Series Talk: Pens vs Habs Round 1 Best of Five - Episode 3: Déguédine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
If JJ would just use that ALLEGED physicality in games, maybe he would be of some use, but he just seems to exist and not do much of anything productive...

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
If JJ would just use that ALLEGED physicality in games, maybe he would be of some use, but he just seems to exist and not do much of anything productive...

He interferes pretty well during dump ins behind him. Also likes to hold players up along the board when puck isn't near. Could be useful in playoffs.

Lol

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
After second period...

I don't hate Marleau-McCann-Lafferty. But I don't love it. It does good stuff, but mostly off broken play. There's no particular sense of identity or a driver. Looking for some chemistry between Marleau and McCann to develop, a sense of role sharing. If it doesn't, then Sheary and Horny getting swapped would probably be good even if you have no worries about Sheary on Sid's line.

After that half I don't have any new worries about Sheary. There's some pop. Guentzel looked the quiet one.

I expected the JJ and Ruh goals to be kinda lol bad but they were actually both pretty good. I don't think Jarry read JJ's shot right but mightn't have got it anyway.

Having been nice to him, JJ's pass for Blueger's goal was just the single worse thing all day and it came when I was even thinking a few nice things about JJ-Schultz were playing with the game breaking up a little. Yeesh.

Blueger did nothing to dispel my suspicion that he'll be better than McCann down the line.

Second half was some of the more structured hockey we've seen from them all so far.

I don't know how much I ever believed that, if I'm being honest. Maybe there were some interested but certainly not at what JR fell all over himself to pay him.

I just think that there have been so many contracts where we've said "they can never move that/it will take too much to move that" and then... they move it. Usually with much less given up than expected.

But frankly I'm just kind of hand-wringing for no good reason... for now. Just nice to have something to talk about besides the collapse of society, I suppose.

I think that regardless of whether you believe the rumours - and I find them plausible, multiple NHL teams interested in doing something stupid with veteran dman is very plausible, but there we go - equating the level of interest in a 32 year old JJ in a time of assumed big cap growth with the level of interest in a 34 year old JJ in a time of flat cap is probably not going to bear out. Sooner or later the "they can never move that" crew will be proven right and this one looks as 'promising' a prospect as we've seen to be that time.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
So if Sid isn’t back by what day should we be legit worried. Even with the world falling apart some things never change!

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He interferes pretty well during dump ins behind him. Also likes to hold players up along the board when puck isn't near. Could be useful in playoffs.

Lol

He tries to throw hits all the time. The issue is his mobility blows and he can’t recover so he gets burned.

Was one of the nice things about Gudbranson tbh. Knew how to play his angles way better than JJ.

Reactions: EightyOne

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's silly at this point to pile up on JJ, but I'm going to do it. If I were his partner, it'd drive me f***ing nuts. He puts his partner in god awful positions. You always have to get the puck while JJ "battles in front". You are left alone with no support because he's going out of his way to do something stupid. He can't make a pass. It would drive me insane.

All I ask of him is to at least be a good front face shot blocker like Ian Cole and stop doing stupid shit.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's silly at this point to pile up on JJ, but I'm going to do it. If I were his partner, it'd drive me f***ing nuts. He puts his partner in god awful positions. You always have to get the puck while JJ "battles in front". You are left alone with no support because he's going out of his way to do something stupid. He can't make a pass. It would drive me insane.

All I ask of him is to at least be a good front face shot blocker like Ian Cole and stop doing stupid shit.

I mean, if you were his partner you’d hypothetically be Schultz who has somehow been worse than JJ.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I mean, if you were his partner you’d hypothetically be Schultz who has somehow been worse than JJ.

Well that is true. #4 really lost confidence. And it happens to all dmen. It happens. But man he looked baaaad.

It will be an interesting offseason. Just so much weird shit going on. I have no clue what a guy like Schultz gets paid.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Well that is true. #4 really lost confidence. And it happens to all dmen. It happens. But man he looked baaaad.

It will be an interesting offseason. Just so much weird shit going on. I have no clue what a guy like Schultz gets paid.

If Gonchar can't fix him no one can.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Is it just me or does Gonchar seem like less of a saviour every year?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I think it’s mental and physical, tbh. He’s had a lot of injuries for years now. The mental part is just magnifying it all but you can’t say by how much. The thing is, is he wrong? If he’s afraid of getting hurt he should be because he keeps getting hurt and so does the team. Lack of confidence in his partner? Fair, Pettersson didn’t have a good season and JJ is JJ. Lack of confidence in himself? Also fair. He’s been bad, it could be from injuries permanently limiting him and the last time he sucked he spiralled to what he was in Edmonton until a fortunate trade. It’s a contract season, he’s been pushed down to the 3RD, etc. It’s a rough situation.

A cheap one year prove it deal somewhere and the hope of teams having more money to spend the following summer. He might rebound to something decent. I think he still has the tools to be effective if he can put things together again... unless it was the concussions.

I still would love to hear Sergei Gonchar’s positive words about Jack Johnson.

“He doesn’t literally shit himself on the ice. As far as I know.” - Gonchar

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Schultz had a decent enough season by the numbers away from JJ and he's still a guy who, by the numbers, helps generate a lot of shots if you get him into the offensive zone. He's not the same player he was but he is still capable of being effective. He just needs someone to get him into the offensive zone because he doesn't really have the tools to elude a forecheck. That someone's not JJ.

My guess is some team next year picks him up cheap and puts them next to an Ian Cole type on their bottom pairing (i.e. defensively sound but with an outlet pass) and laughs at our struggles with him as he puts up a good season.

Also, re JJ deployment - looked it up for all games with Sid, Geno, JJ and Dumo (so not getting thrown by JJ on top pairing) - Sid gets 2:30 of JJ, everyone else gets 3:30 of JJ. If that continues that is at least fair and gives Geno plenty of time with other partners (3:11 with Dumo, 5 minutes with neither - I'm guessing this sample comes from some very special teams heavy games)

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
No question Petts and Marino are emerging as the second pairing and fortunately Schultz who I really liked before his injuries is not that player now. Maybe the time off helps him and he and JJ are both capable vets who can be a decent third pairing. I think JJ will be moved to allow POJ to play. Would I like a physical D man preferably on the RH side next year, absolutely.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I keep forgetting about the scrimmages. Being without sports for 4 months, this whole thing doesn't seem real.

So, I doubt anyone knows anything about Sid, but is anyone concerned it has to do with the core muscle injury that he never seemed to get back to 100% with after the surgery?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I'm curious to see if the Penguins ever give Lafferty a look higher up in the lineup, specifically on Crosby's RW. He had very similar AHL numbers in his full seasons to Simon (49 points in 70 games for Lafferty, 48 games in 68 games and 46 points in 70 games for Simon), so I don't know why Simon would be okay there but Lafferty wouldn't.

You can let Lafferty, Simon, Poulin and maybe Rodrigues battle it out for Crosby's RW spot next year and just run with the hot hand.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia