Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Isles: Its over

Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'm always excited for the playoffs, no matter if the Pens are out.

Greatest trophy to compete for and the greatest 2 months in sports.
The REAL season is about to begin. It's going to be great! Watching the Pens in the playoffs I'd probably hang myself...playoffs are about the inches.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Silver linings:

-Crosby had a great season and odds are he'll be singing one last extension this summer. He's got a few years left in him and we may see him pass Jagr's playoff scoring mark if the team plays its cards right.

-Early outlook on the Guentzel trade is positive. Bunting looks like a fit. He's scoring and bringing an element of legitimate grit that this team has lacked for several seasons, and the grab bag of prospects is intriguing.

Aaaaand...uh.... that's all I got.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
There is nothing to base this claim on.

Rierden was in control of the powerplay and it sucked. There's no proof out there that Sullivan was telling him to not make changes to the powerplay because "they'll figure it out".
There's literally quotes from Mike Sullivan about not wanting to overcoach the PP. He's said it repeatedly in his time here.

Nothing will change as long he's here.

They've changed his assistant coaches. They've changed the roster. They've changed GMs.

Same issues still

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Hershey has had one of the best PPs in the AHL the last 2 years under Todd Nelson, and way back when he coached Grand Rapids to a championship they were ranked #1 then too. I do not see much about Hershey’s PP that I can point to that makes it good but change is needed, obviously. With or without Sullivan he might be a good assistant to run the PP/D.

He’s probably on some teams radars for a head coaching spot though.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Will drop pants for food. : r/TheSimpsons

Live look in at Todd Reirden.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Goaltending, fixing the powerplay, bottom six, getting rid of Reirden, Carter (actually he was better than last year, enjoy the retirement), R.Smith, Graves and probably Jarry. Maybe Rakell. Getting some better value on FA market than these guys should be possible. This team has some pieces. Bunting, Rust and DOC especially are good wingers and good value.

It´s possible to compete next season, but proper work absolutely needs to be done. This last month, the team was extremely fun to watch and actually really good. Came up just short. But they finally realized how to score goals. It all came down to constant net front presence and point shots. 50% of scoring came from that lately.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Somehow Dubas created a worse team than Hextall did.

Amazing work.
Who knows which team is better? Without a competent coaching staff it’s too hard to tell. But I think as a whole, this team played better than last years. They had some really good stretches of hockey. Last season was a total slog.

This team was definitely good enough to make the playoffs.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Hershey has had one of the best PPs in the AHL the last 2 years under Todd Nelson, and way back when he coached Grand Rapids to a championship they were ranked #1 then too. I do not see much about Hershey’s PP that I can point to that makes it good but change is needed, obviously. With or without Sullivan he might be a good assistant to run the PP/D.

He’s probably on some teams radars for a head coaching spot though.
I'd probably take him over Sullivan...let him coach our PP, it can't be any worse.

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
I'll be right about TJ just like I was with MAF. Sorry.
Was it the part where he was benched and they won back to back Cups? Was that what you were right about? I don't know what your obsession with Jarry is. Fleury I get. He has a beautiful smile. I guess you're like one of those Florence Nightingale effect things. I get moist over oft injured goalies who meltdown constantly and need to be coddled too.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There's literally quotes from Mike Sullivan about not wanting to overcoach the PP. He's said it repeatedly in his time here.

Nothing will change as long he's here.

They've changed his assistant coaches. They've changed the roster. They've changed GMs.

Same issues still

Where are these quotes that support this claim?

I'm not defending Sullivan here, he clearly sucks and should be fired. But there is no proof that he's telling Rierden "don't make any changes to the powerplay, the guys will figure it out".

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Who knows which team is better? Without a competent coaching staff it’s too hard to tell. But I think as a whole, this team played better than last years. They had some really good stretches of hockey. Last season was a total slog.

This team was definitely good enough to make the playoffs.

Last season’s team was firmly in a playoff spot and then the wheels came off because Petry had a concussion, Letang had a stroke, and Jarry was hurt.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

I'm not defending Sullivan here, he clearly sucks and should be fired. But there is no proof that he's telling Rierden "don't make any changes to the powerplay, the guys will figure it out".
I thought I read it when we traded for Karlsson.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Carter signed a 2 year extension that I believe was the deal to get him to agree to a trade from LA.. The problem was the over 35 deal that was the type that Pens could do nothing. Letanf and Geno have such deals but Letang looks to still be a top pairing D man as to his play. Geno perked up with Bunting and maybe they can get one more decent year from him. Pens have to make changes here.

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
Not having a starting goaltender this year didn't help. They spent $5 million a season on a guy we all knew was a big mistake. The dude is fragile and mentally soft. We've been dealing with that at the goaltender position since the early 2000s. Shame.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Last season’s team was firmly in a playoff spot and then the wheels came off because Petry had a concussion, Letang had a stroke, and Jarry was hurt.
But the hockey was shit all season long. They had stretches this season where they dominated ES play. If not for some untimely goaltending they could’ve went on a 10-15 game run back in November December.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad