GDT: Pens Playoff Push: Hold on to your butts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
And yet even during this 8-1-3 stretch the same issues that plagued us all season were present in the majority of the games. The PP still sucked. We still blew leads. Our goaltending was still mid.

The same issues that caused us to have a shit record for most of the season also sunk us even during that last stretch of play.
Yeah, this is the really frustrating part-- there was no attempt to improve obvious weaknesses. Like I get they don't want to practice the 3v3 because "it's nahhht in da postseasuh" or whatever, but power plays are! The same problems we all saw in November remained problems up until game 82.

It's bizarre. If they were tanking, I'd get not bothering to do things like coaching, but then they go and trade for a "win now" player like Bunting instead of taking higher picks or better prospects. They keep Carter, tell teams Rust is untouchable, and don't move their faltering goalie despite having interest in him? None of that makes sense from either perspective. We have an expensive mid roster and seemingly no interest in moving players that can be moved, but no interest in making the non-roster moves that could have gotten those measly 2 points to get into the postseason. Literally one more win.

It's going to be a long 3-4 years before Crosby retires. I also don't watch interviews so I missed that Carter one. I would just yell at my monitor anytime they would open their mouthes.
For real. And I get why we're all frustrated. It's just such a dumb position to be in because literally picking one path or the other would have either meant we'd be in the postseason now or prepping for the future.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Yeah, this is the really frustrating part-- there was no attempt to improve obvious weaknesses. Like I get they don't want to practice the 3v3 because "it's nahhht in da postseasuh" or whatever, but power plays are! The same problems we all saw in November remained problems up until game 82.

It's bizarre. If they were tanking, I'd get not bothering to do things like coaching, but then they go and trade for a "win now" player like Bunting instead of taking higher picks or better prospects. They keep Carter, tell teams Rust is untouchable, and don't move their faltering goalie despite having interest in him? None of that makes sense from either perspective. We have an expensive mid roster and seemingly no interest in moving players that can be moved, but no interest in making the non-roster moves that could have gotten those measly 2 points to get into the postseason. Literally one more win.

For real. And I get why we're all frustrated. It's just such a dumb position to be in because literally picking one path or the other would have either meant we'd be in the postseason now or prepping for the future.
Didn't Sullivan during the streak literally just say he didn't change anything and that the team was just playing better?

That's arrogance personified. It's not the system. The guys just had to play better...

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
What I feel about the team has no effect on what the directive is from our GM and ownership. They are not rebuilding.
Then why not sign Jake? Why get prospects and a draft pick? Trading that type of player for a younger middle six forward with term and prospects doesn't strike me as a GM in a ''win now'' mode.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
Didn't Sullivan during the streak literally just say he didn't change anything and that the team was just playing better?

That's arrogance personified. It's not the system. The guys just had to play better...
They really cannot play better... not built right for their age. Need to get more youth. They get to tired...

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Then why not sign Jake? Why get prospects and a draft pick? Trading that type of player for a younger middle six forward with term and prospects doesn't strike me as a ''win now'' team.
It's also not really a rebuilding move. Time will tell, but the Jake return strikes me as a bit of a let down from the perspective of a rebuilding team AND a team trying to compete. I'm glad they traded Jake instead of letting him walk, but I'm still confused as to why we got the package we did.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
It's also not really a rebuilding move. Time will tell, but the Jake return strikes me as a bit of a let down from the perspective of a rebuilding team AND a team trying to compete. I'm glad they traded Jake instead of letting him walk, but I'm still confused as to why we got the package we did.
That is about the most your are going to get for Geuntzel...

• Haha

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I like the return, particularly after I looked into it more. And if the Canes make the finals we can sneak a late 1st out of it. If not we're picking 45 and 46 OA or 44 and 45, depending on what we do tomorrow and what the Wild does. Koivunen is a very good prospect. Probably top two or three in the system. Pomo is likely a bottom sixer next year.

• Haha

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The coolest thing of all is that lost in the pile of (valid) criticism for Graves and Jarry and Smith and Reirden and all that shit is the fact that Sullivan's still here, still manning a dead ship, and still somehow avoiding all responsibility for his team consistently and rapidly getting worse since 2018.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Then why not sign Jake? Why get prospects and a draft pick? Trading that type of player for a younger middle six forward with term and prospects doesn't strike me as a GM in a ''win now'' mode.

Because they had to.

They couldn't risk keeping Jake, missing the playoffs, and not re-signing him.

Also, Dubas has no allegiance to Jake.

They were forced into moving him.

And it's obvious the package was severely based on "win now pieces". The main prospects are "NHL ready" and the most valuable piece in the trade was Michael Bunting.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
If the Isles and Caps roster making the playoffs ahead of the Pens doesn't wake the organization up about a coaching change, nothing will.

It's only the Isles, Caps, Rangers, Bruins, and Panthers that have added value by firing the coach.

Also, you can't fire him in season because then you'd have to replace him!

Reactions: Pens x and Andy99

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
If the Isles and Caps roster making the playoffs ahead of the Pens doesn't wake the organization up about a coaching change, nothing will.
Nothing will. Not for at least a year. We should just quit talking about it, it has been beat beyond death and is certainly not happening. The last 2 weeks killed whatever minuscule chance we had of a change, but even without the surge we were stuck with him for next season at a minimum. I don't understand the disconnect between "what I want" and reality in here...

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Because they had to.

They couldn't risk keeping Jake, missing the playoffs, and not re-signing him.

Also, Dubas has no allegiance to Jake.

They were forced into moving him.

And it's obvious the package was severely based on "win now pieces". The main prospects are "NHL ready" and the most valuable piece in the trade was Michael Bunting.
Bunting is a very nice piece, I'm thrilled with him as we all should be, but he's not the main piece and for you to declare that before these prospects have even entered the system is silly!

• Haha

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I like the return, particularly after I looked into it more. And if the Canes make the finals we can sneak a late 1st out of it. If not we're picking 45 and 46 OA or 44 and 45, depending on what we do tomorrow and what the Wild does. Koivunen is a very good prospect. Probably top two or three in the system. Pomo is likely a bottom sixer next year.
Koivunen is probably the most intriguing part of it, but Ponomarev is just more of what we already have, most likely. Like I'm sure he'll be an okay bottom 6er, but man, we have so many okay bottom 6ers, it's not really something I'd trade for unless I was in a win-now mode and he had a specific role to play. We'll see, like I said, if Pono or Koivunen hits then, of course, the return becomes miles better and I'll gladly eat crow.

But I remain skeptical that a rebuilding team would focus on getting back good bottom 6 role players and a top 9 guy for a 40G winger.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Koivunen is probably the most intriguing part of it, but Ponomarev is just more of what we already have, most likely. Like I'm sure he'll be an okay bottom 6er, but man, we have so many okay bottom 6ers, it's not really something I'd trade for unless I was in a win-now mode and he had a specific role to play. We'll see, like I said, if Pono or Koivunen hits then, of course, the return becomes miles better and I'll gladly eat crow.

But I remain skeptical that a rebuilding team would focus on getting back good bottom 6 role players and a top 9 guy for a 40G winger.
You can be skeptical but I'm willing to give this process a couple years before I just give up on these prospects. IMO It was a nice step in the right direction. Dubas wasn't gonna turn it all around in one season with the mess Hextall left him.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Pono hits what?

Kid is 4 years out from his draft year next season. If he was going to hit he'd have been in the NHL. Injury concern, 23, he's pretty much at the make it or break it age.

I'm not even sure where he'll fit on the NHL roster next year.

We have Eller, Nieto and Acciari who are all hypothetically 4th liners.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Not really at all. But good luck.

Doubt we even get a 100 games out of the 3 prospects combined.
You can doubt it, but my lord they haven't even entered the system yet, you're just being intentionally obtuse here.

Dubs said #1 priority was to get younger and faster. He can take a step in that direction by carefully moving the #1, but it is very unlikely he'll crush the ball in such a deal.
Why move the 1st rounder? This is a long term fix, not a quick one.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
You can be skeptical but I'm willing to give this process a couple years before I just give up on these prospects. IMO It was a nice step in the right direction. Dubas wasn't gonna turn it all around in one season with the mess Hextall left him.
I'm not giving up on them, I'm just saying it doesn't make much sense for a rebuilding team to trade a valuable asset for things they already have in the system + things that won't be useful to them when the rebuild is nearing its end.

Let's assume this marks the beginning of the rebuild. Why trade for bottom 6ers and a guy with top 9 potential instead of aiming for higher blue chips or a guaranteed 1st? Walk me through how you see it fitting into the rebuild, because while we get more prospects, only Koivunen has some sort of boom potential IMO.

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad