News Article: Petan "on outside looking in"

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Why do we need to talk about a top 6? We have enough talent to put another second line together. We have a #1 line with Scheifele, an extremely good second line with Ehlers and Laine and enough talent to field another 2nd line.
And Lowry’s line is a very good 3rd line.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Montreal should grab him from us, be a good fit there, would have ample opportunity to grab a spot.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Because it takes draft picks and cap space to pull off offer sheets. A good many teams don't have the cap space to make an enticing enough offer to pull a player out of another team.

It also requires the player wanting to leave and go to the team making the offer. That may or may not be the case.

I think you're failing to pick up on that a $1.34 million or less offer results in zero compensation.

There are a number of players that won't be getting that offer from the Jets, Petan being one.

Rival GM's could certainly be driving up the Jets price to sign RFA's within our bottom 6 & the net result of multiple offer sheets could have significant implications on the Jets summer contract strategy.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think you're failing to pick up on that a $1.34 million or less offer results in zero compensation.

There are a number of players that won't be getting that offer from the Jets, Petan being one.

Rival GM's could certainly be driving up the Jets price to sign RFA's within our bottom 6 & the net result of multiple offer sheets could have significant implications on the Jets summer contract strategy.

Well sure, but they are also driving up the price on their bottom line players as well. You snag Petan from us for 1.3 million, what is stopping their fringe players from demanding that cost on their deals.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Why double down on a false narrative?

Perreault is literally the poster boy for consistency. You're also totally wrong on his goals production. Matty scored 7 goals in his last 42 games, good for 7th on the team, right where you'd expect a forward play 3rd line minutes would appear.

View attachment 124705
Before you take a shot at someone you should read first the post I made and check your facts. I said his last 42 games with the Jets. Not regular season games. That's 33 regular game plus 9 playoff games. So you are totally wrong, numbers guy. Check your math before calling me out.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Before you take a shot at someone you should read first the post I made and check your facts. I said his last 42 games with the Jets. Not regular season games. That's 33 regular game plus 9 playoff games. So you are totally wrong, numbers guy. Check your math before calling me out.

Why did you choose such an arbitrary number as 42 games? Was it because he scored 4 goals in the 6 games prior? Clearly you're cherry picking data.

You weren't exactly clear in your OP, but sure I'll concur you're correct. It's been 4 goals in his last 42 combined games.

His shooting percentage was also historically low over that time period. If you're memory is good you'll recall Perreault was the victim of highway robbery in many games & had absurd levels of bad puck luck. If I took the time I could provide video evidence of Frenchie being the victim of one highlight reel save after another.

The evidence of 548 shots with only 4 going in should on it's own prove that point. He finished the regular season over the 33 regular season games you reference shooting a team low 2.9%

Last edited:

ello

Jun 12, 2018
I remember another brilliant playmaker who many thought didn’t have the foot speed for the NHL. Adam Oates. And he seemed to do ok.
And a more recent example for me (and also a diminuitive junior who slid to the second round) would be Alex DeBrincat. He's listed at 5'7" compared to Petan's 5'9", and from what I've gotten to see from him his skating is about on par with Petan's, if not a little less explosive and yet the kid managed to score 28 goals and lead the Blackhawks in goals despite playing 14+ mins a game.

However, if I was a betting man I would say that there's a very good chance that Petan winds up being AHL fodder. DeBrincat seems to have better hockey sense along with an elite snapshot and is probably more of an exception when it comes to small players who aren't particularly fast, but I think his (Petan's) production in the AHL this year has earned him at least one more look from the Jets, especially if someone like Perreault is a cap casualty this offseason.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
I find it interesting that Perrault is often cited as the most likely guy to be replaced by Petan.

Unlike Petan, Perrault doesn't need to play with "good players" to do well, to the contrary, Perrault was dynamite when Perrault-Hendricks-Armia was a thing, yet the excuse for Petan time after time is that he's been weighed down by having to play with bottom six players.

Also, aside from size, I don't see a ton of comparison. Although Perrault's production was about on par with Petan's throughout the playoffs and latter part of the season this year I suppose.
i went to like 20 moose games and petan stood out in maybe 3 or 4 of them.. and alot of times he is a turn over machine with selfish plays. taking him over perrault is hilarious

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I had high hopes on Petan prior to his PP appearances previous season (2016-17). Then he managed to be an absolute garbage on PP, and my hopes died.

Smart and talented guy that could not handle the pressure. Obviously he needs to get an another opportunity and miraculously he might have a break out season. I just don't think that is the most probable outcome.

Besides, given the mindless fast cycle game I'm not sure that smart guys like Petan are really needed by Maurice. You need to be just fast and strong and able to keep the puck while cycling until the opponent is gassed enough and makes some mistakes. Petan is neither fast nor strong.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
And a more recent example for me (and also a diminuitive junior who slid to the second round) would be Alex DeBrincat. He's listed at 5'7" compared to Petan's 5'9", and from what I've gotten to see from him his skating is about on par with Petan's, if not a little less explosive and yet the kid managed to score 28 goals and lead the Blackhawks in goals despite playing 14+ mins a game.

However, if I was a betting man I would say that there's a very good chance that Petan winds up being AHL fodder. DeBrincat seems to have better hockey sense along with an elite snapshot and is probably more of an exception when it comes to small players who aren't particularly fast, but I think his (Petan's) production in the AHL this year has earned him at least one more look from the Jets, especially if someone like Perreault is a cap casualty this offseason.
Welcome aboard, and good observation on Petan. I do think the Jets sign him as a low cost option and he ends up being a 13/14 forward. IMO he will get his opportunities, but they will be intermittent and based on injuries, not the optimum usage some hope for. Again IMO he has played through his ELC giving glimmers of hope but unable to establish himself as more than a bubble player at this point in his career. He becomes this year's Dano.

Reactions: ello and wasup

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Montreal should grab him from us, be a good fit there, would have ample opportunity to grab a spot.

Good thought; I'd think Montreal is definitely in a position to take fliers on cheap centres with potentially high ceilings.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If Roslovic takes Stastny's spot to start the year, a conservative lineup estimate (not accounting for any potential signings) is:

Connor - Scheifele - Wheeler
Ehlers - Roslovic - Laine
Perreault - Little - Armia
Copp - Lowry - Tanev

Unless Perreault is traded, there's no room for him. I'd hope/assume that if Perreault is traded, there's a better replacement in mind than someone who hasn't cracked the NHL. Best case for him is the Jets promise him first shot as an injury replacement and he signs a one year deal for near league minimum.

Rosie at 2C isn't very conservative. But barring trade or injury that is likely our starting 12 F. Again, barring any trade that probably leaves Petan and Dano in the press box. But we know there will be injuries.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Rival GMs won't try to disrupt the Jets salary cap strategy with multiple offer sheets. They will only offer sheet players that make sense for them. It has the added effect of making their RFAs more expensive because there's a new comparable on the roster who's put up low numbers but is making more money than some more productive young RFAs on their team.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Removing the three veterans from the lineup [Wheeler(R), Little(R), Perreault(L)] leaves the roster like this

Centres: Scheifele (R), Lowry(L)
Left Wing: Ehlers(L), Connor(L), Copp(L), Tanev(L), Petan(L), Dano(L), Lemieux(L)
Right Wing: Laine(R), Armia(R), Roslovic(R)

Long term the big picture is the Jets have 4 right shooting forwards & 8 left shooting forwards as legitimate roster options.

I'll certainly agree that a trade from the Jets greatest strength at forward is left shooting wingers, certainly a reason to throw Pereault's name into trade debate.

What's interesting is Perrealt's consistency. A month by month view of SAT's have him dominating every month regardless of where he was placed in the lineup. He's the only player that was on the positive side of this equation every month and did so by a considerable margin, hence why he was 21st overall in the league. Jet's are very fortunate to have Frenchie on this team.

It wasn't long ago the Jets let another winger that drove possession go in Frolik. It's several years later and it's still seen as Chevy's biggest failure. With that said Frolik was lost to free agency. Trading Perreault would certainly reap dividends, but the team would be weaker, FAR weaker in the short term.

There's a number of Jets that if given the chance would turn each game into a track meet. Perreault brings a tremendous stabilizing influence. Mark my words his loss would result in this teams regression, perhaps marginally, but a step backwards nonetheless.

It's not about comparing the two. It's about Perreault at the age of 30 not be a consistent player. Sure once in awhile he shows glimpses of skill but is often hurt and disappears for chunks of games at a time. Matty having 3 goals over his last 42 games says it all. You don't pay over $4 million for that kind of production. Petan showed when playing with guys like Wheeler he can contribute but the longer he remains in the minors he would lose his confidence.

It's time to either give him a real chance or move him.

These 2 posts, one after the other. :laugh:
Clearly talking about 2 completely different players. :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Teams like the Canes and Arizona don't have much in the way of actual cash to sign players. They certainly don't want to piss teams off by offersheeting players so that their prime young players are then in turn targeted. Neither team can afford to be getting into a bidding war for their own talent. Heck Carolina didn't get very many good GM candidates because they couldn't afford to pay them. Both teams have quite a few real nice young players that will be coming due in the next few seasons.

I don't see many teams having the resources or space/budget to really pull things off. I guess Vegas is the one wild card.

I think you are mischaracterizing Canes as having no money. They couldn't get GM applicants because the new owner doesn't want to pay a GM. He plans on being the real GM himself and just wants a senior assistant in the job.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well sure, but they are also driving up the price on their bottom line players as well. You snag Petan from us for 1.3 million, what is stopping their fringe players from demanding that cost on their deals.

What stops them is being fringe players. Fringe players don't make demands.

Chief's scenario probably doesn't require 3x1.3. Petan would probably sign for less, 2x1.1 would probably be enough. Would Chevy match that? Maybe, maybe not. I'd guess not. The offer only needs to exceed the level Chevy would match. 3x1.3 makes it near certain but less probably gets it done.

There are probably a few players around the league who are in similar positions. A building team could poach a few good additions under that 1.3xx threshold.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Why did you choose such an arbitrary number as 42 games? Was it because he scored 4 goals in the 6 games prior? Clearly you're cherry picking data.

You weren't exactly clear in your OP, but sure I'll concur you're correct. It's been 4 goals in his last 42 combined games.

His shooting percentage was also historically low over that time period. If you're memory is good you'll recall Perreault was the victim of highway robbery in many games & had absurd levels of bad puck luck. If I took the time I could provide video evidence of Frenchie being the victim of one highlight reel save after another.

The evidence of 548 shots with only 4 going in should on it's own prove that point. He finished the regular season over the 33 regular season games you reference shooting a team low 2.9%

Because if you read my post, I said he was not a consistent player. So I highlighted how in the last 42 games he played, he only scored 3 goals. The fact you mention how he scored 4 in 6 games before actually makes my point for me. Simply put he is not consistent. He is not worth over $4 million a year for playing on the third and sometimes second line. You can't score 3 goals in the last 42 games ( arguably the most important games, end of the year and playoffs) and earn that kind of money.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
People seriously over rating Petan still. Guys done nothing to date in the NHL and dont tell me he wasn't given chances. He was. He just didnt do anything with them. If someone offers him 1.1 or 1.3 million... Bye bye Nic... Cuz hes shown he isnt worth that yet.

Reactions: Jets4Life

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Rival GMs won't try to disrupt the Jets salary cap strategy with multiple offer sheets. They will only offer sheet players that make sense for them. It has the added effect of making their RFAs more expensive because there's a new comparable on the roster who's put up low numbers but is making more money than some more productive young RFAs on their team.

I really don't think it works that way. It is about the strength of bargaining positions.

Are the Jets going to give Morrow 1.4 mil because Chiarot is getting that? I don't think so.

Reactions: JetBlue420

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Because if you read my post, I said he was not a consistent player. So I highlighted how in the last 42 games he played, he only scored 3 goals. The fact you mention how he scored 4 in 6 games before actually makes my point for me. Simply put he is not consistent. He is not worth over $4 million a year for playing on the third and sometimes second line. You can't score 3 goals in the last 42 games ( arguably the most important games, end of the year and playoffs) and earn that kind of money.

Except his play was consistent. His puck luck was inconsistent - but everybody's puck luck is inconsistent. His got a little extreme this year. That just means he is due for a hot streak.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
package him and the 59th to move up in the 2nd. draft best C available

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Petan has Vancouver written all over him. Benning likes his reclamation projects.

I don't think Petan is a bad prospect by any means. The unfortunate truth is that we have no place for him, either now or in the near future. If you added the fact that Maurice does not trust him, you'd quickly see the writing on the wall; Petan won't be a Jet for much longer.

We can probably get a third rounder for him in a trade without pushing it too much.

TorJet

Jun 27, 2016
We’ve seen Top-9 forwards (Perreault, Armia) perform well on the 4th line.

We have not seen Petan do the same.

The Jets have one of the deepest forward groups in the league (plus Vesalainen on the way) - based on a reasonable sample size I’ve not seen any evidence Petan is deserving of displacing anyone already in the Top 9.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad