GDT: Pens Playoff Push: Hold on to your butts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
The Caps scored two goals in the past two games on a goalie and went 2-0.

I don't think this scenarios has ever happened before in NHL history.

If you would have told me, the Caps would score 1 goal each game (Boston, Philly) on a goalie, and one of those games was tied 1-1, you would think the best Washington could do is 1-1, even if you assume one 1-0 shutout. Totally insane.
Most boring type of hockey, trapping… But you can’t blame the coach, it worked… Something Sully is too full of himself to do…

Last edited:

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Most boring type of hockey, trapping…Something Sully is too full of himself to do…

Well actually this team employed that tactic during the 2017 Cup run.
But Mike Sullivan is too egotistical these days to even consider this an option.

Reactions: Andy99

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Most boring type of hockey, trapping…Something Sully is too full of himself to do…
It’s not like what we’re playing is much more entertaining. But if a team can’t lock it down to get a single extra point for the playoffs, they’re not serious about the playoffs.

Reactions: Andy99

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It’s not like what we’re playing is much more entertaining. But if a team can’t lock it down to get a single extra point for the playoffs, they’re not serious about the playoffs.
I can't decide which part is most infuriating:

- pissing away early season games when the bottom 6 could not score a single goal
- pissing away MULTIPLE third-period leads
- the sad post-partum depression phase right after the TDL in which they dropped multiple games with putrid efforts
- the number of games we flat out lost because of poor goaltending
- the fact that even though this was a WC2 bubble team literally ALL year, Dubas made zero moves to help.
- the PP ending up 31st OV and all coaching staff members keeping their job.
- Capitals winning in regulation on an empty net goal because Philly needed the regulation win.

Grouch

Apr 22, 2021
Excited to see Sully tonight play Harkins on the top line to 1) see if he can get that f****ng loser a goal and 2) audition him for his 3 yr extension @$2m to play with Sid next year.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I can't decide which part is most infuriating:

- pissing away early season games when the bottom 6 could not score a single goal
- pissing away MULTIPLE third-period leads
- the sad post-partum depression phase right after the TDL in which they dropped multiple games with putrid efforts
- the number of games we flat out lost because of poor goaltending
- the fact that even though this was a WC2 bubble team literally ALL year, Dubas made zero moves to help.
- the PP ending up 31st OV and all coaching staff members keeping their job.
- Capitals winning in regulation on an empty net goal because Philly needed the regulation win.
Yeah, it’s not like we missed the post season by like 8 points. It’s literally if we’d just changed one thing in all of those one goal games. It’s also why I can’t take this team seriously when they start puffing their chest about how hard they work.

Ol’ Bitchass Carter going on about how everyone counted them out, lol, everyone was right.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
PPL NEED to understand that this team, or (at least the core as well as the coach) don't believe this untenable situation is untenable, THEY BELIEVE they can fix it. Therein lies the issue, they think THEY KNOW better than the masses. That's why after six years of failure they (for the most part) do the same things over and over again and expect a different result.

And because of that I gave up (again for the most part) on this core a couple years back believing nothing much would change. Which is why their profound failure didn't come as any surprise to me.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah, it’s not like we missed the post season by like 8 points. It’s literally if we’d just changed one thing in all of those one goal games. It’s also why I can’t take this team seriously when they start puffing their chest about how hard they work.

Ol’ Bitchass Carter going on about how everyone counted them out, lol, everyone was right.
I think there was a period of time where a bunch of us 8-9-10-11'ers were like "f*** it, we ain't in it" and then everyone kept losing until we all had the same epiphany of "Holy shit, we can't in! Everyone try now!"
PPL NEED to understand that this team, or (at least the core as well as the coach) don't believe this untenable situation is untenable, THEY BELIEVE they can fix it. Therein lies the issue, they think THEY KNOW better than the masses. That's why after six years of failure they (for the most part) do the same things over and over again and expect a different result.

And because of that I gave up (again for the most part) on this core a couple years back believing nothing much would change. Which is why their profound failure didn't come as any surprise to me.
Funny part is, I do believe that if they fired Sullivan and Co and made 1-2 good roster moves, they would be a playoff team next year. I don't see the Caps, Philly, Wings, Isles being any better next year.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I got pulled back in by Sid going god mode but I don't have much interest in the team until Sullivan is fired. Hopefully it happens sometime next season but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Arguing about the 10th consecutive roster rehaul is pointless when the result will be the same

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I'll watch and hope for the best as always, Sully or no.

I can't see us doing well though if we go into next season with Mike Sullivan still here and Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin at ages 37 and 38 respectively.

The sad truth is we might have just witnessed the last great season by Sid. He might not have this in him again. Next season he might decline to be like a 60-70 point guy or something. It's gonna happen eventually, so every year we waste these great performances from him is a crime.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I'll watch and hope for the best as always, Sully or no.

I can't see us doing well though if we go into next season with Mike Sullivan still here and Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin at ages 37 and 38 respectively.

The sad truth is we might have just witnessed the last great season by Sid. He might not have this in him again. Next season he might decline to be like a 60-70 point guy or something. It's gonna happen eventually, so every year we waste these great performances from him is a crime.

If his only line mate options are going to be Rust and DOC....I think 70.5 points is probably the over/under mark. That's with an improved PP.

Certainly anything can happen I just wonder where the drive is with him this Summer. We will have to wait and see.

Wishing he comes back as fired up as ever - even if it's under Sullivan with zero hope yet again at any sort of post season / success.

Reactions: Pancakes

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
It's pretty fitting that three out of the four Metro teams that will be in the playoff all have coaches who weren't leading them last season.

Must be nice to not be stupidly faithful to your coach.

It's weird there aren't many Sullivan defenders posting. I wonder why that is?

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
If his only line mate options are going to be Rust and DOC....I think 70.5 points is probably the over/under mark. That's with an improved PP.

Certainly anything can happen I just wonder where the drive is with him this Summer. We will have to wait and see.

Wishing he comes back as fired up as ever - even if it's under Sullivan with zero hope yet again at any sort of post season / success.
Sid will have to look himself in the mirror and face reality.

Do I stay here with the same useless coach and aging core and continue missing the playoffs, or do I go chase a Cup on a real contender elsewhere? That is the question he has to answer.

With two years of missed playoffs in a row, unless a coaching change happens this offseason, there is no middle road.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Two things:

1. This is your monthly reminder that Mike Sullivans 3 year extension doesn't kick in until June. Boston boy probably won't be fired by the Boston owners.

2. This will be the first summer Dubas has without any of Hextalls previous mistakes hanging around.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
I got pulled back in by Sid going god mode but I don't have much interest in the team until Sullivan is fired. Hopefully it happens sometime next season but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Arguing about the 10th consecutive roster rehaul is pointless when the result will be the same
I haven't watched a game in a couple years. I throw it on as background noise via radio feed on app, like... 65% of the time. Just no reason to sit down and give 2.3 hours of my dedication to it.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Two things:

1. This is your monthly reminder that Mike Sullivans 3 year extension doesn't kick in until June. Boston boy probably won't be fired by the Boston owners.

2. This will be the first summer Dubas has without any of Hextalls previous mistakes hanging around.

Your number 2 contradicts your number 1.

Reactions: Goalie_Bob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad