Pens win! Pens win! Pens win!

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
CHAMPS
PENS WIN!!! PENS WIN!!! PENS WIN!!!

That feels so good. Maybe I take this league too seriously but I spend all day 24/7/365 working hard to take care of my business so that it can take care of my family. If you know me, those are the 2 things that drive me in an almost too singular of manner.

I have one other passion, it’s the HFNHL, my friends in the league, the drama of the rivalaries, the strategy & execution and the anticipation of what happens next. I love it and couldnt imagine my life without my HFNHL team.

When I put my head on my pillow and close my eyes, I review my lines in my head. Its like counting sheep for me and I have thought of every scenario possible in the last 15 years or so with my head on the pillow.

This is the moment I will relieve FOREVER.

I can see it in my mind, clear as day.

3. Penguins , Eric Staal 13 (Ryan O'Reilly, Nathan MacKinnon) at 1:15

Snap shot by Nathan MacKinnon. Shot Misses the Net. Free Puck Retrieved by Ryan O'Reilly for Penguins. Snap shot by Ryan O'Reilly. Stopped by Braden Holtby with a rebound. Free Puck Retrieved by Eric Staal for Penguins. Wrist shot by Eric Staal. Goal by Eric Staal - Penguins : 2 - Kings : 1.

1:11 of 1st overtime period - Snap shot by Nathan MacKinnon.
1:11 of 1st overtime period - Shot Misses the Net.
1:13 of 1st overtime period - Snap shot by Ryan O'Reilly.
1:13 of 1st overtime period - Stopped by Braden Holtby with a rebound.
1:15 of 1st overtime period - Wrist shot by Eric Staal.
1:15 of 1st overtime period - Goal by Eric Staal - Penguins : 2 - Kings : 1.

PENS WIN!! PENS WIN!! PENS WIN!!

WHAT I WAS DOING
Sunday night at the GM’s house is family game night. We were on the patio playing the Game of Life (my wife’s choice) when my boy asked me “Dad, have they posted the score yet”. Not sure if it was the rum or the hot weather but I didn’t really click what he was asking.

Then it dawned on me and I said “not yet, its early and Jeff always posts to the chat room” But I had to check anyways, my heart was racing.

There it was. I couldn’t even click the link before I jumped in the air and threw my hands in the air with a celebratory V.

PENS WIN!! PENS WIN!! PENS WIN!!

That’s all my mind could comprehend.

High fives all around, needless to say it took me a while to get my head back into the Game of Life.

ONCE A CANUCKS, ALWAYS A BRIDESMAID (no more!).
I thought that the SimGod would treat me like a Canucks fan and break my heart. After a game 1 dud where our boys had only 8 shots on net, we went on to build a 3 -1 series lead by outscoring the opposition 12-5. Then game 5 was a loss and I thought “here we go”, I am Canucks fan, we aren’t allowed to experience winning.

Then it happened.

3. Penguins , Eric Staal 13 (Ryan O'Reilly, Nathan MacKinnon) at 1:15

The official moment that one of my Passionate dreams was realized and the Canucks curse was officially shaken.

HEROES
Clearly the winning Goal by Eric Staal makes him the ultimate hero. However our Captain Ryan O’Reilly dominated almost every game he played in. Averaging over 22minutes per night and leading the league with 32 points and 15 goals in 22 games, Ryan is the leading candidate for the Conn Smythe Trophy.

When Nathan Mackinnon (16 points in 13 games) went down in game 2 of Round 2 vs NYI, we lost one of the top producers in the HFNHL this season. This is where our ManBeast, Brent Burns stepped up and filled in on the top line RW spot until Mackinnon returned for the finals. Burns ended up with 24 points in 22 games to finish 2nd overall in league points.

Our unsung Hero is Sven Baertschi. Sven was a trooper for our squad all seasons long but when we acquired Staal, someone had to goto the pressbox. Sven has a bright future with our organization and every player on the team recognizes the sacrifice that this player made.

ORDER OF THE CUP:
Our Captain, Ryan O’Reilly accepted the Stanley Cup, raised it high in the air. He then found the one man who made it happen for the Penguins. Eric Staal skated that Cup around the rink just as he imagined as a kid playing pond hockey and scoring the OT Game winner for the Stanley Cup.

Next in line was our BB88 who then passed onto our Goalie.

With so many deserving players, each one of the boys took note of the special moment where they finally held that Cup over their head and shared it with their teammate.

THE KEY MOMENT
30 minutes before the trade deadline, we talked to the NYR GM. We had never once talked about Eric Staal all season and I never really thought I would make a move at the deadline, happy with my depth. For whatever reason it didn’t take long for us to agree on a very fair trade.

Random moment actually and another deadline last minute trade that worked out well for our squad.

THANK YOU’S
So many people deserve credit for the longevity and success of the HFNHL and I wouldn’t want to forget anyone so I am going to single out just 1 person.

Jeff Kirk.
SimGod.

All kidding aside, thank you for your dedication to the HFNHL. You bear the burden of keeping this machine producing and the entire league owes you a debt of gratitude (along with a bottle of your choice)!

Thank you also to the HFNHL Community. Some of you have been a part of my life now for close to 20 years and many of you I have spent the last 13 years talking to everyday in our group chat. Life can be hard at time for many reasons and I have found so much comfort and enjoyment from this group.

I have met many of you, hope to meet the rest and wish for you also this moment and your turn to win. After my dynasty of course.

On that note, we are back in business and have to make some last minute moves before the Expansion Draft deadline. Please reach out to me on WhatsApp or email if you would like to discuss player transactions!

Best wishes to all and just in case I don’t get to say it again.

PENS WIN! PENS WIN! PENS WIN!

Last edited:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Awesome post, Robb. Great stuff summarizing the win, and also what it means to you. Couldn't have said it better.

The HFNHL is a fantastically strange place in this world, but definitely one of my favorite ones. Congrats again on a great run, and it is well deserved.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Congrats Robb! Very deserving. What a team. And what a future.

And where is our league chat located again? I feel like I lost it at some point. I didn't even realize we still had one. Can someone email me a link or add me on whatsapp if that's where it is?

Lord Stanley

Revoluccion Leader
Feb 24, 2003
In your head
revoluccionsoup.sauna.ca
Congrats Robb! Very deserving. What a team. And what a future.

And where is our league chat located again? I feel like I lost it at some point. I didn't even realize we still had one. Can someone email me a link or add me on whatsapp if that's where it is?

I think it's just a chat for special bilderputos :popcorn:

I guess you didn't make the cut, you're not the only one.

Last edited:

CoyotesHFNHL

May 30, 2010
Congratulations on winning the 2017 HFNHL Stanley Cup.

You can see through the post how much it meant to you and how much work and effort you put in to put together a team that could win. It's hard to put together a number when you look at the hours you collectively put in over the years. For some of you it's an incredible amount to help keep this thing running so smoothly for so long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad