Salary Cap: Pens Salary Thread: Pens Ownership "Dubas... that Coca-Cola machine. I want you to shoot the lock off it. There may be some waiver players in there."

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I guess I missed noticing that. It would make sense that she would wear Canes gear, and yeah, IMO I would suspect it means what it means, that she supports her husbands team.

Ladies tend to be different IMO. They highly value relationships and family.

The fact we beat them, and didn't look like a mess, goes towards planting a seed in Guentzel maybe wanting to be here. However who knows, there are so many factors at play here (ie. does Dubas want him back, can Carolina afford him, etc), that anything I believe/think is pure speculation.

I would be willing to say that he will likely choose between:
a) staying in Carolina
b) come back to Pittsburgh
c) move out to California where he's from

If he does back, then we can go back to complaining about GCR...maybe it is time to move on then :D.

I mean Carolina dominated us yesterday. We got a great performance by Ned.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If they could trade Rakell and Smith, I see no reason they couldn't bring back Jake, provided he comes down from the $10mil number. If he was willing to do something around $8mil, we could put together another decent roster.

Jake-Sid-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-XXXX
DOC-3C-Puustinen
Poulin-Eller-Puljujarvi

If you could get rid of Sullivan, I'd potentially target Sprong. Bunting-Malkin-Sprong has the making of a solid 2nd line. Put Pono at 3C perhaps or put Eller at 3C and make the 3P line.

Reactions: Sidgeni Malkby

FlightlessBird

Nov 5, 2005
Pittsburgh

Hope that link works. It’s to the podcast of Madden’s show today with Dubas. He’s on for the first 17ish minutes. Nothing earth-shattering. Lots of the same stuff he’s said over the past few months. (If you don’t have a Sully, you’re looking for a Sully :eyeroll: ) Madden asked him if he’d consider blowing it all up (trading some of the big guys, firing the coach) next year if the team looks the same, and in so many words, he said it’s something he’d consider.

Last edited:

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania

Hope that links works. It’s to the podcast of Madden’s show today with Dubas. He’s on for the first 17ish minutes. Nothing earth-shattering. Lots of the same stuff he’s said over the past few months. (If you don’t have a Sully, you’re looking for a Sully :eyeroll: ) Madden asked him if he’d consider blowing it all up (trading some of the big guys, firing the coach) next year if the team looks the same, and in so many words, he said it’s something he’d consider.
Feel like the only ‘big ones’ they can trade is Letang. They won’t trade Crosby obviously, Malkin will only have one year left after next year which he’s probably retiring so I doubt he’d want to go somewhere for his final year and I don’t think anyone wants to touch Karlsson’s contract. IF Letang waives his NMC, I can see some interest.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
1711594440256.png

This is what I imagine we see heading into next season. Dubas trades for a 3C or a 2nd pairing LHD. Signs the other. Gives a back-up like Ned or Lankinen 2+. Signs the young guys.

Reactions: T1K

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Hope that link works. It’s to the podcast of Madden’s show today with Dubas. He’s on for the first 17ish minutes. Nothing earth-shattering. Lots of the same stuff he’s said over the past few months. (If you don’t have a Sully, you’re looking for a Sully :eyeroll: ) Madden asked him if he’d consider blowing it all up (trading some of the big guys, firing the coach) next year if the team looks the same, and in so many words, he said it’s something he’d consider.
Lots of hemming and hawing and over the top praise of Sullivan, but I thought this was interesting:

“I think we’ll get through the season and evaluate all of that. You’re talking about super competitive people, Sully and myself. If we sit here on April 17 and we haven’t advantage of the opportunity that lies ahead of us over the window of the next 21 days or three weeks, the [core] players and Sully are too intelligent to think that we can do the same thing again next year in the exact same way and get a different result.”

I’m going to hold out for a bit of hope based on this comment that substantial changes will be made…he seemed again to want to wait to the end of season before discussing things, as if they’re going to win their next 10 games in a row lol

Reactions: FlightlessBird

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
“ If we sit here on April 17 and we haven’t advantage of the opportunity that lies ahead of us over the window of the next 21 days or three weeks, the [core] players and Sully are too intelligent to think that we can do the same thing again next year in the exact same way and get a different result.”
What is he even talking about here? Opportunity to do what? The only thing up in the air is what place in the lottery the team will be.

Reactions: Andy99

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Maybe those spots will be filled by Yager and Pickering. Dubas mentioned those guys specifically as potential contributors next year.
I'd be shocked if Pickering played a single game. He just turned 20, and he's built like Pettersson. A kid like that can't handle an NHL forecheck.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
If they could trade Rakell and Smith, I see no reason they couldn't bring back Jake, provided he comes down from the $10mil number. If he was willing to do something around $8mil, we could put together another decent roster.

Jake-Sid-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-XXXX
DOC-3C-Puustinen
Poulin-Eller-Puljujarvi

If you could get rid of Sullivan, I'd potentially target Sprong. Bunting-Malkin-Sprong has the making of a solid 2nd line. Put Pono at 3C perhaps or put Eller at 3C and make the 3P line.
Pono hopefully will be given every opportunity next season to be in the lineup as the third line centerman , but Sully is the coach.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Lots of hemming and hawing and over the top praise of Sullivan, but I thought this was interesting:

“I think we’ll get through the season and evaluate all of that. You’re talking about super competitive people, Sully and myself. If we sit here on April 17 and we haven’t advantage of the opportunity that lies ahead of us over the window of the next 21 days or three weeks, the [core] players and Sully are too intelligent to think that we can do the same thing again next year in the exact same way and get a different result.”

I’m going to hold out for a bit of hope based on this comment that substantial changes will be made…he seemed again to want to wait to the end of season before discussing things, as if they’re going to win their next 10 games in a row lol
Sounds more like him saying they might (emphasis on "might") move a core guy to shake things up. The fact he specifically says, "Sully and myself" just adds another bit of proof that Sullivan's going to be around and be involved in whatever "changes" are made.

FlightlessBird

Nov 5, 2005
Pittsburgh
What is he even talking about here? Opportunity to do what? The only thing up in the air is what place in the lottery the team will be.
Agree, but technically they still have a chance to make the playoffs. I think it was like 1.2% as of the morning of the 27th (up from 0.5% the day before). I got the sense he was trying to talk circles around the words “it’s not over, but it’s over.” He can’t bring himself to say it.

Reactions: Andy99

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Sounds more like him saying they might (emphasis on "might") move a core guy to shake things up. The fact he specifically says, "Sully and myself" just adds another bit of proof that Sullivan's going to be around and be involved in whatever "changes" are made.
They already moved the core guy (Guentzel). There's no other "core" player to move.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
The coach needs to do himself a favor and look at Genos minutes in our 4 wins this month.

The season is over anyway, so play that 4th line of kids a bunch, and ease 71’s minutes to around 15 a game. I think we’ll get a more productive Geno, and get a better product on the ice overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad