Speculation: Perry/Getzlaf/Ryan

I Am Score*

As a warning, I post not to harass any Ducks fan. I could give two craps if you like the team or not. I'm not a hater or a fan, they are neutral to me

I'm curious as you guys obviously know better than I do about what's going on here with the Ducks. I know there is a huge push to re-sign both Perry and Getzlaf to long term deals.

What are the actual chances one of these pieces do not make the roster? It looks like Getzlaf is the main focus, what about Perry or Ryan?

As I said I don't follow the Ducks so just let me know what you guys think. Are there any young guys moving up the ranks to take over a top line spot? I've seen defenseman being taken alot in the first round but not top forwards.

I'm asking because it's big rumors one of those players on that first line will move but who do you guys think will, if any? Is there truth to this?

Are you guys in a re-building mode or what? Do you plan on getting a high draft pick soon to take a guy like Nathan MacKinnon or Jonathan Drouin?

airforceones25

Jun 16, 2009
California
Seeing as Bobby Ryan is still signed for 3 more years i'm pretty sure they are not worried about him being on the roster next year. Lol Is there plan to sign both Getzlaf and Perry to long term extensions. Getzlaf has publicly stated Anaheim is his first choice. Perry on the other hand has always been a quiet individual. Expect the Ducks to make a big push to resign both. Only time will tell us the real answer.

MiXeriZe

Oct 23, 2012
Finland
I might not be the best person to get an answer for, but as I know, Gez is 100% sure to be resigned. Perry isn't so sure though, he might want to see how much he's worth as FA. I have no idea what's up with Ryan despite the fact there were tons of trade rumours last season.

We have couple potential top 6 forwards coming, Etem (RW) and Holland (C) are the most promising ones. They might take places in 2nd line next year (if they're ready).

Someone who actually knows something, correct my mistakes and fill in the blanks.

I Am Score*

Seeing as Bobby Ryan is still signed for 3 more years i'm pretty sure they are not worried about him being on the roster next year. Lol Is there plan to sign both Getzlaf and Perry to long term extensions. Getzlaf has publicly stated Anaheim is his first choice. Perry on the other hand has always been a quiet individual. Expect the Ducks to make a big push to resign both. Only time will tell us the real answer.

But will they not re-sign Perry or trade Ryan for more pieces?

Is what i'm asking. It's hard to tell what stage you guys are in right now. That top line is going to take alot of money. Wouldn't they try to spread it out a bit?

These are the questions which no one knows right now and I was just wondering what insight you guys had.

I Am Score*

I might not be the best person to get an answer for, but as I know, Gez is 100% sure to be resigned. Perry isn't so sure though, he might want to see how much he's worth as FA. I have no idea what's up with Ryan despite the fact there were tons of trade rumours last season.

We have couple potential top 6 forwards coming, Etem (RW) and Holland (C) are the most promising ones. They might take places in 2nd line next year (if they're ready).

Someone who actually knows something, correct my mistakes and fill in the blanks.

That's a great answer, thanks.

Etem and Holland kind of fell off the radar for the rest of the league or people not paying attention to Anaheim.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Getzlaf should re-sign soon, they were apparently close pre-lockout so shouldn't be all that much more talking to do. They might even be holding off to see if they can get something done with Perry as well, because the media would go nuts if Getz re-signs but not Perry during the season.

airforceones25

Jun 16, 2009
California
But will they not re-sign Perry or trade Ryan for more pieces?

Is what i'm asking. It's hard to tell what stage you guys are in right now. That top line is going to take alot of money. Wouldn't they try to spread it out a bit?

These are the questions which no one knows right now and I was just wondering what insight you guys had.

Well Bobby is on a sweet deal so that is hardly a problem. Sure he can be traded but his contract is certainly not an issue.

As far as Getzlaf and Perry getting raises.. It really doesn't hurt us anymore money wise. We have one of the richest owners in the NHL and he's allegedly giving Murray the go to sign the players to fair deals. Plus it is expected to be Teemu's last year (4.5mil). Saku Koivu's deal is up at the end of the year however i'm sure he will be resigned but at a cheaper price as well (3.8mil) and Lydman deal expiring as well (3mil)... That is a huge chunk of change not to mention the fact the Ducks are alredy well under the cap. They easily have the money to resign both Getzlaf and Perry to big deals and still have money for the rest of the team. Plus the Ducks have lots of Key prospect wingers and defenseman chomping at the bit to make the team which would also reduce the cap number as they would be on ELC contracts.

Money is not an issue it's just a matter of how the owners and GM view Getzlaf and Perry and what they worth. We are in a smaller market so they may not be inclined to give an 8-9mil contract but it's not because they can't afford it by any means.

Nikko*

I honestly think Perry is gonna be gone by next season. I think Getz and Ryan will be here. That's just my gut feeling based on all the talk I've heard and who the ducks have in their system coming up.

LEAFSIN4

Jan 14, 2013
if you don't have Perry signed by the deadline, do you expect him to be shopped?

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Working backwards I would say we aren't sure what direction we are going until Getz and Perry get resolved. Most think that a deal with Getzlaf could be just around the corner based on previous public statements of his desire to stay.

As has been stated, Perry is very quiet and impossible to read. Most including myself believe he likes a low key environment which would rule out going to a big market team and potentially favor him staying here. The big question is whether or not he wants the very top dollar. If he goes ufa and some jack ass makes a stupid offer I think the belief is we won't try to match it.

If Getz and Perry are re-signed I think it is possible Ryan gets moved but it would depend on what the team's needs are at the time. With some new young guys being given opportunities right now, it's not yet clear where the most pressing needs are. A lot more should be know by the end of the year.

Yeaoh

Jun 14, 2011
Austria
Yeah Getzlaf is pretty much a lock for staying in Anaheim. Wants to be here, has a wife from here, they just got a baby and I believe just bought a house. I'd be very surprised if he walked.

Perry is such an X-Factor. If he hits UFA then he can expect big money, money we won't be able to match. However Perry (imo) is completely unlikely to sign with a big market team like Toronto or Montreal. He seems so uncomfortable around reporters and the media, even here in Anaheim. And we don't get a lot of coverage lol I believe he likes to have his privacy and just being able to play his game. Could be wrong though. But in Anaheim he could remain the MVP of the team and a fan favourite but WITHOUT having the spotlight in him all season long. Guys like Ryan, Getzlaf, Fowler, soon probably Etem will always be up for interviews, giving Perry a chance to hide in the lockerroom :laugh:

Now I know that one shouldn't put too much into friendships, but Perry and Getzlaf seem close and know eachother so well on the ice, I can really see them pulling a Suter/Parise deal. Yes I know they said that they are ready to part ways if that is what the future holds for them, but then again what are they supposed to say?

However, if no deal has been made by the trade deadline the Ducks HAVE to trade them. We can't afford to lose either one of them for free.

Bobby Ryan will be traded in the final year of his contract IMO, maybe even sooner. I have no idea how he feels about Anaheim after the BS that went on last year and summer, but he seems fed up.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Bobby Ryan will be traded in the final year of his contract IMO, maybe even sooner. I have no idea how he feels about Anaheim after the BS that went on last year and summer, but he seems fed up.

Simon Despres, Beau Bennett, 2013 1st and Dominik Uher.
I suppose we could even add a 2014 1st as well.

I know it is nothing but futures, but am I getting close?

Yeaoh

Jun 14, 2011
Austria
Simon Despres, Beau Bennett, 2013 1st and Dominik Uher.
I suppose we could even add a 2014 1st as well.

I know it is nothing but futures, but am I getting close?

Honestly the only guy I know in there is Beau Bennett...and the only thing I know about him is that he was drafted 2010 and is from CA.

But IMO we can do better for Ryan. I wonder when is the right time to pull the trigger...the sooner the better the return might be, as the acquiring team gets another 2 years out of him. Could it be that Bob Murray will work on a Ryan trade as soon as Perry and Getzlaf are signed? If Ryan were committed to stay here I'd be happy to keep him though.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Honestly the only guy I know in there is Beau Bennett...and the only thing I know about him is that he was drafted 2010 and is from CA.

Despres (our first round pick in 2009) was the nr.1 D-man for Saint Johns Memorial Cup winners and played on the shutdown pairing for Team Canada two years ago with Jared Cowen. He is big, strong, and very mobile. Some offense also, but a likely top4 D-man in a short while. I would hate to give him up, but we have to many D-prospects and Despres is the closest to breaking through so I assume he'd have more value in a trade.
Beau Bennet (our first round pick from 2010) is a talented winger who was the last forward cut from this years team - both because he just turned pro from college - he has stuff to work on - and because he could be sent down. He is currently leading the AHL team in points and PPG in his first season
Either way, those two are surely among our top3 prospects, and with two more first rounders, I think there's a lot of value there. Uher is a gritty bottom 6 forward who can play pretty much any position, also a first year pro, who scored a ton while captaning his WHL team.

Not really trying to convince you of anything here (justifying the reasoning a bit, rather) or saying someone else couldn't offer more. Certainly more proven assets, but I suppose it depends which direction your management would take.

MiXeriZe

Oct 23, 2012
Finland
We'd love to have defensive stud in our pool, our D prospects are mostly offensive guys (Vats and Lindholm) and Lydman will retire in couple years. In right conditions that would be no-brainer (for both)

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
We'd love to have defensive stud in our pool, our D prospects are mostly offensive guys (Vats and Lindholm) and Lydman will retire in couple years. In right conditions that would be no-brainer (for both)
Lindholm isn't mostly an offensive guy. It's the strength of his defensive play, along with those offensive tools, that led people to compare him to OEL and Pietrangelo.

MiXeriZe

Oct 23, 2012
Finland
Lindholm isn't mostly an offensive guy. It's the strength of his defensive play, along with those offensive tools, that led people to compare him to OEL and Pietrangelo.

Sure, I said that wrong. But my point was, we lack a guy, who can shut down games, who eats PK as his breakfast and who can deliver hits and bring all around physical intimidation on rink. Lindholm will become good two-way-D for sure.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
He can do a lot of those things, and has in his stint down on the farm. For physical intimidation and big hits, though Lindholm does have a physical dimension in his play, we have Clark and O'Brien - I believe Welinski does that as well, but I haven't seen enough of him to verify that.

MiXeriZe

Oct 23, 2012
Finland
Well, if we need to trade Ryan, I can't figure what else we should take along LWs. As I see our defence in couple years, there will be Fowler and Vats on offensive side, Sbisa and Lindholm as 2-way, and I'd love to see two defensive studs (okay, I haven't taken FAs into account while thinking this)..

I've played way too much NHL be a GM :D

e: and I'm well aware it has nothing to do with real deal. This just would be something I'd consider doing if things get nasty

MiXeriZe

Oct 23, 2012
Finland
Gosh, I had no idea we have guy like him. Perhaps I should read prospect thread again. Being semi casual, semi hc fan in Europe is challenging. I mean I know what's happening in NHL and FEL, I have some idea what's up in AHL, but Canadian junior leagues... I have no idea. Well, I know who John Gibson is, but..

I hope Clark will make it into NHL. He's done well in AHL.

Another trade I'd do would be proven 2nd C and LW for Bobby, but I think there's none to few teams who'd accept it

quentez

#8 Teemu Legend
Apr 2, 2011
Trondheim, Norway
Of what I've seen of Admirals this season (admittedly not much), Clark has been rather underwhelming. There has to be a bunch of guys ahead of him on the depth chart (Guenin, Hendry, Lindholm, Vatanen at least).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad