Salary Cap: Pens '23-'24 Salary Cap Thread: "Youth movement is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I’m just pissed the team got Erik Karlsson and just can’t use him offensively besides inflating xG even more. Where’s the rushes, dangles on the blue line? Boring ass shit, you can tell Tochett had a lot of influence on how those Cup teams played offensively.

This team managed to find a way to utterly squash any delight to be found in trading for a 100+ point Norris winning defenseman. You almost have to be impressed.

Huzzah low event hockey.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
This team managed to find a way to utterly squash any delight to be found in trading for a 100+ point Norris winning defenseman. You almost have to be impressed.

Huzzah low event hockey.
We're getting 55-60 point over 82 game Karlsson, just like San Jose did besides the outlier year. He's not worse or better. He's the same.
The problem is we're using the outlier year as the basis for judgment. That never works.
Zucker had his outlier year and he's fallen. Rakell had his and he's fallen. Kap had his and then he crashed.
Tale as old as time.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Huzzah low event hockey.
That way is Mike Sullivan and everyone should have known this before trading for a dynamic offensive player lol (otherwise known as black hole on this team) …

his stick to itivness and his conscientious play on both sides of the puck is off the charts.

Plus Bryan Rust likes Mike Sullivan. Read the quotes from our impartial scribe Josh Yohe.
Sure Rust likes Sullivan…he got his boy a juicy large contract and NMC in FA…

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
We're getting 55-60 point over 82 game Karlsson, just like San Jose did besides the outlier year. He's not worse or better. He's the same.
The problem is we're using the outlier year as the basis for judgment. That never works.
Zucker had his outlier year and he's fallen. Rakell had his and he's fallen. Kap had his and then he crashed.
Tale as old as time.

I've watched EK most of his career. He started this year much like I expected. Has slipped into low-event nonsense, since. I dunno. YMMV but he doesn't look like the dynamic player I'm used to watching.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Tale as old as time.
It’s not the points…it’s that he doesn’t generate as much offense as anticipated with his skating and maneuvering …it’s clear he’s being told not to skate the puck thru the NZ…so why get him then? Lol

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I am not seeing these obvious places where EK65 should be skating with the puck instead of passing it. Maybe I will pay attention and notice.

His falling production is because he is a member and actively bad at the 1st Powerplay. Just like everyone else out there.

Reactions: SEALBound

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Bud, you know everything is Malkin’s fault and depends on him playing better…if our democracy tanks, it’s going to be Geno’s fault…

I mean... he needs to be better. But he's also like almost 40 and making only a little more than Ricky "Five Goals but Little Things" Rakell. So yeah. Not a great year but people act like dude is single-handedly self-destructing the team, sometimes.

Hope he gets traded TBH. I'd love to see some people choke on their own words.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Why is he bad on the powerplay?

He's always been good at it.

Malkin's fault?

He isn't good at it, and yes Malkin is a huge part of the problem on PP1. They are all part of the problem. Including Sullivan and Reirden.

I would fire Sully to see if things change. But my hypothesis that Malkin, Crosby, Guentzel and Karlsson are bad PP players won't change until I see them do better.l, with or without Sully.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
It’s not the points…it’s that he doesn’t generate as much offense as anticipated with his skating and maneuvering …it’s clear he’s being told not to skate the puck thru the NZ…so why get him then? Lol
I saw him doing that a lot early in the year. Great zone entries, fast through the neutral zone. One-man breakout on the PP.
Then his pace of play slowed. Is that on the coaches or did his excitement at being here wear out? Hard to say.

Reactions: Andy99

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I saw him doing that a lot early in the year. Great zone entries, fast through the neutral zone. One-man breakout on the PP.
Then his pace of play slowed. Is that on the coaches or did his excitement at being here wear out? Hard to say.

Or how about October hockey isn't January hockey isn't playoff hockey.

Teams are simply not as tight defensively in October. That means our opponents as well. Same thing with Malkin/Smith's hot start. Our team is terrible at generating odd-man rushes, we got some early because it was October.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Night and day between the first few games Vs now. It’s clear it was a systematic change pushed upon EK.

Systematic and being "fixed" by the coaching staff.

I for one am so glad that our betters have the sense and wherewithal to attempt to turn the Erik Karlssons of the world into Chad Ruhwedel 2.0. One could ask why you'd want an EK on your team in the first place if you just want safe and predictable.

Shhhhhhh... let the masters cook. And if it all turns out badly then Mike Sullivan just didn't get the roster he wanted and was stuck with EK. Remind me if you've heard that one before.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

He’s allegedly generating the most of any defenseman outside of Q Hughes and Makar I think by the analytics.

Either way. Who generates anything on this team? Our entire system is predicated on tic tac toe plays and point shots designed for slap passes or tips.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Tale as old as time.
No, dmen aren’t allowed to skate in this system.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Bud, you know everything is Malkin’s fault and depends on him playing better…if our democracy tanks, it’s going to be Geno’s fault…
if or when our democracy tanks, he will certainly have a role, totally minor, miniscule, but a role nevertheless..:sarcasm:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Pens should somehow get Lindholm to be Geno's C and help the PP, keep Guentzel, screw over Van.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Systematic and being "fixed" by the coaching staff.

I for one am so glad that our betters have the sense and wherewithal to attempt to turn the Erik Karlssons of the world into Chad Ruhwedel 2.0. One could ask why you'd want an EK on your team in the first place if you just want safe and predictable.

Shhhhhhh... let the masters cook. And if it all turns out badly then Mike Sullivan just didn't get the roster he wanted and was stuck with EK. Remind me if you've heard that one before.
there will come a point that he will tune out sully just like the core. all will be good.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I love that Rick Tocchet is the secret mastermind behind all of the success the Pens ever had during that two cup run now.

Pretty ridiculous and not based in reality. I want Sullivan gone as much as the next man but give me a break with that bizarre narrative.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't think they have tuned out or quit on Sullivan. At 5-on-5, things are largely working as designed.

I think the PP has tuned out Reirden and/or Sullivan, though.....

......or maybe they haven't, but should. I dunno.

Last edited:

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
I don't think they have tuned out or quit on Sullivan. At 5-on-5, things are largely working as designed.

I think the PP has tuned out Reirden and/or Sullivan, though.....

......or maybe they haven't, but should. I dunno.
YEAH 4 HoFers are listening to Reirden & he is Turn the puck over all the time, Make Ridiculously stupid decisions with the puck & give up 2-1 breaks & Breakaways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad