Recalled/Assigned: Pens recall D Taylor Chorney

Fordy

May 28, 2008
i guess good for him to get an nhl paycheck while he can

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Rather him eat nachos than Pouliot, Harrington, etc.

While I agree with the above, it is Harrington who should be paired with Letang right now, Pouliot who should be running the 1st PP unit, Scuderi who should be eating nachos and Martin who should be playing for ___________ so we can get a draft pick back for 2015.

Harrington-Letang
Ehrhoff-Despres
Pouliot-Bortuzzo
Scuderi

Make it happen, JR.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
The handwriting is on the wall. Unless there is another injury to the D, DP, Harry, and Dumo will be in W-B the rest of the Year. The reality is that Scuds is MJ's shut down D with all of his lack of Mobility, skating, puck handling and passing skills. He is the most passive shut down D in recent memory. He makes Martin look like scott Stevens. Again Thank You Mr. Shero. And why doesn't JR correct this big mistake is a big mystery. So far JR has done everything right except eliminating scuds. :shakehead:shakehead,

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Chorney being recalled means that Letang ought to be good to go for tonight.

Chorney's here in case someone manages to hurt themselves during warm-ups, but otherwise isn't being stunted by sitting in the pressbox. Plus, he's making league minimum with no potential bonuses (unlike Dumoulin, Harrington or Pouliot), so having him on the roster instead of someone else as the 7th defenseman saves a little bit of cap space.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
While I agree with the above, it is Harrington who should be paired with Letang right now, Pouliot who should be running the 1st PP unit, Scuderi who should be eating nachos and Martin who should be playing for ___________ so we can get a draft pick back for 2015.

Harrington-Letang
Ehrhoff-Despres
Pouliot-Bortuzzo
Scuderi

Make it happen, JR.

Thats an ugly defense grouping, unless we plan to not contend for the cup. With Maatta gone Martin is here to stay as he should

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Harrington-Letang
Ehrhoff-Despres
Pouliot-Bortuzzo
Scuderi

Make it happen, JR.

:laugh: I know this is hockey's future, but come on. Pouliot is not NHL ready for a full time role. Maybe next year and maybe give him more games this year, but that shouldn't be the lineup heading into the playoffs. I'd be cool with Harrington in the top 6 and maybe with Letang.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Thats an ugly defense grouping, unless we plan to not contend for the cup. With Maatta gone Martin is here to stay as he should

:laugh: I know this is hockey's future, but come on. Pouliot is not NHL ready for a full time role. Maybe next year and maybe give him more games this year, but that shouldn't be the lineup heading into the playoffs. I'd be cool with Harrington in the top 6 and maybe with Letang.

We're going nowhere with the current setup. Letang will play his best hockey next to Harrington, as they looked fantastic together. Pouliot is needed to run the PP. He knows the system. He has the trust of the head coach.

It's not ideal that it'd be such a young group, but bite the bullet and let them play. The sooner we do this, the sooner we'll win another Stanley Cup.

If that means we're not going to win it this year, so be it. At least the kids gain invaluable experience. We are not winning the Cup this year.

Still too much Shero/Bylsma residue on this roster/organization.

penguins2946*

We're going nowhere with the current setup. Letang will play his best hockey next to Harrington, as they looked fantastic together. Pouliot is needed to run the PP. He knows the system. He has the trust of the head coach.

It's not ideal that it'd be such a young group, but bite the bullet and let them play. The sooner we do this, the sooner we'll win another Stanley Cup.

If that means we're not going to win it this year, so be it. At least the kids gain invaluable experience. We are not winning the Cup this year.

We can't be running with 4 young D in our top-6, it's a recipe for disaster. I'm as big of a Pouliot fan as there is here, but he's not ready for a full time role. Harrington isn't ready to be a top pair D. In all honesty, Despres may not even be ready for a top-4 role, but I think that's the most likely of those 3 working.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

We play Washington. We win. New York / New York complete beat the **** out of each other and one of their goalies gets hurt. We play that team the next series and win in a convincing 5 or 6. The Panthers go on a run and we meet them in the ECF. We go into the cup final without any injuries and being a well rested team. We win the cup.

You know, kind of exactly how it worked for New Jersey when they had their cup run. Except we actually have the center depth to stack up against a team like the Kings.

Also, no team with Crosby and Malkin should ever make the decision you are advocating. That shows the fan base we are willing to lose a season for no reason in two players primes.

Nei1ey*

About what i expected for this callup. Really wishing for Maatta to be alright, but even if he is, i wonder how effective he'll be knowing teams will target that shoulder.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
He's young. It's troubling but I'm pretty confident he'll be fine.

Different situations but Geno dealt with shoulder issues for at least a couple of seasons and was able to work through it. And I'm sure at least some teams/players were making an effort to hit him harder and with more... precision. Maatta has years on him and isn't quite as heavily relied upon, thus the pressure to get back into the lineup is less.

It is worth bearing in mind that a shoulder injury can take a while to get "right" from. But Maatta seems to have a good bit of bounceback ability in him. And he's already dealt with scarier. A lot of it is simply being strong mentally. And he doesn't seem to have much in the way of problems, there.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
"Oh yea, well you're an even BIGGER stupid head!"

God ilove this place. Anyway, good luck to chorney

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
"Oh yea, well you're an even BIGGER stupid head!"

God ilove this place. Anyway, good luck to chorney

The Chorney move is most likely to be simply that the young guys need to be playing (and they will, in WBS), but the Pens still need a "D" body around -- as others have said.

BUT -- I wonder if the move is more to do with cap implications, i.e. them getting ready to put Olli on LTIR (if he isn't already). Doesn't your roster's composition (in terms of salary) come into play when putting someone on LTIR (in terms of maximizing available cap space)?

dbeats

Aint No Stoppin Us
Jan 16, 2013
Rochester, NY
So far JR has done everything right except eliminating scuds. :shakehead:shakehead,

This is really unfair to pin on JR and is clearly Shero's problem. I would expect the market for an old dman making over 3 million with 2 years left on his deal is not existent. His contract probably makes him essentially unmovable until next off-season when maybe a team that needs to get to the cap floor would take him since he will have less term on him than the last summer.

And I think it does DP, Harrington, etc more good being in the top 4 in WBS getting PP, PK time than being the bottom pair D getting the fewest minutes a game and not getting crunch time minutes because the coach is nervous about putting them in high leverage situations.

Unless you're wanting him to waive him and try to send him to WBS, which I don't think would happen for many reasons, not all related to his skill at hockey.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
We play Washington. We win. New York / New York complete beat the **** out of each other and one of their goalies gets hurt. We play that team the next series and win in a convincing 5 or 6. The Panthers go on a run and we meet them in the ECF. We go into the cup final without any injuries and being a well rested team. We win the cup.

You know, kind of exactly how it worked for New Jersey when they had their cup run. Except we actually have the center depth to stack up against a team like the Kings.

Also, no team with Crosby and Malkin should ever make the decision you are advocating. That shows the fan base we are willing to lose a season for no reason in two players primes.

We've made major mistakes in the past. To continue making the same mistakes would only make our Cup aspirations harder down the road.

Besides, we can win in the scenario you are describing regardless of what moves we make (or don't make), BECAUSE of Crosby and Malkin.

Our fan base will be fine. They have tough skin.

Get To Our Game

May 31, 2008
Pittsburgh
http://blogs.post-gazette.com/sport...for-chorney-a-matter-of-playing-time-01-13-15

“The key thing for Derrick, we want to get him playing,” said head coach Mike Johnston. “If he's not in our lineup, then we need to get him playing for sure. A young defenseman like that, we want in the lineup getting lots of minutes with {Wilkes-Barre/Scranton].

“He did a good job up here but it's a maturing process. Chorney's an older pro. So bringing him up, he's a guy that's been through the ropes before. But we don't want [defensemen Scott] Harrington or [Brian] Dumoulin or Pouliot sitting there waiting for their opportunity to play. They're close enough [to Pittsburgh] if we need them. We can make the switch if we decide to. [Chorney] is a guy that can come up [and] practice with us. He's a veteran pro guy. But we just don't want to do that with young guys.”

So basically:
Rather him eat nachos than Pouliot, Harrington, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad