL than others. My point I was making is all any of them can ask is to be dressed for a game. After that it is what you do even if it is in a role that doesn't highlight the strongest part of your game. Ehlers got tied to Thor during his rookie season and kept flying up and down the wing trying to pass to a plug, but while he was doing it he refined skills around zone exits and entries and how to keep himself below the puck defensively.

Copp (from the same draft class as Petan) is now back on the 4th with 2 raw rookies and they are excelling as well as producing offensively. And pushing up the 4th line minutes. Petan was given this opportunity earlier this season and wasn't able to run with it. As you said Rosie also started at the bottom and just kept doing what was asked and now finds himself in the top 6 and excelling. This also could have been Petan if he could have demonstrated he could play with the same type of speed Rosie did even in unfavorable conditions.

Maybe when Petan gets moved he lands in a situation that fits his skill set perfectly, but the Jets are far too skilled and deep to gift opportunity over other skilled players that have played their way into their current role.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
If he goes to another organization and gets top 6 or top 9 minutes and does well, that's good for him but not necessarily an indictment of the Jets assessment. The Jets have one of the deepest forward groups in the NHL and he couldn't dislodge anyone in the top 9. Success in the NHL has a lot to do with opportunity.

It's as much a system fit thing as a talent fit. We can still root for the guy where he goes next. But we dont have to freak out about our team evaluating people. The time to move on was November, now it's about giving him a chance somewhere.

He will be a 2nd or 3rd line guy somewhere on a meh team when he gets a chance. It's where he fits on a contending team that will be a question until he answers it. Go get em Nic!

Reactions: LowLefty

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I swear that some posters seem happy that a Jets' prospect/asset might fail in our system.

Or perhaps it's not really about the player, and more about the interactions on this forum.

It appears to be the end of the road in Winnipeg for Petan: I hope we get a good return for him, and that he sees success with another team
For me anyways Gin, Petan is just the backdrop to the discussion. My interest lies in a discussion on what constitutes opportunity in the NHL. I have nothing against Petan and wish him well, I see this more of a discussion of what is fair opportunity to give to a prospect/young player. Maybe I'm old school, but for me all a player can ask is to be dressed for a game no matter what the usage. After that you do whatever is asked of you to the best of your abilities with a smile on your face. If it is 5 minutes on the 4th line you stay in the right position, skate hard, finish checks, dump it in rather than risk a neutral zone turnover and get off the ice. If you do this well night after night, one day an other opportunity presents itself and with it a chance to move up the depth chart. This seems to have worked with the majority of our prospects.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think Surixon we view opportunity differently. You seem to imply that Petan should have been placed in optimal conditions to succeed because of his skill. But everyone coming to the NHL has some level of skill and some skill sets are more easily adapted to the NHL than others. My point I was making is all any of them can ask is to be dressed for a game. After that it is what you do even if it is in a role that doesn't highlight the strongest part of your game. Ehlers got tied to Thor during his rookie season and kept flying up and down the wing trying to pass to a plug, but while he was doing it he refined skills around zone exits and entries and how to keep himself below the puck defensively.

Copp (from the same draft class as Petan) is now back on the 4th with 2 raw rookies and they are excelling as well as producing offensively. And pushing up the 4th line minutes. Petan was given this opportunity earlier this season and wasn't able to run with it. As you said Rosie also started at the bottom and just kept doing what was asked and now finds himself in the top 6 and excelling. This also could have been Petan if he could have demonstrated he could play with the same type of speed Rosie did even in unfavorable conditions.

Maybe when Petan gets moved he lands in a situation that fits his skill set perfectly, but the Jets are far too skilled and deep to gift opportunity over other skilled players that have played their way into their current role.

I guess I don't see how he didn't run with it. He played quite well on the fourth line this year and in past years with Copp etc. Anyhow its a moot point as Maurice has his ideal fourth line now and it is performing. Although I think people shouldn't expect these results to continue as both the on ice shot % for appelton and Lemieux is 13% which is completely unsustainable. That and their PDO is 1.09. Petan's was 6.5% for what its worth.

My point was that most of our offensive minded players started in roles to succeed. The team is deeper now so it will be harder for our skilled guys to play up the lineup right off the bat. I am curious to see how Maurice now balances winning vs. optimally developing the skilled young players. Laine has been struggling, Roslovic hasn't been that great outside of the PP. We will have Ves and Niku more then likely on the roster next year. Is he going to keep pushing the unskilled guys like Morrow, Chariot (Who he likes better and trusts more) over our young talent to try to win more in the short term. I am curious as to how he does now that he is win mode and not develop mode.

Reactions: Jack722

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Re: 'playoff hockey'

Playoffs form a small sample size. Reading too much into those gets you nowhere.

That's ridiculous.

Playoffs will always be a 'small sample size'. It's the most important sample size. Playoff hockey is different, some players do better and some do worse. I know you HATE Myers but he was great for us in the playoffs. Who knows, maybe Petan is a playoff beast but I find it highly unlikely considering his style of play, level of execution and size.

I really do hope we give him a chance elsewhere to become a regular.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
For me anyways Gin, Petan is just the backdrop to the discussion. My interest lies in a discussion on what constitutes opportunity in the NHL. I have nothing against Petan and wish him well, I see this more of a discussion of what is fair opportunity to give to a prospect/young player. Maybe I'm old school, but for me all a player can ask is to be dressed for a game no matter what the usage. After that you do whatever is asked of you to the best of your abilities with a smile on your face. If it is 5 minutes on the 4th line you stay in the right position, skate hard, finish checks, dump it in rather than risk a neutral zone turnover and get off the ice. If you do this well night after night, one day an other opportunity presents itself and with it a chance to move up the depth chart. This seems to have worked with the majority of our prospects.

Petan has been given 100 games to stick, IMHO that is plenty of opportunity. People around here look at advanced stats and say that Nic has done enough and get more opportunity, but the coaching staff doesn't agree. Maurice does not make roster decisions in a vacuum, he has his GM and his assistants weighing in as well. At the end of the day, they have not seen enough from Petan to warrant giving him opportunity over the established and prospects in our system. My observations personally confirm that and I also trust this management group to make the right decision, as they have been pretty spot on so far.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think it's funny people think some are wrong about Petan because he doesn't fit into this lineup. Wrong about what exactly?
I think it's wrong in the sense that some disagree that he should be in the lineup over other players, not that he isn't skilled or could be an NHL'er.

I think he will land somewhere.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
That's ridiculous.

Playoffs will always be a 'small sample size'. It's the most important sample size. Playoff hockey is different, some players do better and some do worse. I know you HATE Myers but he was great for us in the playoffs. Who knows, maybe Petan is a playoff beast but I find it highly unlikely considering his style of play, level of execution and size.

I really do hope we give him a chance elsewhere to become a regular.
Take your strawmen the f*** away from here. I don't hate any Jet. I just know that some of them are not good enough for this team.

NHL playoffs don't even measure who the best team is properly. It only requires some very basic understanding of probability to figure this out. Similarly, it takes a lot larger sample size to measure player ability.

As an exercise: why do teams run into your Leinos and Bickells - bad regular season players who cash in on an unsustainably good playoff run? Moreover, how many players are there who literally suck in the playoffs but are excellent during the regular season?

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I think it's wrong in the sense that some disagree that he should be in the lineup over other players, not that he isn't skilled or could be an NHL'er.

He really isn't skilled or an nhler. Reading he might land as a middle 6 winger somewhere. Really. Roslovic is a middle 6 forward. If chevy was trying to trade him like he is petan he would be gone in a minute. He cant trade him because he ain't worth much and nobody wants to pay even a low round draft pick because he should be available in 3 weeks. If chevy gets a depth forward then petan would go on waivers. So many better players have passed through waivers this year hard to believe chevy can get more then an full time ahl player back in return.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Take your strawmen the **** away from here. I don't hate any Jet. I just know that some of them are not good enough for this team.

NHL playoffs don't even measure who the best team is properly. It only requires some very basic understanding of probability to figure this out. Similarly, it takes a lot larger sample size to measure player ability.

As an exercise: why do teams run into your Leinos and Bickells - bad regular season players who cash in on an unsustainably good playoff run? Moreover, how many players are there who literally suck in the playoffs but are excellent during the regular season?

Call it whatever you want - but Myers has shown on more than one occasion that when the importance of the game or situation rises, so does his level of play.

You were the guy who said Myers at any $$ is a bad signing :rolleyes:

Some guys bring added value in the playoffs - it's looking more and more like Myers is someone you want to have playing when the chips are down

BUT, you think he's awful and terrible and all that :laugh:

Reactions: kittiecarlyle

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014

He could be playing on this team, he just isn't. No slight to anyone, which many people seem to take it as.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
He really isn't skilled
skill
Dictionary result for skill

/skil/
noun
  1. the ability to do something well; expertise.
    "difficult work, taking great skill"
    synonyms:expertise, skillfulness, expertness, adeptness, adroitness, deftness, dexterity, ability, prowess, mastery, competence, competency, capability, efficiency, aptitude, artistry, art, finesse, flair, virtuosity, experience, professionalism, talent, cleverness, smartness, ingenuity, versatility, knack, readiness, handiness;
    informalknow-how
    "once again, he demonstrated his skill as a politician"
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]
    • a particular ability.
      plural noun: skills
      "the basic skills of cooking"
      synonyms:accomplishment, strength, gift, forte
      "bringing up a family gives you many skills"
      [TBODY] [/TBODY]

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
He really isn't skilled or an nhler. Reading he might land as a middle 6 winger somewhere. Really. Roslovic is a middle 6 forward. If chevy was trying to trade him like he is petan he would be gone in a minute. He cant trade him because he ain't worth much and nobody wants to pay even a low round draft pick because he should be available in 3 weeks. If chevy gets a depth forward then petan would go on waivers. So many better players have passed through waivers this year hard to believe chevy can get more then an full time ahl player back in return.
You not liking Petan has nothing to do with him being a skilled enough player to play in the NHL. It's quite ridiculous really, your dislike of him just seems petty and spiteful. Did he shoot your dog or something? It's just weird man.

It's kind of funny you support Maurice not playing Petan but never mention any defense of the org that drafted him in the spot they did. So Maurice is completely right about Petan and Chevy completely blew it with that pick? The completely overrated his skill? That doesn't sound a lot like how this team operates.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Miscellaneous Petanian ramblings...

If Petran ever puts up as many points as he has posts in this thread he will be in the NHL HOF ;)

This has been an interesting saga from my perspective. I followed Nic closely on Portland because of the Wpg-Brendan Leipsic connection (our kids played together) and was happy we drafted him. Even at that time, however, I knew (and cautioned) he would be high-risk, albeit potentially high-reward. For every MSL there are a dozen small CHL stars who don't make it, and Petan seems to lack the speed and aggressiveness of some of his NHL peers.

At the same time, his playmaking skills and advanced stats seemed to make a clear case for him over the other Brendan--B Lemieux. Given that Lemieux showed about as much impulse control and judgement as Evander Kane until recently... my preference was clear. I have a bias against idiots that I just cant shake!
Well, here we are 50+ games into the season; Kane is heading for a career year and Lemieux is outscoring Laine (in the world's smallest sample size). I got nuthin........:huh:

Petan's pal Brendan Leipsic is on his 4th NHL team and finally getting regular ice time on a bottom-tier team. There is no reason to think Nic can't do the same. Here's hoping.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad