Speculation: Pesce & Lindholm Contracts

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Canucks will have around 30 mil cap space next year and thats after giving Pettersson and Hronek their raise.

I think they will see how Lindholm fits with the team during the rest of the regular season and playoffs.

He checks alot of the boxes like being a Right Shot Centreman and his 2 way game is sorely needed as the team is filled with alot of offence first forwards.

However, if the price is too much and or if he isnt a good fit, then I can see the Canucks going after someone like Geuntzel instead.

Pesce and Tanev will be high priority targets for Canucks as well.

Id say Lindholm will get around 7.75 mil x 6 yrs

Pesce probably around 7 mil as well

• Wow
Reactions: PROUD PAPA

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Canucks will have around 30 mil cap space next year and thats after giving Pettersson and Hronek their raise.

I think they will see how Lindholm fits with the team during the rest of the regular season and playoffs.
Capfriendly shows Van with 11 contracts and just $36.3 mill of cap room. Petey and Hronek is going to be $18-20 mill.

So around $16-18 mill left for the other 10 roster spots after they get signed. Possible, but a lot of $1 mill contracts to fill out the other 9 guys if they extend Lindholm. Would need to free up some cap space to fit him.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Capfriendly shows Van with 11 contracts and just $36.3 mill of cap room. Petey and Hronek is going to be $18-20 mill.

So around $16-18 mill left for the other 10 roster spots after they get signed. Possible, but a lot of $1 mill contracts to fill out the other 9 guys if they extend Lindholm. Would need to free up some cap space to fit him.

Petey and Hronek Contracts are counting, they are rfas's so Myers expiring contract will cover their raises.....4mil raise for Peter, 2mil raise for Hronek. Give or take

The core is locked up but they will need re-sign the right players and rebuild the defence.

But they will definitely have alot of cap space to spend or trade for whomever they want like Lindholm.

Pettersson 12mil?
Miller 8mil
Hughes 7.8mil
Hronek 7.5 mil?
Boeser 6.6 mil
Demko 5mil
Garland 4.9
Soucy 3.2
Hoglander 1.1
Mikh 4.75
Suter 1.6

Id love to go after Pesce /Tanev and Geuntzel this off-season. I also think Joshua should be their priority to re-sign. Lindholm im still on the fence with if we want what he brings.

Thats around 60 mil on their main players, including new contracts for Pettersson and Hronkey.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Anyone paying Pesce over 7 will regret it he’s already showing signs that his skating is gonna fall off. Good comparable would be the Severson contract imo

Reactions: Conbon and DaveG

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I wonder if the league squeezes on Pesce. He earned the Parayko deal through the first 5 years of his 2nd contract, but is limping to the finish line. A lost step around 30 (turns it in November) can be the difference between #2 and 2nd pair quality. The market hasn't made a large commitment to the latter; Chiarot, Manson, Murphy, Savard and Larsson ranged from $3.5 mil -$4.75 mil on a 4 year deal in recent years.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Petey and Hronek Contracts are counting, they are rfas's so Myers expiring contract will cover their raises.....4mil raise for Peter, 2mil raise for Hronek. Give or take

The core is locked up but they will need re-sign the right players and rebuild the defence.

But they will definitely have alot of cap space to spend or trade for whomever they want like Lindholm.

Pettersson 12mil?
Miller 8mil
Hughes 7.8mil
Hronek 7.5 mil?
Boeser 6.6 mil
Demko 5mil
Garland 4.9
Soucy 3.2
Hoglander 1.1
Mikh 4.75
Suter 1.6

Id love to go after Pesce /Tanev and Geuntzel this off-season. I also think Joshua should be their priority to re-sign. Lindholm im still on the fence with if we want what he brings.

Thats around 60 mil on their main players, including new contracts for Pettersson and Hronkey.
Your math is off. After Pettersson and Hronek sign (assuming $20 million combined) they have about $16 million to sign everyone else. Might be room for Lindholm but they'll be losing Zadorov, Blueger, Joshua, Lafferty, Desmith if that's the case. Not a chance they have room for Guentzel.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
People should watch Pesce this season. He's not the player he was even last year. He's lost a step and didn't have an extra one to lose in the first place.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
People should watch Pesce this season. He's not the player he was even last year. He's lost a step and didn't have an extra one to lose in the first place.
Yeah I'm hoping to get him cheaper lol I'm fine with one down year

Lindholm will get the 9 Calgary offered him as a minimum it wasn't outrageous he turned it down at all

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I wonder if the league squeezes on Pesce. He earned the Parayko deal through the first 5 years of his 2nd contract, but is limping to the finish line. A lost step around 30 (turns it in November) can be the difference between #2 and 2nd pair quality. The market hasn't made a large commitment to the latter; Chiarot, Manson, Murphy, Savard and Larsson ranged from $3.5 mil -$4.75 mil on a 4 year deal in recent years.

Yeah but with the cap jump you just need one GM with a pile of dollars with no where to put it.

I wonder if it would matter as much if he got away from that man coverage.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
he was slower in the beginning of the season but has been his usual very good self the last 2 plus months. Edge says he has a top speed that is higher than last year. His burst ratings look to be on par for meeting last season's numbers.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Yeah but with the cap jump you just need one GM with a pile of dollars with no where to put it.

I wonder if it would matter as much if he got away from that man coverage.

Maybe an Orlov-type deal is an option here. A team like Buffalo has the need and cap space to trade a big number for term. Then he could take a middle pair contract on the backside, if he holds up.

Reactions: zman77 and DaveG

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I don't mind 8*4 for lindholm if hes looking for 8+, term is important now that canucks have competent management.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Pesce having a down year offensively certainly won’t help his contract ask this summer. He’s no offensive dynamo, but generally, he’s been a lock for 30 or so pts a season. He’ll be lucky to crack 15pts at his current rate of production.

I still think he gets $6M+ from someone. If he gets that for 7yrs or more, that’s a deal that won’t age well, at all. I’d love the Canes locking him up for 3-4more years, but he has absolutely no logical reason to consider that. He’ll be looking for a max term deal, imho.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Your math is off. After Pettersson and Hronek sign (assuming $20 million combined) they have about $16 million to sign everyone else. Might be room for Lindholm but they'll be losing Zadorov, Blueger, Joshua, Lafferty, Desmith if that's the case. Not a chance they have room for Guentzel.
You can trade Mik and or Garland and replace them with more cost efficient contracts for the third line (equivalent). But the math you have is correct and Urban is incorrect. I’m not sure both Hronek and Pettersson stay. Let’s say you can sign Lindholm and Guentzel and that creates a top four with them and Miller and Boeser, I would think you have room to trade Pettersson for a couple young studs, or likewise if you keep Petty, I think you can get a good prospect and a first for Hronek and use half the cap space on Tanev.

I don’t pay Hronek more than Hughes and I don’t Pay Pettersson over $12m as it would handcuff the team. That is still $20m (ish) for the two, beyond that we could use the resources better with alternatives.

Has any team won when a forward is making top of Cap? Pittsburgh and Washington come to mind, but not when the contracts were first signed but after they averaged down if I recall correctly.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Pesce having a down year offensively certainly won’t help his contract ask this summer. He’s no offensive dynamo, but generally, he’s been a lock for 30 or so pts a season. He’ll be lucky to crack 15pts at his current rate of production.

I still think he gets $6M+ from someone. If he gets that for 7yrs or more, that’s a deal that won’t age well, at all. I’d love the Canes locking him up for 3-4more years, but he has absolutely no logical reason to consider that. He’ll be looking for a max term deal, imho.
I'd go in the 6's for Pesce in Toronto no problem on the open market, I think hes going to get some interesting term thrown at him too if teams are really banking on his start to the season being a blip.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Pesce is a big red flag for me. Trending downwards and he’s going to want a long term contract.

Is this year in terms of production just a down year or is he becoming an offensive blackhole?

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
You can trade Mik and or Garland and replace them with more cost efficient contracts for the third line (equivalent). But the math you have is correct and Urban is incorrect. I’m not sure both Hronek and Pettersson stay. Let’s say you can sign Lindholm and Guentzel and that creates a top four with them and Miller and Boeser, I would think you have room to trade Pettersson for a couple young studs, or likewise if you keep Petty, I think you can get a good prospect and a first for Hronek and use half the cap space on Tanev.

I don’t pay Hronek more than Hughes and I don’t Pay Pettersson over $12m as it would handcuff the team. That is still $20m (ish) for the two, beyond that we could use the resources better with alternatives.

Has any team won when a forward is making top of Cap? Pittsburgh and Washington come to mind, but not when the contracts were first signed but after they averaged down if I recall correctly.
IMG_2145.jpeg

Reactions: Seanaconda

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
On the one hand, Pesce perhaps could look better defensively in a zone coverage system where he didn't have to be as mobile. On the other hand, our system tends to inflate offensive stats for defensemen. Pesce is a soldier but he has some of the worst vision and shot selection in the offensive zone. Additionally, this year and last year we're seeing more and more times where he just misses an assignment and gets burned. It makes sense cap-wise for the Canes to move on and find a cheaper young guy to grow into his spot on, but at the same time we will miss him.

Even with his occasional mistakes, he's still better at the defensive parts of being a defenseman than 90% of the league.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Lindholm could sign between 7.5 to 8.5 for 8 years.

I would like that number in that 7.5 to 8 range.

Pesce is interesting. He has taken a step down In a contract year so that may hit his value. Top 4 defensemen especially top pairing quality (even if he no longer is) is highly valued. I could see a GM overpay.
Let's say 6.5 for 7 years.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Pettersson 12mil?
Miller 8mil
Hughes 7.8mil
Hronek 7.5 mil?
Boeser 6.6 mil
Demko 5mil
Garland 4.9
Soucy 3.2
Hoglander 1.1
Mikh 4.75
Suter 1.6

Not how that works.

They have 36+ in space right now in the offseason. 10-12 for Pettersson and 6-7 for Hronek, knocks that down to17-20 mil left over. They also need to add 2 or 3 defenceman, plus add some forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00