Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Leafs | loss | No more streaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It’s fun to pretend Sully and Hextall would try WBS guys if the cap wasn’t a disaster, but they’ve refused to make any changes unless they are forced due to injuries over the last couple of seasons. It’s like Wilkes Barre doesn’t exist to these two clowns.

Last edited:

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Kapanen is so f***ing bad man I'm tiring myself out talking about him. Complete disappointment that, thanks to JR, we got to live through 2 times. Please ship this guy out to Arizona already.

Both Heinen and Kapanen have been put with our worst center as well. Anyone who gets put with Carter is gonna struggle to do much. He's very bad at possessing the puck at this stage of his career.
Yup, should have never been extended last year that fast..

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yea, but last season is relevant man. Heinen came in off a 20 goal season and Kap came off a disappointing 32 point season where he saw his TOI plummet by season's end. These things determine the leash you have going into '22/'23. These things contribute to why Kap got scratched after 13 games and Heinen is still in there after 20. You can't ignore them.

For the record I'm all for sitting Heinen and trying Puustinen with the big club for once. As for the other Finn... well... we gave him 100 games straight worth of chances and I don't want to see him in the lineup anymore.
This is hilarious.

Kapanen and Heinen were off by 1pt for their season totals. Kapanen had random streaks of production while also suffering through some major confidence issues and loss of identity on this roster, he was up on Malkin's line and then demoted quite often, to the point where when Heinen went on his hot streak due to the play of Carter & Kapanen, only Heinen benefitted from their hard work during those times. Heinen now, is having an even worse cold streak, something that has had him moved from 2 teams already, and yet the narrative is that Kapanen is crap when he's been the most misused player on this f***ing roster - which isn't an opinion btw, it's legit fact.

Edit:

Kapanen was, again I hate mentioning this but it better illustrates how badly the Pens have misused him, utilized heavily on the Leafs PK his entire tenure there.

Since 2015-16 to 2019-20 he averaged: 1:27 SHTOI/G (292:04 - Total in that span)
Since joining the Pens in 2020-21 to 2022-23: 0:11 SHTOI/G (23:25 - Total in that span)

Kapanen was mostly utilized on the 3rd line, where he did most of his damage in Toronto, the final year he was mostly with I think Kerfoot and Mikheyev. Was he miscast with Malkin? Most definitely, he should have likely started on the 3rd line and worked his way up, but that shortened season he caught fire with Malkin and then when he cooled off, he didn't really bounce back again and they never bothered to utilize him in an area he was quite strong in with Toronto - their PK. While being on the 3rd line with Carter helped him with some confidence, Carter isn't the fit there for him either. I think Zucker and Kapanen worked but Malkin was not the C that Kapanen really fit with, he would have been a better fit for Crosby's line, but then you had Guentzel and Crosby needing an even stronger 2-way type and required Rust or Rakell (now) and would get Rodriguez up on that line as well for that same reason which again tells you that there's a huge problem with how the Pens deploy their forwards, what their fit is, and how good that top line is while also being a defensive liability for the most part and why Crosby will never win the Selke.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gurglesons

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think he's got more offensive upside than Heinen and Mcginn but less defensive upside.

But yeah they absolutely shoulda let him go and used that money to bring back Erod instead. Imagine how badass our bottom six would look right now with Erod on it. Erod would I think have made our third line much more functional. Our fourth line is already good.

It's hard to get everything 100% right. Most of what Hextall did was good this off season. But man we coulda had four functional lines with one slightly different move. Ah well.
My only issue with E-Rod, and I agree that I'd rather have E-Rod and Heinen than Kap for ~$3 million, is that E-Rod works best as a center. I still would've taken E-Rod and Heinen over Kap either way, but it'd probably mean shifting Carter to wing for that 3rd line and I'm not sure the coach would be down.

Reactions: Pancakes

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
My only issue with E-Rod, and I agree that I'd rather have E-Rod and Heinen than Kap for ~$3 million, is that E-Rod works best as a center. I still would've taken E-Rod and Heinen over Kap either way, but it'd probably mean shifting Carter to wing for that 3rd line and I'm not sure the coach would be down.
Yeah shifting Carter to wing but letting him take important draws would have been nice and probably beneficial to Carter to give him less responsibilities.

Ah well. Woulda coulda.

We also wanted to trade MP and luckily Montreal wanted Matheson instead. Dunno where our d woulda been without MP this year, especially given Matheson was hurt to start the year.

• Haha
Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad