GDT: Perds @ Abes | 4pm MT | High Effort Emergency GDT

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
How many more 4 goal games against is it going to take?
In 58 starts this season Fourgiev has allowed 4 goals against or more 21 times.
Hes allowed 3 goals or more 33 times.

I suppose one way of looking at this shitty goaltending is that the Avs have had to outscore their problem which has led to the greatest regular season by an Av ever with Mackinnon. Does Mackinnon have an MVP season if not for Fourgiev being garbage? Maybe not.
This is literally mind blowing. George is f***ing terrible, with those kind of stats the Avs should be no where near the playoffs. Can't imagine there is another starter in the league anywhere close to having this many 3+ goals against games. But yet there are posters around here that still defend the guy.

It's a good thing that 29, 96, 8 exist. Or we'd be a lottery team with the goaltending we've received this year.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
It's funny how our goalies suck when giving up goals on deflections, perfect shots (corners, bar down, post and in), and straight-up lucky bounces.

But when our team does the same to opposing goalies (7 times yesterday), it's only because our guys are the most awesome players on the planet (granted this is true in the case of MacKinnon and Makar) who are beating goalies who combine the best traits of Roy, the *great* Billy Smith, and prime Dominic Hasek.
I mean yesterday aside, where there were a couple good shots and luck for Nashville. George let's in typically 1-2 trashy goals on like 25-30 shots a game. He's simply lucky we have 29, 96, and 8 to bail his ass out a lot of nights. The Avs are constantly drastically out shooting and out playing opposing teams and they shouldn't have to constantly squeak out comeback wins.

For example yesterday Nashville has 4 goals on like 12 shots. It'd be one thing if this was just the random off game, but George is consistently 3+ on low shot totals. He's just hasn't been good at all this year.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
The Makar criticism this year is a little over the top.

His XGF% and HDCF% are significantly better than a guy like Adam Fox.

Makar’s PDO is in the toilet this year. He’s been unlucky. PDO is .999. He also has a sub .900 SV% when he’s on the ice.

Do I think he’s been at his best? No, but he’s been way better than he gets credit for.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom

Makar’s PDO is in the toilet this year. He’s been unlucky. PDO is .999. He also has a sub .900 SV% when he’s on the ice.

Do I think he’s been at his best? No, but he’s been way better than he gets credit for.
He’s having a funny year where he is being helped by Mack being on a god like run and has some epically bad luck that when he makes a spectacularly poor decision defensively it’s a headline worthy when he actually gets bailed out by his goalie

Makar is definitely having a down year but we’re talking instead of being the clear cut best D in the league he’s playing somewhere around 3-5 (with Mack - don’t think he’s in the Norris conversation this year for his play away from Mack)

Reactions: The Abusement Park

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

The numbers don't match the eye test.

He had a ridiculous stretch IIRC in November where he carried the Avs each night. Otherwise he's been fairly pedestrian. He turns the puck over like crazy, he is getting beat defensively more than usual, his skating doesn't seem as elusive as years past, and he isn't dominating games the way we have seen him.

The turnovers are the most pressing issue for me. He is making very poor reads almost nightly.

He isn't a scrub obviously but the criticism of his play IMO is warranted because he is playing nowhere near his expected level.

AvalancheRy

Feb 13, 2009

It's funny, a "bad" year for Makar is leading defensemen in scoring and will probably end up in with a Norris nod. People will go out of their way to flame him, and yet a down year for any other defensemen looks way worse. For Makar, he's still world class.

I was pretty hard on him earlier in the season, but the dude has been grinding. He's shown his quality against good teams recently. And I think it's the playoffs where he needs to be expected to raise his game.

We all saw the switch this team flipped in 2022 for their run when the games mattered.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Annunen has only been with the team since the All-Star break and has more starts than Prosvetov had in the previous 4 months. He's definitely been getting a look.
Yeah but I meant he should get few starts in a row not only because he has earned it, but push Georgiev to be better, or maybe Georgiev is struggling because he’s overworked. Give him few games off

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It's funny how our goalies suck when giving up goals on deflections, perfect shots (corners, bar down, post and in), and straight-up lucky bounces.

But when our team does the same to opposing goalies (7 times yesterday), it's only because our guys are the most awesome players on the planet (granted this is true in the case of MacKinnon and Makar) who are beating goalies who combine the best traits of Roy, the *great* Billy Smith, and prime Dominic Hasek.
The Preds goalie was far worse than Georgiev yesterday

• Wow
Reactions: NorthernAvsFan

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
It has been said by the hockey experts on this board that Georgiev isn't at fault for the goals he lets in.
Lol that's what I hear as well. Though all the other goalies in the league seem to figure out how to stop significantly more. Including Annunen who plays in front of the same team.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Yeah, I think as Avs fans we tend to be a little overboard on the level of criticism but the points themselves are still warranted.

However the Rantanen stuff seems to be more that some won’t discuss, or discuss in bad faith, a potential to move him for cap purposes. When it’s discussed in bad faith, it causes a flurry of responses, and then the cycle begins anew and the board is overwhelmed with the topic. I don’t know where I land in regards to moving him or not but am not blind to the validity of both arguments.

Makar is definitely warranted even though it is occasionally over the top. Many times his defensive decisions have not been good ones and he’s fought the puck a bit offensively, especially his shot.

With George we all know that this level of play is unacceptable. Even though many times he gets beat by good shots, a goalie has to find a way to make the saves at some point. In his defence, we tend to play well and then have the intermittent “big breakdown” defensively, allowing big chances but that doesn’t excuse the fact that more often than not he’s letting in at minimum one stinker a game. At the end of a day he needs to find a way to get the save.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I've seen this notion that the Avs hung Georgiev out to dry last night.

He allowed 4 goals on 9 scoring chances, 7 of which were high danger.

Annunen allowed 0 goals on 12 scoring chances, 5 of which were high danger.

At some point your goalie has to make you a save. Whether it be the Fabbro goal or the Nyquist goal. You need SOMETHING from him.

Annunen gave them those saves. Georgiev did not.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I do actually wonder how well liked George is in that locker room. Nothing would make me happier than if Justus found a way to prove he was a starter
Interesting that you bring this up.

I missed the 1st period and Georgiev being pulled but did see him standing on the bench with his helmet/mask on while Justus was in net. Almost like he expected to return to the ice?

And the congratulations hug afterwards between Georgiev and Justus was very brief and stiff. Almost formal and distant.

I've seen this notion that the Avs hung Georgiev out to dry last night.

He allowed 4 goals on 9 scoring chances, 7 of which were high danger.

Annunen allowed 0 goals on 12 scoring chances, 5 of which were high danger.

At some point your goalie has to make you a save. Whether it be the Fabbro goal or the Nyquist goal. You need SOMETHING from him.

Annunen gave them those saves. Georgiev did not.
I think that's exactly how Bednar sees it.

Last edited:

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Lol that's what I hear as well. Though all the other goalies in the league seem to figure out how to stop significantly more. Including Annunen who plays in front of the same team.
The whole demeanor of the team changed when Justus came in- they got serious and got their shit together. In a sense he was not playing behind the same team as George.

Now- is that because of locker room dynamics? Is it because hockey players recognize their responsibility when their goalie gets yanked? Were they pissed at the penalty (because they killed it off decisively)? I don't know, but in my view it's a question.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Straight-up props to the home crowd for trolling the Preds with the JUUUUUUUUUS chant. :laugh:

Didn’t get to see this game (had to take my eldest to a Paw Patrol-themed birthday party) but caught the highlights online. Can’t tell if George was good or not but Bednar sure didn’t seem to think so. I didn’t think any of them were particularly bad, though there were at least a couple really awful defensive breakdowns.

Nonetheless they got back on track and chased the hottest team in hockey out the building. Hopefully there’s no lingering injuries from this one.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Hate is a strong word. Underappreciated? Absolutely.
The biggest issue surrounding Mikko is his next contract. He'll want to get paid, and the question becomes is he worth it, or is he a product of 29? Not really sure the answer on this. I do know that he sure as hell has been a frustrating player this year. Who can't seem to hit the net very frequently and has been very lazy in his own end.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
the question becomes is he worth it, or is he a product of 29? Not really sure the answer on this.
I don't really understand why this is somehow still a debate. No, Rantanen absolutely is not a product of MacKinnon and can carry his own line. He has proved this numerous times by carrying the team when Nate has been injured. To even suggest that "we still don't know if Rantanen is a product of Nate" is just stupid. It has been established a long time ago: no he's not. During the cup run, he played mostly without Nate in the second line. And got more points than Nate. People seem to forget about stuff like this.

The simple fact that Bednar is stubborn and wants to play them together instead of spreading the wealth, should not be used as an argument against Mikko. As good of a coach as Bednar is, he's stubborn on certain things. You are about to find that out when he still insists on running Georgiev instead of giving Annunen a proper chance.

And frankly, his next contract should not have anything to do with the fact that he's underappreciated right now. He's going to get +40 goals, already has +100 points, and is #6 in league scoring. He has more points than Draisaitl and Matthews.

I have stated, that the Avs should look at every option, especially if Mikko wants more money than Nate. This is the simple, unfortunate reality of the salary cap. But I'm not having this discussion about if Mikko deserves the money. He does, it's just about can we afford it.

redandyellowcametobe

Jan 4, 2019
I don't really understand why this is somehow still a debate. No, Rantanen absolutely is not a product of MacKinnon and can carry his own line. He has proved this numerous times by carrying the team when Nate has been injured. To even suggest that "we still don't know if Rantanen is a product of Nate" is just stupid. It has been established a long time ago: no he's not. During the cup run, he played mostly without Nate in the second line. And got more points than Nate. People seem to forget about stuff like this.

The simple fact that Bednar is stubborn and wants to play them together instead of spreading the wealth, should not be used as an argument against Mikko. As good of a coach as Bednar is, he's stubborn on certain things. You are about to find that out when he still insists on running Georgiev instead of giving Annunen a proper chance.

And frankly, his next contract should not have anything to do with the fact that he's underappreciated right now. He's going to get +40 goals, already has +100 points, and is #6 in league scoring. He has more points than Draisaitl and Matthews.

I have stated, that the Avs should look at every option, especially if Mikko wants more money than Nate. This is the simple, unfortunate reality of the salary cap. But I'm not having this discussion about if Mikko deserves the money. He does, it's just about can we afford it.

While I agree with a lot of what you said, what people really seem to forget about it Rants was absolutely dreadful the first two series in ‘22. Some will say he was still recovering from being sick late in the season but he was a turnover machine, couldn’t stay on his feet, made terrible decisions with the puck and didn’t have a goal until a like the fourth Blues game and it was an empty netter.

As crazy as it sounds there was discussions on sitting him for a game or two. It was far and away the worst I’ve seen him play.

Moose is polarizing. He can be lights out and then be super frustrating to watch all darn game but still wind up with a few apples including the game winning primary. Hes just so talented at the end of the day.

It’ll be a tough summer making that decision.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

It hasnt been enough actually. Makar has been garbage defensively this season,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad