Salary Cap: Pens Salary Thread: Pens Ownership "Dubas... that Coca-Cola machine. I want you to shoot the lock off it. There may be some waiver players in there."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Interesting stat....
With Bunting and Malkin on the ice together, the Penguins are converting 20% of their high-danger chances into goals according to natural stat trick. Without Bunting on his line, Malkin has only converted 7% of his high-danger chances this season.
Very small sample size compared to “without” but let’s hope it keeps up…

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Because we’re slow and the coach wants us playing as uncreative as possible because he too was talentless hack…

System is obviously a massive issue. Age and mediocre spread is another. But I think this also points to player tendencies as well. How many times have we seen Sid streaking down the ice, gain the blue line, then pull up waiting for the trailer, and he gives the pass to Pettersson who puts a wet noodle of a shot on net from the top of the circles right into the goalie's glove with no net front presence? That happens a lot. And not just with Sid. If you have 6 EK's and a Hornqvist on each like, it might work. As constructed, our rush game has gone to hell because the roster no longer supports our long-term, well-established tendencies.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Interesting stat....
With Bunting and Malkin on the ice together, the Penguins are converting 20% of their high-danger chances into goals according to natural stat trick. Without Bunting on his line, Malkin has only converted 7% of his high-danger chances this season.

Bunting creates space for Malkin, this much is clear.

This team really needs another Bunting (for Sid) and they need 2 playdriving wingers for Geno/Sid.
But since Rust is considered "the core" they can't ship him/his salary out for upgrades.

This team needlessly boxes itself into the corner with "loyalty" to players who don't deserve it.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

This team really needs another Bunting (for Sid) and they need 2 playdriving wingers for Geno/Sid.
But since Rust is considered "the core" they can't ship him/his salary out for upgrades.

This team needlessly boxes itself into the corner with "loyalty" to players who don't deserve it.
It will be interesting to see what they do this off-season. I'm curious on how they view DOC. I think he's a 3LW but at the same time, he needs good linemates to be effective. If they don't want to beef up the 3rd line...I don't know where he fits other than to merely exist on the left side.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
It will be interesting to see what they do this off-season. I'm curious on how they view DOC. I think he's a 3LW but at the same time, he needs good linemates to be effective. If they don't want to beef up the 3rd line...I don't know where he fits other than to merely exist on the left side.

I've said this repeatedly: Rust/Rak and guys like those are in between "Playdriving Winger" and "Rando 3rd wheel"

The issue is the organization sees Rust and Rak as play drivers that help Sid/Geno. I'd rather have 1 $9-10M winger vs the combo of Rust and Rak

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

DOC fits because he's a 10 goal 30 pt player that costs 900k. Not sure what you are on about?

They can't ship Rust out because of his trade protection realistically.

Also, if we are targeting top six wingers to move out, why would you target Rust who is consistently 20+ goals over Rakell or Smith?

X - Crosby - Rakell
Bunting - Malkin - X
X - X Rust
DOC - Eller - Acciari

Would be the forward build, I'd be look at. If we can get out of one of Eller or Acciari obviously do it immediately.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Also, if we are targeting top six wingers to move out, why would you target Rust who is consistently 20+ goals over Rakell or Smith?

X - Crosby - Rakell
Bunting - Malkin - X
X - X Rust
DOC - Eller - Acciari

Would be the forward build, I'd be look at. If we can get out of one of Eller or Acciari obviously do it immediately.

It wasn't an indictment of Rust per se, just the fact he's seen as some key cog/core piece.

So ship out all 3 (Smith/Rak/Rust) of them for a better winger(s) bc this shit clearly isn't working.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Because we’re slow and the coach wants us playing as uncreative as possible because he too was talentless hack…

I do think the system has somewhat to do with this but it's hard to look at a stat like this not think that the team speed being lacking is a part of this.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I do think the system has somewhat to do with this but it's hard to look at a stat like this not think that the team speed being lacking is a part of this.

It's pretty funny how slow and lethargic this team is considering that the coach and last like three GMs won't stop yammering about speed and intensity. This team is either utterly full of shit or their pro scouting is abysmal. Or the coach sucks and doesn't know how to utilize even the players he asks for.

OK it can be multiple things

Reactions: Pancakes

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens will need to trade Rust after next year, He is a fit for a team needing that RW guy who can score 20 goals and has an OK contract. Rust to Detroit makes sense as they have cap room and are under pressure to make the playoffs. Karlsson will be in demand as teams are screaming for PP and great passers from a RH D man. Plus, his contract salary is really good for the last 2 years. He brings back a really good young player at center or forward or a combo of picks as well. Pens need to accumulate talent here as Dubas rebuilds the system. Move Smith at draft day for a second and Pens have 4 picks in first two rounds. Next year yes runout this: Get a LW with size/grit and scoring for Sid or third line.
Doc Sid Rakell
Bunting Geno Rust
? Eller Jesse
Gruden Poulin Acciari

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I do think one bright spot this season has been the evolution of DoC's game.
at 900K he's a huge bargain, he's right there goals/points wise with Smith and Rakell.
I think he busts 20G next year barring injury.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I've said this repeatedly: Rust/Rak and guys like those are in between "Playdriving Winger" and "Rando 3rd wheel"

The issue is the organization sees Rust and Rak as play drivers that help Sid/Geno. I'd rather have 1 $9-10M winger vs the combo of Rust and Rak
I think I agree with this in theory...but then I think back to stuff like Pyatt-Geno-Neal and get iffy. I'd be fine with a 2nd line of Bunting-Geno-Rakell. I think that works well enough for our purposes, assuming you get the 1LW that gets Sid's like back to Jake-Sid-Rust levels. The real key is getting the third line to a level where it's capable of actually providing some offense (again, abandoning the 2 scoring and 2 defense lines model).
DOC fits because he's a 10 goal 30 pt player that costs 900k. Not sure what you are on about?

X - Crosby - Rakell
Bunting - Malkin - X
X - X Rust
DOC - Eller - Acciari

What I was getting at is - where are they penciling him in for next year? Are they saying: Oh we like DOC-Sid-Rust, we can spend money elsewhere! or are they saying: DOC will go to 3LW and we need a new 1LW.

They seem high on the kid.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I know this is not a sexy move but it is a cap move.

I suggested Blues trade of Saad 32 2 years left at 4.5 million. Scores 20 goals around the net.

For...

Ryan Graves 4.5 million for 5 years.

They need a LD.

What yall think?
Saad's a whatever middle-6 guy that's more of the same but getting out of Graves' deal and shaving off 3 years of cap commitment to boot sounds good to me.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Saad's a whatever middle-6 guy that's more of the same but getting out of Graves' deal and shaving off 3 years of cap commitment to boot sounds good to me.
Middle 6 winger. Slightly overpaid. Scores around the net.

Yea nothing great but that's how we get out of Graves deal. Is a ufa for ufa trade.

Any trade with Graves isn't going to be amazing unless we are adding sweetners. At that point keep Graves unless it's a home run.

I don't hate him as much as others but I do get he doesn't fit the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad