Series Talk: PENS vs Montreal Canadiens Round 1 (Best Of Five) - Episode II: On a peur, très peur!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, that sounds real representative.

Another way to look at it is that they paced for 54, 60, and 74 points, one of them is a center that finished 7th in Selke voting, they know each other's tendencies well, and they have a quality defensive coach.

Oh no, Crosby's going up against 2017 Staal. Whatever will he do? :laugh:

Like I said, you're criminally overrating that line. You're basically treating them like Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak, while that line is actually a Walmart brand version of that line. It's a top line of a bad team, it's 3 fringe 1st/2nd liners who aren't even close to Crosby, Malkin and Guentzel in ability.

In the last 3 years, Crosby has 2 goals and 12 points in 7 games against the Habs. He has points in 6 of those 7 games, and has 1 2 point, 1 3 point and 1 4 point night. The results Crosby has consistently given against the Habs has given zero justification to be saying that Crosby's line may be outmatched by Danault's line.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Like I said, you're criminally overrating that line. You're basically treating them like Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak, while that line is actually a Walmart brand version of that line. It's a top line of a bad team, it's 3 fringe 1st/2nd liners who aren't even close to Crosby, Malkin and Guentzel in ability.

In the last 3 years, Crosby has 2 goals and 12 points in 7 games against the Habs. He has points in 6 of those 7 games, and has 1 2 point, 1 3 point and 1 4 point night. The results Crosby has consistently given against the Habs has given zero justification to be saying that Crosby's line may be outmatched by Danault's line.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

We're not comparing the 3 best forwards for each team, though.

Primarily with Guentzel, who's not on the line we're talking about.

At any rate, I think Montreal's 1st line doesn't get enough respect. If the 1st line were Zucker-Crosby-Sheary, I wouldn't count on it outplaying Montreal's over a short series with so little time together. I've seen people make the argument here that the Pens decided to put Guentzel back with Crosby now because Zucker and Crosby didn't play off of one another that well.

But if Zucker-Crosby-Sheary were the Pens 1st line, that would leave the "2nd line" as Guentzel-Malkin-Rust, which would win the series on its own.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
July 10th is the start of training camp, apparently. So we're looking at probably August for the start of this weird summer tourney masquerading as the NHL playoffs. Guessing it'll last a couple months, maybe finishing mid-October or something? Then, probably a couple months off again before the start of the next season in late December or early January?

Weird.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Does anyone else find it to be incredibly stupid that possibly the Eastern Conference hub city could be out west and visa versa? I don't see how the "home" team has all that much of an advantage in their own city as they would have to be quarantined away from their homes and families just like all the other teams. Not to mention the stupidity of starting a playoff game between two teams from the east at 10pm ET or later, you may also have playoff games between two teams in the west start at 9am PT. The league needs to just keep it simple and have the Eastern Conference teams play in the east and the Western Conference teams play in the west.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
July 10th is the start of training camp, apparently. So we're looking at probably August for the start of this weird summer tourney masquerading as the NHL playoffs. Guessing it'll last a couple months, maybe finishing mid-October or something? Then, probably a couple months off again before the start of the next season in late December or early January?

Weird.

The NBA and NHL seem to follow similar patterns so if you're looking at them they're aiming to end by October 17th (or thereabouts) with the new season speculated to start around Christmas (which the NBA loves to own).

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Why do they need 3 weeks of camp if "practices" are happening now?

Because they’re not really practicing now...they’re just doing skills from 6 feet apart...to “practice” requires physical contact, fighting for board battles, forechecking etc...you can’t really get in game shape without that...

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Because they’re not really practicing now...they’re just doing skills from 6 feet apart...to “practice” requires physical contact, fighting for board battles, forechecking etc...you can’t really get in game shape without that...

I assume Bjugs was in shape and he does none of this. :laugh:

Reactions: Andy99

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Please let his shoulder be 100%.

Yeah except it's gonna start with Sheary on that 1st line.

We'll see how long that sticks.

Me too. But one player is not an entire line.

Good regular season stats for all 3 members of a line thanks to 2 years to build chemistry is a factor, particularly when the line its being compared to has one player who hasn't had a good season in years, and another who just joined the team. 4 months off doesn't change that.

Chemistry-wise, coming into this series the edge clearly goes to Tatar-Danault-Gallagher over Zucker-Crosby-Sheary.

As a Habs fan, this is just comedy gold.

FEAR OUR MIGHT

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Also London has better bagels than Montreal, that's a scientific fact. And London bagels are like, third rate bagels. :laugh:

I’ve never been to MTL and I haven’t eaten bagels in London, but they CAN’T be worse than the Bay Area...you’d think they’d never heard of or seen any Jews here (and I’m Jewish so I can say this) the way they make “bagels” ....

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Any savory bagel that I can slather with butter and herb and garlic cream cheese is passable.

I know, I'm a monster.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Man, that's a shame. A good bagel is a mitzvah! :laugh:

definitely...you’ve got to boil them to get the “crust” outside and the soft inside...that’s traditional but bagel places out here refuse to do that...it’s why they taste like regular bread shaped like a donut and not bagels

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
A decent percentage of the players have been able to only do body weight activities. They need a camp to prevent injury. Plus, I don't think the current COVID landscape would allow for hockey to play. So they are hoping the situation is better.

The players are going to be in a bubble, so the current situation with the virus shouldn't affect them unless players start breaking quarantine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad