Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap Thread: Dr Strangedubas "Tankination" is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I'm absolutely not bringing back Guentzel under any realistic circumstance. He's going to cost far too much money for what he'll provide and Sullivan will just go back to using him how he was used in the past.

Crosby does not need $13 million worth of wingers to make a good top line. That's why O'Connor on L1 is really appealing to me, I think O'Connor-Crosby-Rust will still be a good top line and it saves them a bunch of money with having O'Connor in the role.
If Bunting can carry over what he's done this year into next then I think we'd have two really solid lines with Jake back in the fold.

Depends what he wants of course. He's too pricey as it stands unless the Pens are able to cap dump Smith/Jarry.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
I love all of these off-season scenarios for the penguins.
1713392638992.png

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
If Bunting can carry over what he's done this year into next then I think we'd have two really solid lines with Jake back in the fold.

Depends what he wants of course. He's too pricey as it stands unless the Pens are able to cap dump Smith/Jarry.
Jake would be foolish to come back. And to be fair, this team needs to move on from the nostalgia act. Jake had ample opportunity to sign here & didn’t.

I'm absolutely not bringing back Guentzel under any realistic circumstance. He's going to cost far too much money for what he'll provide and Sullivan will just go back to using him how he was used in the past.

Crosby does not need $13 million worth of wingers to make a good top line. That's why O'Connor on L1 is really appealing to me, I think O'Connor-Crosby-Rust will still be a good top line and it saves them a bunch of money with having O'Connor in the role.
100%

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Your bottom-6 will be really bad because you don't have the money to address it, though.

That's the main reason I flat out do not want Guentzel back period. The money spent on bringing back Guentzel is going to be misallocated, regardless of how much he makes. Crosby simply does need Guentzel to have a good top line, meaning the $8+ million you'd be paying Guentzel is better off going elsehwere. I'm fine with adding someone to bum O'Connor to L3, but Guentzel will cost far too much money for him to be that guy.

Guentzel on L1 is not worth $7 million more than O'Connor on L1.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Did Puustinen die? I notice people aren't slotting him in their hypothetical lineups.

I think Puustinen showed that he can handle a defensive role, which is good, but he's also super vanilla and doesn't really seem to be much of a needle mover. He seems like Dominik Simon 2.0, which isn't bad but also isn't that important of a piece.

I still have him as the 3rd line RW next year and going forward, and I could easily see him being much bigger of a difference maker on L3 if he can start using his shot more. But I don't think he's that notable of a player.

In terms of past Penguins players, I'd want their 3rd line next year to be something like Tanev-Bonino-Puustinen.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This is what I would like to see next season if we can make it happen and if the players are ready lol

Rakell-Sid-Rust
Bunting-Zegras-Neces
DOC-Malkin-Yager
Puusty-Ponoromov-koivunen

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Your bottom-6 will be really bad because you don't have the money to address it, though.

That's the main reason I flat out do not want Guentzel back period. The money spent on bringing back Guentzel is going to be misallocated, regardless of how much he makes. Crosby simply does need Guentzel to have a good top line, meaning the $8+ million you'd be paying Guentzel is better off going elsehwere. I'm fine with adding someone to bum O'Connor to L3, but Guentzel will cost far too much money for him to be that guy.

Guentzel on L1 is not worth $7 million more than O'Connor on L1.
I think there's enough money to address that if they manage to move Jarry/Smith.

Hazed Yoshi

Apr 13, 2023
Look, i wouldn't trust a Leafs fan about anything

But they probably aren't wrong... But Dubas isn't the full issue with the team, just a big part
I agree. But just looking through his time as the leafs GM he made some truly awful decisions. The guy aquired Matt Murray and retained 75% of his 6.2m salary, literally made the senators a favor. The more you hear leafs fans talking about his time there it's enough for me to be worried.

• Haha
Reactions: BusinessGoose

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
LOL at people that think bringing back Guentzel is a good idea. We don't need to be the suckers that sign him to a overpriced, long ass contract with way, way too much term.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Well, maybe dubas got the bad goalie contract over with with jarry

LOL at people that think bringing back Guentzel is a good idea. We don't need to be the suckers that sign him to a overpriced, long ass contract with way, way too much term.
Exactly. He was ON this joke of a team, he obviously isn't part of the solution

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Well, I don’t see a need to keep Ned if we can’t move Jarry. I would offer him no more than 3x3 if we in fact do trade Jarry. Bloomqvist and a cheap veteran is all we need to back up or go into rotation and/or ride the hot hand.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Bloomqvist probably needs another year where he plays the majority of his game in the AHL.

I feel like Blomqvist is actually pretty NHL ready. If they ended up going with Jarry-Blomqvist next year and actually split their usage, I wouldn't mind keeping Jarry.

You don't want Blomqvist sitting as a backup, but Jarry and Blomqvist being used similarly to Fleury and Gustavsson in Minnesota seems like a decent idea to me.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
This is what I would like to see next season if we can make it happen and if the players are ready lol

Rakell-Sid-Rust
Bunting-Zegras-Neces
DOC-Malkin-Yager
Puusty-Ponoromov-koivunen
That’s a lot of dreaming. lol.

I think a trade and a free agent is coming though.

Reactions: Andy99

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens have issues and signing Jake can't be one of them. Mov on here. Doc needs to ger stronger and be the bigger forward to help Sid. I am a fan of Rakell. He is not as good as I hoped but he does bring smarts and a nice scoring touch. If Sullivan doesn't jerk him around, he is a decent 2nd line winger. I liked the eller signing as he is smart, plays the third line role well. He needs some help there. Fourth line is where Pens need to get size, fresher legs and improving play as the season progresses.

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010
At the start of the year if you had told me the Pens, Devils, Sens and Wings all missed the playoffs and the caps got in, I would think your crazy. I don't know what to think the solution is this off season, but it's a shame Crosby is still elite this late and missing the playoffs.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad