Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Isles: Its over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I just don’t think either goalie was particularly better or worse.

1713405959787.png

That’s not saying much since Jarry makes like 3x what Nedeljkovic does, but I still don’t see Jarry as an issue.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Was it the part where he was benched and they won back to back Cups? Was that what you were right about? I don't know what your obsession with Jarry is. Fleury I get. He has a beautiful smile. I guess you're like one of those Florence Nightingale effect things. I get moist over oft injured goalies who meltdown constantly and need to be coddled too.
lol, way to prove my point. Sully played his boy then MAF went on to bring an expansion team to the SCF and win a Vezina while MM blew shit and literally didn't even play in the NHL this year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

That article does not have Sullivan telling Rierden "do not make any changes to the powerplay because the guys will figure it out".

It does say that there needs to be a balance between coaching and letting the players instincts control the game. But that's not "do not make any changes to the powerplay because the guys will figure it out".

• Wow
Reactions: Rudy Russo

farscape1

Jun 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
Gees the Pens go on a little hot streak at the end when most teams are already in the playoffs and now people on here think a little changes and the Pens will be in the playoffs next year. Good god this team is done done done. Rebuild Rebuild Rebuild already.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
This delusion about Dubas not being able to fire Hextall is like the delusion people had that Mike Sullivan wasn’t really that big of a fan of Jeff Carter.

Dubas could but I do think he would for sure get a lot of pushback from ownership.

Hextall had multiple opportunities and failed before the team was sold and FSG decided a coach was more important than a functional front office.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I just don’t think either goalie was particularly better or worse.

View attachment 854186

That’s not saying much since Jarry makes like 3x what Nedeljkovic does, but I still don’t see Jarry as an issue.
Jarry at 5.3M is a negative value tho and team realized that. He´s also unplayable in key games and in key moments. He needs to go. Ned can stay as a backup. But we need another goalie, other than Jarry.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Where are these quotes that support this claim?

I'm not defending Sullivan here, he clearly sucks and should be fired. But there is no proof that he's telling Rierden "don't make any changes to the powerplay, the guys will figure it out".
“You can over-coach it, and the players become robotic. You take them out of their instinctive mindset when players are at their best,” Sullivan said. “We have some first-ballot Hall of Famers on that unit that think the game at a really high level. So, we don’t want to get in the way of that. But we have to have some predictability among the group of five. That’s what we are trying to do. Get them on the same page. Simplify the game. Get in more of a shooting mindset. Usually, their instincts take over from there.”

From last season, granted. But I've heard him say other quotes similar to this before. I'm not gonna dig up each example. But that is one such.

By all means replace Reirden. Clearly he isn't helping. The two things he's in theory responsible for - the PP and the defense - both suck ass.

Doubt anything improves too much as long as Sully remains here though.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
We need to fix the PP especially because we can count on a lot of guys to regress at least a little due to age, even Sid, and we can probably not expect those same guys to be nearly as healthy as they were this year.

PP needs to be 20%. We need to be scoring on 1 out of every 5 chances. Let’s keep the shorties to single digits, too.

How many ES goals did the 4th line score all year, like 12? Should’ve been double that. At least without Carter it’ll be cheaper.

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
lol, way to prove my point. Sully played his boy then MAF went on to bring an expansion team to the SCF and win a Vezina while MM blew shit and literally didn't even play in the NHL this year.
Oh, I remember that SCF where he had another mental breakdown and didn't have a save percentage above .885 and was booed out of the arena. Yeah, that seems about right.

I get it. You wuvee flowa and jar jars

Reactions: canadianguy77

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Every time Rupp said "The Carter Family" I thought of:

Hated him as a Flyer but he gave his all for the Pens too.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
“You can over-coach it, and the players become robotic. You take them out of their instinctive mindset when players are at their best,” Sullivan said. “We have some first-ballot Hall of Famers on that unit that think the game at a really high level. So, we don’t want to get in the way of that. But we have to have some predictability among the group of five. That’s what we are trying to do. Get them on the same page. Simplify the game. Get in more of a shooting mindset. Usually, their instincts take over from there.”

From last season, granted. But I've heard him say other quotes similar to this before. I'm not gonna dig up each example. But that is one such.

By all means replace Reirden. Clearly he isn't helping. The two things he's in theory responsible for - the PP and the defense - both suck ass.

Doubt anything improves too much as long as Sully remains here though.

But again, just like I said above, that's not saying "do not make changes to the powerplay because the guys will figure it out".

Sullivan gave a nuanced opinion on the powerplay that was basically "you need structure but you don't want to limit the instincts of the star players". That is not telling Todd Rierden to change nothing because "the guys will figure it out".

I think Sullivan is making a mistake with giving the players that much freedom, because they have clearly shown that they don't make good plays with more freedom. With that being said, there's a big difference between "Sullivan is giving the players too much freedom on the powerplay" and "Sullivan is not letting Rierden make changes to the powerplay".

Reactions: DesertedPenguin

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Oh, I remember that SCF where he had another mental breakdown and didn't have a save percentage above .885 and was booed out of the arena. Yeah, that seems about right.

I get it. You wuvee flowa and jar jars
lol I love how some on this board are still stuck in 2012 and can't admit that they were wrong. Pathetic.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
But again, just like I said above, that's not saying "do not make changes to the powerplay because the guys will figure it out".

Sullivan gave a nuanced opinion on the powerplay that was basically "you need structure but you don't want to limit the instincts of the star players". That is not telling Todd Rierden to change nothing because "the guys will figure it out".
They've been running the same shitty umbrella with predictable drop pass for years now so I mean what coaching is happening for that PP?

Or if Reirden/Sullivan are trying to change things, clearly the message isn't getting through.

The PP alone is cassus belli to fire this entire coaching staff.

Reactions: Jacob

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Yeah that's the bigger way I'd criticize Sullivan here, the fact that he doesn't take away their freedoms while they're clearly not playing well on the powerplay.
He might as well have said, i don't analyze it or understand it, so i just never tried to improve it, you know, in case my ideas are stupid or whatever, this way I can't be blamed for not playing the right way, it's the players fault for not having a coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad