Speculation: Pesce & Lindholm Contracts

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Your math is way, way off...
Youre Right, it will be about 20+mil of cap space that the Canucks will have to decide how they want to round out the roster.

I suspect they will use it mostly on , a Top 4 Dman, Top 6 winger and will re-sign Joshua and Bleuger. They will probably let Z , Myers and Laferty go.

This is the contract on the books with a healthy raise given to Pettersson and Hronek.

The total is 67 mil-ish

Suter 1.9 - Miller 8 - Boeser 6.6
Hoglander 1.1 - Pettersson 12- xxx
Mikhayev 4.7 - xxx- Garland 4.9
Podkolzin 925k - Aman 825k- Bains- 925k

Hughes 7.8 - Hronek 7.5
Soucy 3.2 - xxx
xxx- Juulsen 700k

Demko - 5mil
xxx

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Yeah I'm hoping to get him cheaper lol I'm fine with one down year

Lindholm will get the 9 Calgary offered him as a minimum it wasn't outrageous he turned it down at all
I'd tend to disagree on that. I don't think he's been great for a couple seasons now. I just don't know what he really does super well. Like he's there, he checks boxes but he should be in the 6s realistically if you don't wanna regret his contract. I think he'll get in the 7s from someone but if a team goes beyond that theyre in for a world of disappointment I think. 9 is crazy.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Yeah I'm hoping to get him cheaper lol I'm fine with one down year

Lindholm will get the 9 Calgary offered him as a minimum it wasn't outrageous he turned it down at all

I don't think Lindholm will get the 9. In Calgary, the vets had more or less gotten together and all tried to demand totally unreasonable contracts after what happened with Gaudreau/Tkachuk. A major reason for why Conroy shipped them all out.

I don't see Lindholm signing for more than $8/million per year, and if he does it's an overpay. He's great in the dot and on defence but his offence was overblown, as he found great chemistry with Gaudreau/Tkachuk. He'll be more of a 60 point guy in Vancouver, but also bring a lot of well rounde play they need in their top 6. The 7-8 years is what will kill the contract for Vancouver. Pettersson is in his prime now and guys like Miller and Boeser probably have 3-4 years of prime left, so signing Lindholm should be a no brainer, even if the back end hurts.

If the Nucks sign Lindholm and get a legit top 4 d-man, that should give them all the pieces they need to keep competing. I think they could upgrade their bottom six with some solid moves too.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
Lindholm - $8m-$8.5m depending on if he hits free agency

Pesce - around $6.5m x 7 if he hits free agency, someone will pay. Klingberg got $7m for a year, Dumba got a decent term at $6m, Severson just signed at $6.25m. He's only 28 at present so any team competing for the next 4-5 years will happily sign him and not care if it is a bad contract in years 5/6.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Lindholm - $8m-$8.5m depending on if he hits free agency

Pesce - around $6.5m x 7 if he hits free agency, someone will pay. Klingberg got $7m for a year, Dumba got a decent term at $6m, Severson just signed at $6.25m. He's only 28 at present so any team competing for the next 4-5 years will happily sign him and not care if it is a bad contract in years 5/6.

Minor quibble with Pesce data - he’s currently 29 and will be 30 in November.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
Minor quibble with Pesce data - he’s currently 29 and will be 30 in November.

Good spot, Capfriendly was lying to me on the active players list. They must take it from the start of the season.

Screenshot_20240214_182729_Samsung Internet.jpg

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Petey and Hronek Contracts are counting, they are rfas's so Myers expiring contract will cover their raises.....4mil raise for Peter, 2mil raise for Hronek. Give or take
This math doesn't work because when you remove a $6m player you must replace them with a ~$1m player so you only save $5m to spread around to Hronek and Pettersson.
The Canucks will realistically be a few million dollars short of being able to re-sign Lindholm. Lindholm will also be going for the money after having turned down $9m AAV from the Flames already.
They should try to re-sign him though.
The Canucks will probably have to move on from Garland and try to fill that spot with a cheap option in free agency.

Edit: I see others have already pointed some of this out - I didn't see this was a 2 page thread

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad