Post-Game Talk: Pens jerk around the Canes

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It's kinda incredible just how bad they've both been. If they were their normal selves we're an easy playoff team.

Instead we've gotten a combined like 20-30 goals less than I thought we would from them.
I think this is a lot closer to what Rakell is than the 60pt, ~30g guy tbh. He was pretty shit in Anaheim for years before he was dealt.

Smith just obviously doesn't fit, and seemingly doesn't even want to try. :laugh:

Reactions: Pancakes

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
I think this is a lot closer to what Rakell is than the 60pt, ~30g guy tbh. He was pretty shit in Anaheim for years before he was dealt.

Smith just obviously doesn't fit, and seemingly doesn't even want to try. :laugh:
I never liked the Rakell pickup. His value was buoyed by that one 69 point season. The guy has 12 NHL seasons under his belt. Take out the one good year in Anaheim and the good season he had here last year, and in 10 years in the NHL he has produced at a .57 ppg pace. He' just not all that good.

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I never liked the Rakell pickup. His value was buoyed by that one 69 point season. The guy has 12 NHL seasons under his belt. Take out the one good year in Anaheim and the good season he had here two years ago, and in 10 years in the NHL he has produced at a .57 ppg pace. He' just not all that good.

He's scored 43 goals and 106 points in 163 games here. Hard to hate it especially given Sullivan's weird usage of him.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
He's scored 43 goals and 106 points in 163 games here. Hard to hate it especially given Sullivan's weird usage of him.
So a .65 ppg pace. Against the backdrop of the rest of his career, that hasn't been the case. He has two good seasons that make him appear better than he is, when in reality he's a ~47 point player.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Careful. I got lectured for calling those 50 point wingers 50 point wingers because once or twice in their careers they paced for more than that. :sarcasm:
Four out the last five years, Bryan Rust has been producing at a better rate than that, so you could make that kind of argument about him, I guess. But in his career as a whole, he's a ~50pt guy.

The problem is that Crosby and Malkin aren't 100pt guys anymore, so they can't drag around 50pt guys. Plus, scoring is up, so 50pts doesn't get you what it used to. They each need at least a 70pt wing to go along with a 60+pt wing. Bare minimum.

I just have no idea how Dubas, Sullivan, or anyone at FSG thinks they're going to make a push for the playoffs next year with this team, one year older. Unless it's all just PR speak to placate the average fan.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
It just looks like general frustration. :laugh:

"I'm terrified Sid might want out" :laugh: Dork.
These geeks would faint if they really heard how guys talk to each other during the heat of a game.

I think people honestly believe players are just like “gosh darn, that was a tough shift but you did your best! I’m glad you’re my teammate!”

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I don't dislike Rakell, but he, Rust, and Smith are all third wheel type players on a team that desperately needs a second wheel on line 1 and a first wheel on line 2. They're just not players that consistently create their own offense. Sid and Geno used to be able to turn guys like that into convincing top 6 scorers - Kunitz, Dupuis, etc - but that time is in the past.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
It's kinda incredible just how bad they've both been. If they were their normal selves we're an easy playoff team.

Instead we've gotten a combined like 20-30 goals less than I thought we would from them.
It kinda makes you wonder about how many guys come to the Pittsburgh Sullivans and suck when they were good before. And then are good again once they leave.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I just have no idea how Dubas, Sullivan, or anyone at FSG thinks they're going to make a push for the playoffs next year with this team, one year older. Unless it's all just PR speak to placate the average fan.
Well the actions that Dubas takes this summer should tell you more about what their plans are than anything they say.

If they make a lot of "win now" type trades/signings then you know that they're going for it and trying to seriously make the playoffs again.

If they go for more of a youth movement then you know that they're leaning more towards at least something of a soft rebuild. A hard rebuild will never be possible while the stars are here.

So we'll see what direction they go.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Well the actions that Dubas takes this summer should tell you more about what their plans are than anything they say.

If they make a lot of "win now" type trades/signings then you know that they're going for it and trying to seriously make the playoffs again.

If they go for more of a youth movement then you know that they're leaning more towards at least something of a soft rebuild. A hard rebuild will never be possible while the stars are here.

So we'll see what direction they go.
Not a huge distinction imo, depending on what you mean by youth movement..I mean if they try to trade for someone like Pinto, or make an offer sheet, or Necas, that’s getting younger and also trying to win now…the distinction should be between going for young NHL players and jettisoning older top six wingers (win now) and trying to get more prospects or unproven players…

Reactions: Pancakes

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
Wow. Some of you are really high on DOC. I don’t see it. I think he can be a decent 3rd liner at best. Doesn’t belong in the top 6, IMO.
Yeah… I think for a good team he’s a force in the bottom six. He has some good attributes but the total package isn’t there to be a top six threat consistently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad