Stars D:

Goligoski-Klingberg (their Olli Maatta)
Oduya-Demers
Benn-Jokipakka

vs

Cole-Letang
Maatta-Scuderi?
Dumo-Lovejoy

The top pairings are a wash. Letang is better than Goligoski but Klingberg is better than Cole. I give them the edge on the second pairing since MJ and co want one of Scuds/Lovejoy there. Third pairing is probably fairly even as well.

As constructed, their D has more upside since they don't have a Scuds or Lovejoy that won't get better. Oduya could start a slide, but he hasn't shown many signs of slowing down.

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
I'm just happy the Pens are back to playing real games. With all of the changes/acquisitions during the summer (we got Kessel? Holy ****) this is one of the longest off-seasons I can remember.

LGP!

I hope the Stars have a D that is as shaky as ours so we can see a bunch of goals. They've probably gotten better since last year with their additions, we'll see.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
They don't have a lot of guys in "oh dear god" territory as far as being slow goes, so there's at least that. Scuderi is irredeemable and slow, at least Bonino does other things when he eventually gets somewhere. They need to start cutting the old fat instead of shooting themselves in the foot. Kunitz is lazy and aging, Scuderi is awful, Lowejoy isn't that good and had a bad preseason, and Dupuis is someone who I now consider unable to stay healthy. Clendening should be playing tonight, at least that should be happening if they can't bring themselves to hurt Kunitz's feelings.

No more Adams, no more Adams.

Smasher

Jan 25, 2012
Finland
nemecic.bandcamp.com
zOWspvR.png

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
They don't have a lot of guys in "oh dear god" territory as far as being slow goes, so there's at least that. Scuderi is irredeemable and slow, at least Bonino does other things when he eventually gets somewhere. They need to start cutting the old fat instead of shooting themselves in the foot. Kunitz is lazy and aging, Scuderi is awful, Lowejoy isn't that good and had a bad preseason, and Dupuis is someone who I now consider unable to stay healthy. Clendening should be playing tonight, at least that should be happening if they can't bring themselves to hurt Kunitz's feelings.

No more Adams, no more Adams

I'll take up the call!

No more Adams! No more Adams! No more Adams! No more Adams!

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

No more Adams, no more Adams.

tumblr_mttprlGXCS1r9nm7io1_500.gif

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
This is fun.

This game could end up being 8-7. Tons and tons of offensive firepower.

I'm up for some good old-fashioned firewagon hockey (which again is another reason I'm also not as bummed about the defense as so many posters). I'd rather watch a team winning 6-4 than 2-0 nine times out of ten.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm up for some good old-fashioned firewagon hockey (which again is another reason I'm also not as bummed about the defense as so many posters). I'd rather watch a team winning 6-4 than 2-0 nine times out of ten.

Agreed but the having Scuds and Lovejoy play as opposed to Clendening makes the offense worse and the defense only marginally better, if at all.

If we are going with 4 scoring lines, we might as well go all out with PMD's while we are at it. I mean if Scuds was some awesome shutdown guy, sure, but he's not anymore (if he ever was).

The good news is, this could legitimately be our defense by mid season:

Cole-Letang
Maatta-Clendening
Pouliot-Dumo

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

I agree with this statement big time!! I miss the hockey that I grew up with.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
We are definitely better off icing all PMD's, honestly. If you're going to win games 7-5, better have the horses to run that race, and we do.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa

I dont mind 2-0 as long as there are a ton of legit chances and great defensive plays to thwart them... I hate obstruction and grinding games that result in nothing exciting. two teams gaining the line and dumping it in or mucking around in the neutral zone all game isnt exactly enticing hockey

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I dont mind 2-0 as long as there are a ton of legit chances and great defensive plays to thwart them... I hate obstruction and grinding games that result in nothing exciting. two teams gaining the line and dumping it in or mucking around in the neutral zone all game isnt exactly enticing hockey

Yeah, the problem is usually these lower scoring games aren't because of outstanding play, they're just a return of the trapping/obstruction heavy hockey that I hated in dead puck era and hate even more now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad