Recalled/Assigned: Pens assign F Bryan Rust and D Taylor Chorney to WBS

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Makes sense, I think Rust definitely has a future as a 3rd liner.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Yeah not sure why Chorney was sent down. Cap move? Too bad about Rust. He could have a future here. Regardless, he'd be a better option on the 4th line than Adams.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Yeah not sure why Chorney was sent down. Cap move? Too bad about Rust. He could have a future here. Regardless, he'd be a better option on the 4th line than Adams.

Nothing "too bad" about Rust. He has been a force in the AHL in his rookie year, and while he showed some good things here, he's not ready to be an impact player in the NHL yet. I suspect that he could be ready to make the jump as soon as next season. In the meantime, he's better off developing in WBS and helping that team win this year.

Also, Rust was playing on the LW last night, which is clearly not the best position for him in the NHL right now. If they want Rust to get used to the LW, they should play him there in WBS. If he's going to get accustomed to a new position, he should learn it in the AHL, not in the NHL. With Hornqvist coming back and Bennett a great fit on RW with Geno, there's no room for Rust right now.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I like Rust. He seems to have all the tools to be an NHL'er down the road. He just isn't ready right now. He hasn't been able to score lately and that may start hurting his confidence. Better to send him down and let him get on track and work on some things.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I'd like to see Dumo or maybe Harry called up and Bort given a few games in the press box to get his game in order.

penguins2946*

I'm guessing our F group for Friday will be:

Kunitz-Crosby-Perron
Spaling-Malkin-Bennett
Downie-Sutter-Arcobello
Sill-Goc-Adams

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I'd like to see Dumo or maybe Harry called up and Bort given a few games in the press box to get his game in order.

I agree, and I would rather it be Dumo.

Dumo MUST be in the NHL next season (waivers), and while Harrington is clearly ready, we at least have the luxury to keep Harry down if we need to. So I'd like to give Dumo some more experience if possible.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013

That isn't how that works see: Despres. Borts needs some sheltered minutes and a competent partner. Unfortunately he can only have one of those.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
You mean which? He can either have sheltered minutes OR a competent partner.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I agree, and I would rather it be Dumo.

Dumo MUST be in the NHL next season (waivers), and while Harrington is clearly ready, we at least have the luxury to keep Harry down if we need to. So I'd like to give Dumo some more experience if possible.
Exactly my thoughts. In addition, I have a gut feeling the Dumo won't really start to show us what we have until he starts playing against NHLers more often. I think he needs every NHL minute we can get him right now to further his development. As I said though, it is only a gut feeling.

That isn't how that works see: Despres. Borts needs some sheltered minutes and a competent partner. Unfortunately he can only have one of those.
Point taken but there is a huge difference between giving a struggling player a few games off and constantly bouncing a young player in and out of the lineup for incomprehensible reasons.

Maybe I'm wrong and Bort just needs to get to his game. :p:

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
awwww and I thought that he was taking a shot at scuds.

I kinda was. If he gets protected minutes, he has to play with Scuds. If he plays with Martin/Ehrhoff he'll have to take on real competition.

Bortuzzo WAS playing worthy of being a low end #4 at times last year, but with the lack of continuity this year he's playing really raggedy. He doesn't seem to have any idea where he's meant to be and he puts himself out of position trying to make a difference rather than playing his game. I think that's pretty understandable considering he's only seen handfuls of games at a time though. He's probably worried where his next shift is coming from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad