Perunovich

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I’m saying that his size is not an excuse as to why he can’t defend in the NHL. He hasn’t played enough to know for sure, but the small sample size doesn’t look good so far.
i'm just saying that his size is largest reason he can't defend and at that size you gotta be super special to be plus defender and he ain't it. but if he is only slightly minus defender he would be a valuable player (if he were ever healthy). to date he has been super minus defensively.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
We have been getting so out-possessed that we really haven't been able to shelter anyone from a zone-start perspective. Small sample size, but Tucker and Scandella actually have the two highest O-zone start percentages among the blue line and are 3rd/4th highest in O-zone faceoff percentage. However, they are 5th/6th in high danger chance percentage and expected goal percentage. Them getting caved in hasn't been all about zone starts. Meanwhile, Krug is 4th highest in O-Zone start percentage and 5th highest in O-Zone faceoff percentage. We really haven't been sheltering Krug this year (from a zone start standpoint).

Again, this is probably a result of spending so much time in our own zone more than a conscious effort to use Krug there. But so far, we can't pin the Scandella-Tucker pair's struggles on our sheltering of Krug.

I want Perunovich playing tonight and I genuinely don't care who of Krug, Scandella, or Tucker comes out of the lineup to make it happen. We have been absolutely putrid at getting the puck out of our own zone and we aren't even using Scandella or Tucker on the PK in a meaningful way (they are 5th and 6th in PK time). I'm also very much okay with running 11F and 7 D to make it happen.
I’m no hockey strategy expert, but I thought the zone time issue was a potential down side to the defensive adjustments the leave a player in better position to contest the backdoor stuff.

In other words, I don’t think they will be a transient problem.

I’m not convinced this is a viable total system, if O zone time isn’t complimentary to what the defense is doing.

The Blues were easy to play against last season. They’re different in some ways, but so far they still look easy to play against. I have a hard time squaring that with Berube being the head coach.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
We have been getting so out-possessed that we really haven't been able to shelter anyone from a zone-start perspective. Small sample size, but Tucker and Scandella actually have the two highest O-zone start percentages among the blue line and are 3rd/4th highest in O-zone faceoff percentage. However, they are 5th/6th in high danger chance percentage and expected goal percentage. Them getting caved in hasn't been all about zone starts. Meanwhile, Krug is 4th highest in O-Zone start percentage and 5th highest in O-Zone faceoff percentage. We really haven't been sheltering Krug this year (from a zone start standpoint).

Again, this is probably a result of spending so much time in our own zone more than a conscious effort to use Krug there. But so far, we can't pin the Scandella-Tucker pair's struggles on our sheltering of Krug.

I want Perunovich playing tonight and I genuinely don't care who of Krug, Scandella, or Tucker comes out of the lineup to make it happen. We have been absolutely putrid at getting the puck out of our own zone and we aren't even using Scandella or Tucker on the PK in a meaningful way (they are 5th and 6th in PK time). I'm also very much okay with running 11F and 7 D to make it happen.
Good call out on the stats for the season. I was talking about the last game specifically, but I did extrapolate that to the whole season and one game is a very small sample size. I wasn't pinning their struggles on their usage though. They have been bad (Tucker more so than Scandella who has had some bright spots). I was merely saying that Perunovich would make our already poor defense even more poor. Krug may be getting more balance usage and he may be doing better than Tucker/Scandella, but he is still not killing it. He's worst on team in GF%, and worse than Scandella in CF and SCF% as well. We should be sheltering Krug more. Scandella would do better without Tucker on his off-side stappled to him. We aren't bencing Krug. Perunovich for Scandella or Tucker would be even worse and make it harder to shelter Krug like we should.

And I just don't think Perunovich will help for all the reasons you outlined in your other post. Whatever sheltering you do, he is too poor defensively. You cannot shelter enough to make him an advantage.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Good call out on the stats for the season. I was talking about the last game specifically, but I did extrapolate that to the whole season and one game is a very small sample size. I wasn't pinning their struggles on their usage though. They have been bad (Tucker more so than Scandella who has had some bright spots). I was merely saying that Perunovich would make our already poor defense even more poor. Krug may be getting more balance usage and he may be doing better than Tucker/Scandella, but he is still not killing it. He's worst on team in GF%, and worse than Scandella in CF and SCF% as well. We should be sheltering Krug more. Scandella would do better without Tucker on his off-side stappled to him. We aren't bencing Krug. Perunovich for Scandella or Tucker would be even worse and make it harder to shelter Krug like we should.

And I just don't think Perunovich will help for all the reasons you outlined in your other post. Whatever sheltering you do, he is too poor defensively. You cannot shelter enough to make him an advantage.
you may be right, but in that case peru has no value so if he gets claimed on waivers who cares? having him sit in press box bc we are afraid to play him and afraid to lose him seems like bad choice.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
you may be right, but in that case peru has no value so if he gets claimed on waivers who cares? having him sit in press box bc we are afraid to play him and afraid to lose him seems like bad choice.

Good question. I don't know why. We should have traded him if we could long ago in my book. I want to lose now though, so play him and Krug on the top pair against the best competition. Let's burn this shit down.

• Haha
Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
what is Tucker's skill set?
6-2 and 205?
ok in front of his net and in the corner?
he is mean to people after the play?

when I watch him I see a smaller, slower Bortz (and I mean current Bortz, not young Bortz) with Mikkola's puck skills

Good question. Honestly he may end up being somewhat like Mikkola, which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. We need a tough, defensive guy a lot more than a offense first guy like Perunovich but it remains to be seen how good Tucker can be. He may never be more than a replacement level player. Despite that, I'm all for putting Perunovich in the lineup next game to see what he can do. Honestly dressing 7 D might not be a bad idea for this team right now.

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I’m no hockey strategy expert, but I thought the zone time issue was a potential down side to the defensive adjustments the leave a player in better position to contest the backdoor stuff.

In other words, I don’t think they will be a transient problem.

I’m not convinced this is a viable total system, if O zone time isn’t complimentary to what the defense is doing.

The Blues were easy to play against last season. They’re different in some ways, but so far they still look easy to play against. I have a hard time squaring that with Berube being the head coach.

It's not inherently if you have the guys who can win battles consistently down low and generate chances off the cycle. The biggest downside of keeping guys as low in our zone as we are in theory is that the 3rd man will be later joining the rush. You can also see this with the Blues this year, we aren't nearly as dangerous off the rush and aren't getting those quick counter goals we saw a lot the last 2 years. The system they're implementing is perfectly viable if you have the team for it, but I don't think we do.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Johnny Danger

Jul 7, 2002
Suisse
Visit site
i'm following Perunovich for quite a while and I'm happy he's finally healthy and able to play. beside this most important thing: how do you like his game so far? I'm wondering what he can do in the offense, as he's been such a great offensive dman in college hockey. but for now, this doesn't seem to translate. at least not in stats ...

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
He should be a forward so he doesn't have to worry about playing defense, because his defense is ... well, just read through this thread for starters. But if he's going to be a defenseman, we should have parked him at Springfield for a year and told him "do nothing else but learn how to play defense" and then given him a 2nd year to put the offensive side of his game with that.

Instead, we rushed him because 2nd round pick, Hobey Baker, look at that offense, gotta have it on the roster now, can't miss! and it's going to hurt his all-around game for the rest of his career.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
i'm following Perunovich for quite a while and I'm happy he's finally healthy and able to play. beside this most important thing: how do you like his game so far? I'm wondering what he can do in the offense, as he's been such a great offensive dman in college hockey. but for now, this doesn't seem to translate. at least not in stats ...
I am not impressed at all. His defensive game is lacking, and he does not provide enough offense to justify it. Unlike others, I don't think his defensive game will significantly improve with more playing time. At this point, I think this is what he is. I hope he can be packaged in a trade.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
He should be a forward so he doesn't have to worry about playing defense, because his defense is ... well, just read through this thread for starters. But if he's going to be a defenseman, we should have parked him at Springfield for a year and told him "do nothing else but learn how to play defense" and then given him a 2nd year to put the offensive side of his game with that.

Instead, we rushed him because 2nd round pick, Hobey Baker, look at that offense, gotta have it on the roster now, can't miss! and it's going to hurt his all-around game for the rest of his career.

Not disagreeing per se but wouldn't he have required waivers this year (and perhaps last)? I bet he would have been claimed. If not for his frequent injury problems he'd already have 2+ NHL seasons under his belt, but guess them's the breaks. Pretty frustrating but I guess no one is more frustrated than him. Shame that he was finally looking like a difference maker before his most recent injury.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
he is what he is.. and what he was always projected to be.. a good offensive dman with holes in his dgame

now, under bannister I am guessing you see a more relaxed and effective Peru cause he is not worrying about being yanked every time he makes a mistake. we shall see if his dgame progresses

right now, he's a 3rd pairing/1pp guy. there's things to like about that

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

I don 't think any amount of AHL time would help. Put him in a time bubble with a coach and AHL caliber players to play games with for 10 years where he doesn't age and does nothing but practice defense. He comes out and he is still bad at defense.

He is still tiny and has no strength or reach. He is still a good skater but without great straight-line speed. He still has extremely poor hand-eye coordination in terms of poke checks and stick work.

He has great vision, great passing, great lateral skating with the puck to buy time in the o-zone. But those are all skills that translate mainly to offense. What skills does he bring on the D-side that can translate with more time to good defense?

Reactions: PerryTurnbullfan

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Perunovich missed all of 2020/21 with injury.

He started 2021/22 in the AHL. He got called up after being extremely good in the AHL (player of the week early in the year!) and played a whopping 19 NHL games. Then he got hurt again and wasn't activated from IR until the playoffs when our team had multiple other injuries on the blue line.

He got hurt again in the preseason of 2022/23. When he recovered, he was sent to the AHL. He didn't play a single NHL game in 2022/23.

This season, he requires waivers to be assigned to the AHL.

We absolutely didn't rush him due to his draft pedigree and he was 23 when he played his first NHL game. I have an extremely hard time saying that the 19 games and 2 months he spent in the NHL in 2021/22 as a 23 year old ruined him. His complete inability to stay healthy is what has cost him so much development, not 2 months in the NHL after being fantastic in the AHL.

i'm following Perunovich for quite a while and I'm happy he's finally healthy and able to play.

I have terrible news for you.

He didn't play in our final game before the all star game after leaving the LA game with injury and we just recalled Calle Rosen from the AHL in preparation for our game Saturday. We haven't seen an update on Perunovich's injury yet, but it is pretty clear that the injury sustained on 1/28 is going to keep him out at least for the short term.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Yea Ted I have no clue what you're talking about. We didn't rush him at all, he simply couldn't stay healthy. This is basically his first year starting in the NHL and he's 25. He didn't crack the NHL until he was 23. It's not the organizations fault he never got bigger then Tyrion Lannister.

I think Peru has a place on a lot of teams. He's a bottom pairing even-strength guy that you have to shelter, but brings a lot of positives to a team's PP. He has a ton of poise and patience with the puck, he has good vision, and his skating isn't powerful per-se, but it is "shifty," which helps throw off defenders. His passing is above average, but he could do himself a favor and shoot more, even though his shot leaves a lot to be desired....he should take a page out of the D-men's book who don't have booming shots but get shots off quickly from the point that make it to the net.

The issue with Peru for us is that he's Krug 2.0 and we're in desperate need of defenseman that can actually defend then drive the play forward at even strength. Neither he nor Krug can do that effectively in a top 4 role. But if we had a solid top 4, Peru could easily play the poor-man's Vince Dunn role.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
We absolutely didn't rush him due to his draft pedigree and he was 23 when he played his first NHL game.
You lost me on this. Draft Pedigree?
The guy was passed over in the 2016 and 2017 draft, and my every team in the 2018 draft.
CS Scouting had him as the 102nd NA skater.
Nearly every service/publication had him well behind Addison, Bahl, Durzi, and Fehervary, among others.

The Blues selection of Peru reminds me of the Blues selection of Backman in 1998.
Eager to find the next Lidstrom they took Backman ahead of higher rated prospects, J. Fisher, Scott Gomez, and Mike Van Ryn

Eager to find the next Makar they did the same crap with Perunovich.

The Blues reached on Perunovich and it hasnt worked out. Guy cant stay healthy and at 25 years old, its not like he is going to learn to play defense.

He will be 26 before the season starts next year......time to cut bait and move on.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
We absolutely didn't rush him due to his draft pedigree and he was 23 when he played his first NHL game. I have an extremely hard time saying that the 19 games and 2 months he spent in the NHL in 2021/22 as a 23 year old ruined him. His complete inability to stay healthy is what has cost him so much development, not 2 months in the NHL after being fantastic in the AHL.
No, what ruined him was having him put up 5-37-42 in the AHL and never making him focus on the defensive side of his game because he's got offense, look at those assists! and letting him skate into the NHL and giving him a roster spot at nearly every opportunity because of it. And at this point, asking him to figure out things he should have learned a level down is going to be a massive struggle.

Maybe this will surprise you and others - or maybe it won't - but coming into this season, Perunovich had played a grand total of 67 professional games. 19 of those were in the NHL, 48 in the AHL - and only 39 AHL regular season games. Nothing in the final 22 regular season games (+2 playoff games) of last season suggested he'd gotten the defensive side of his game together. He had lots of time to work on the offensive side, got that polished again. Still not great defensively. Even the best opinions of him are "he's a replacement for Krug" and we all know how poor Krug is defensively - and Krug is still vastly better than Perunovich defensively for all the reasons you mentioned in this thread back in October when you critiqued Perunovich's defense.

I don't care that he's 5-37-42 in 39 AHL games. That in no way means "he's been fantastic in the AHL" to the point of "he's got nothing to learn there." Nothing has changed with his defense. Perunovich is still the same high-risk defender he's always been, except at the NHL level everyone is fast and so he can't take advantage of lesser skilled players like he could in the NCAA. He still races to pucks he shouldn't, leaving himself and his teammates badly out of position when he loses those races. His defensive IQ is still poor. His gap control is still bad. He still doesn't win board battles. He still tries to skate his way out of problems, and when it doesn't work he leaves everyone scrambling to cover for his mistake. He's got strong offensive instincts, but those are increasingly predictable and limited to "I'm going to pass off to everyone else" instead of being a threat to shoot on net, much less score when he does shoot on net - and, those positive are still far outweighed by his defensive negatives.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
No, what ruined him was having him put up 5-37-42 in the AHL and never making him focus on the defensive side of his game because he's got offense, look at those assists! and letting him skate into the NHL and giving him a roster spot at nearly every opportunity because of it. And at this point, asking him to figure out things he should have learned a level down is going to be a massive struggle.
This is fiction. You can keep repeating it, but it doesn't make it true.

Entering this season, he had been healthy for 6 total months of his 3 year professional career from 3 completely separate injuries. Two of them occurred prior to the conclusion of training camp. He made the NHL roster out of camp exactly zero times before this season and had a single 2 month stretch on the NHL roster in those 3 years. Then he joined the NHL playoff roster when we had multiple D injuries at once and were all hands on deck trying to win a playoff round. There isn't a team in the league that prioritizes long term development at that point.

This idea that he was repeatedly gifted an NHL roster spot is a fiction you have created.
Maybe this will surprise you and others - or maybe it won't - but coming into this season, Perunovich had played a grand total of 67 professional games. 19 of those were in the NHL, 48 in the AHL - and only 39 AHL regular season games.
No, it isn't remotely surprising. There is nothing shocking about the fact that you don't accrue pro games (AHL or NHL) when you are sidelined with injury. Everyone around here knows damn well that he hasn't been able to stay healthy.

This season, he wasn't gifted a spot based on AHL performance. He requires waivers and there is enough talent there that he would very, very, very likely get claimed if we tried to get him to the AHL. Developing him in a non-ideal NHL: role for a team with minimal aspirations is better than losing him to waivers.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
This is fiction. You can keep repeating it, but it doesn't make it true.
Yeah, it is true - and I'll keep repeating it because it's true.

He was around the team in 2021 - which, fine, there wasn't an AHL season, he was effectively one of the allowable non-roster players. He played 12 games in the AHL at the start of 2021-22 and was 2-18-20, which apparently was all the seasoning he needed to be ready for the NHL. He came up, played 19 games and put up an incredible 6 assists - half on the power play - and people went f***ing gaga over him. Got hurt, had to rehab, got assigned to Springfield, played 5 more games there, then got recalled for the playoffs where he had 4 assists (3 on the power play) as the Blues tried desperately to shelter him at even strength because his defense sucked ass.

He would have absolutely 2022-23 with the Blues if not for the broken shoulder, because Scandella was out with the hip injury. Never mind his defense still sucked ass, he would have had to put in a horrific training camp to not be on the roster despite his already glaring defensive woefulness.

He's never had to [Smith Barney voice] earn [/Smith Barney voice] his NHL roster spot. He's always had one handed to him, either through minimal achievement or circumstance.

Entering this season, he had been healthy for 6 total months of his 3 year professional career from 3 completely separate injuries.
This alone underscores that you're not making the point you think you are.

This idea that he was repeatedly gifted an NHL roster spot is a fiction you have created.
Given that he got on the roster after 12 AHL games, and after another injury that caused him to miss 2 months because "we had multiple D injuries at once and were all hands on deck trying to win a playoff round," and would have definitely been here for 2022-23 if not injured (unless you want to create a fiction where he's playing in Springfield all season long), and that he's here now for fear of waivers, ... that's looking a whole lot more like "repeatedly gifted an NHL roster spot" than it is "went out, demonstrated the ability to play the position at even a semi-NHL caliber level, earned his position."

YMMV.

No, it isn't remotely surprising. There is nothing shocking about the fact that you don't accrue pro games (AHL or NHL) when you are sidelined with injury. Everyone around here knows damn well that he hasn't been able to stay healthy.
:facepalm: Everyone also knows that when you haven't been healthy and you've barely played pro games, maybe the way to acclimate to the pro game - especially when you have serious deficiencies to the defensive side of your game and you're a defenseman - might be to play a bunch of games a level below the NHL and get your shit together there, not play 20 games and put up a bunch of points and call it mission accomplished and then come up to the NHL and get exposed repeatedly by your ignorance to the pace of the NHL game where all your defensive deficiencies are much more certain to get exposed and exposed badly.

Unless we're that desperate to win that we'll eschew long-term development, in which case it's a damning indictment of the GM.

This season, he wasn't gifted a spot based on AHL performance. He requires waivers and there is enough talent there that he would very, very, very likely get claimed if we tried to get him to the AHL. Developing him in a non-ideal NHL: role for a team with minimal aspirations is better than losing him to waivers.
So what? Is Perunovich that special that someone else was going to claim him on waivers? People freak out over guys going on waivers, like 80% of those guys are so special multiple teams are ready to pounce on the guy for free the moment he becomes available ... and 90% of those guys clear waivers without a problem, and most of the rest later become someone else's waiver fodder.

Say Perunovich goes on waivers. Anyone who's done their homework has seen what he is; if they still think he's better than someone on their roster, ... OK, good luck. If they didn't do their homework, then they think they can make something out of him - and if (when) he doesn't get his shit together defensively, gets beaten more often than Christina Crawford, and that team realizes shit, he really isn't as good as we thought they're going to waive him as well - and then we claim him (or wait for anyone else who first submitted an unsuccessful claim to claim him and also waive him) and then send him down to Springfield with instructions, get your goddamn shit together defensively.

Seriously, this is like all the angst over I-don't-know-how-many guys who've been waiver-eligible and people get virtually nauseous thinking about losing them on waivers because he's got talent, maybe he'll finally realize it no matter how often they watch him f*** up and underplay that supposed talent. It's even more humorous watching you have gone into detail 4 months and change ago about how bad defensively he was, knowing nothing has changed on that, and here you are today defending keeping him as if we've got some truly valuable, irreplaceable player when in reality he's a (much) lesser version of Andy Delmore.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Yeah, it is true - and I'll keep repeating it because it's true.

He was around the team in 2021 - which, fine, there wasn't an AHL season, he was effectively one of the allowable non-roster players. He played 12 games in the AHL at the start of 2021-22 and was 2-18-20, which apparently was all the seasoning he needed to be ready for the NHL. He came up, played 19 games and put up an incredible 6 assists - half on the power play - and people went f***ing gaga over him. Got hurt, had to rehab, got assigned to Springfield, played 5 more games there, then got recalled for the playoffs where he had 4 assists (3 on the power play) as the Blues tried desperately to shelter him at even strength because his defense sucked ass.

He would have absolutely 2022-23 with the Blues if not for the broken shoulder, because Scandella was out with the hip injury. Never mind his defense still sucked ass, he would have had to put in a horrific training camp to not be on the roster despite his already glaring defensive woefulness.

He's never had to [Smith Barney voice] earn [/Smith Barney voice] his NHL roster spot. He's always had one handed to him, either through minimal achievement or circumstance.

This alone underscores that you're not making the point you think you are.

Given that he got on the roster after 12 AHL games, and after another injury that caused him to miss 2 months because "we had multiple D injuries at once and were all hands on deck trying to win a playoff round," and would have definitely been here for 2022-23 if not injured (unless you want to create a fiction where he's playing in Springfield all season long), and that he's here now for fear of waivers, ... that's looking a whole lot more like "repeatedly gifted an NHL roster spot" than it is "went out, demonstrated the ability to play the position at even a semi-NHL caliber level, earned his position."

YMMV.

:facepalm: Everyone also knows that when you haven't been healthy and you've barely played pro games, maybe the way to acclimate to the pro game - especially when you have serious deficiencies to the defensive side of your game and you're a defenseman - might be to play a bunch of games a level below the NHL and get your shit together there, not play 20 games and put up a bunch of points and call it mission accomplished and then come up to the NHL and get exposed repeatedly by your ignorance to the pace of the NHL game where all your defensive deficiencies are much more certain to get exposed and exposed badly.

Unless we're that desperate to win that we'll eschew long-term development, in which case it's a damning indictment of the GM.

So what? Is Perunovich that special that someone else was going to claim him on waivers? People freak out over guys going on waivers, like 80% of those guys are so special multiple teams are ready to pounce on the guy for free the moment he becomes available ... and 90% of those guys clear waivers without a problem, and most of the rest later become someone else's waiver fodder.

Say Perunovich goes on waivers. Anyone who's done their homework has seen what he is; if they still think he's better than someone on their roster, ... OK, good luck. If they didn't do their homework, then they think they can make something out of him - and if (when) he doesn't get his shit together defensively, gets beaten more often than Christina Crawford, and that team realizes shit, he really isn't as good as we thought they're going to waive him as well - and then we claim him (or wait for anyone else who first submitted an unsuccessful claim to claim him and also waive him) and then send him down to Springfield with instructions, get your goddamn shit together defensively.

Seriously, this is like all the angst over I-don't-know-how-many guys who've been waiver-eligible and people get virtually nauseous thinking about losing them on waivers because he's got talent, maybe he'll finally realize it no matter how often they watch him f*** up and underplay that supposed talent. It's even more humorous watching you have gone into detail 4 months and change ago about how bad defensively he was, knowing nothing has changed on that, and here you are today defending keeping him as if we've got some truly valuable, irreplaceable player when in reality he's a (much) lesser version of Andy Delmore.
Idk why you're so impassioned about a guy you know (and we know) will never become great at defending. I'm sure with age he might figure some things out, but defensively he is what he is. Offensively, and this is going to ruffle a lot of feathers, he is perhaps a Dunn level defender and a pp quarterback. Before I get lambasted, yes I'm aware that an archetypal player that is solely good on offense when they play defense is counter-intuitive to the position and should not be the sole focus, HOWEVER, Perunovich is probably the 3rd/4th best LH defenseman we have. That isn't saying a lot about him because the depth there is lacking heavily, but it is what it is.

A 30 point dman who can quarterback the 2nd powerplay unit (or 1st if there's an injury) is valuable to the Blues clearly. When he joined the Blues/farm and subsequently called up, it wasn't because they were "giving" him a roster spot. There were injuries and he earned it and performed better than anyone else down there. At his age, any player performing well statistically is going to get a call up (and his archetype is offensive dman). Each time he's been called up, he's either needed due to an injury or he's earned a few games. This year is different because of waivers, though I'm surprised anyone here would advocate losing him to waivers. Whether we agree on it or not, he's still worth at least a pick and it would be complete mismanagement to lose him for free.

With how the team is structured and our chances of making noise in the playoffs, I don't understand why there are some who are so vocal on not playing him at the NHL level. If you're goal is to trade him, let him raise his stock and get him experience while the team is struggling. If your goal is to lose games, great; he's bad at defense. If your goal is to play the best group of 6 dmen, great; the Blues think he's one of them. If your goal is to play other, younger prospects, great; there is no one else who has earned a spot or is remotely ready. If this were 2019 then I'd agree and make him sit, but it's not. Let's just relax and see how it plays out.

Reactions: Brian39 and PJJJP

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Ted what is your point to all these rants? In a sentence or two at most please. Cuz I'm thinking it's that Peru was rushed to the NHL, and I think in that case you're clearly wrong. But if it's something else please (again, in a sentence or two) reiterate it.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Guy was going to get a shot no matter what, our blueline has been pretty atrocious and we don't have a whole lot of assets downstairs to call up into the role.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Correct me if I’m wrong but Perunovich is likely to be a Group 6 UFA this summer, right? You get to be a UFA if you’re 25+, played 3 pro seasons and played less than 80 NHL games. Because of all of his injuries, he’s only played 50. The Blues have 33 games left in the season. Which means, as soon as he missies 4 games, he definitely won’t reach 80.

• Wow
Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Correct me if I’m wrong but Perunovich is likely to be a Group 6 UFA this summer, right? You get to be a UFA if you’re 25+, played 3 pro seasons and played less than 80 NHL games. Because of all of his injuries, he’s only played 50. The Blues have 33 games left in the season. Which means, as soon as he missies 4 games, he definitely won’t reach 80.
Good. He needs to go somewhere else and get a fresh start. He can't catch a break here, injury-wise. And we can give his minutes to someone who can put them to better use.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I believe that playoff games count as "NHL games" for the purpose of these calculations, so I'm somewhat sure that his current games played number is 57 instead of 50.

But still a pretty good chance of playing fewer than 23 more this year.

Reactions: STL fan in MN

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3