Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Yes, yes, we all know Jarry is the only person on the roster in the last decade that isn’t a ******* loser.
I guess this is the type of response that someone has to give when their feelings don't match up with facts.

TJ isn't a true #1 but to act like he's a replacement-level backup like some here like to do is just wrong and lazy.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I guess this is the type of response that someone has to give when their feelings don't match up with facts.

TJ isn't a true #1 but to act like he's a replacement-level backup like some here like to do is just wrong and lazy.

The irony of you saying someone else’s feeling get in the way of facts when you dive on grenade after grenade to make sure the name of Tristan Jarry is never besmirched is amusing.

I never said the goaltending was to blame for the season. I pointed out (just as I did last July) there were other options that can still keep you competitive without wasting cap space on a mediocre starter who gets worse as the games get more important in Jarry.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Blaming the season on goaltending is just wrong and lazy.
I would prefer the org not to have this sort of attitude in the twilight of the big 4's careers.

Goaltending IS an issue and has been an issue since Matt Murray stopped being good at hockey.

Make a shakeup trade instead of doubling down on the mental midget that is TJ. Oh wait, Doob already gave him 5 years with a no trade list. Shit!

Here is the biggest question of the offseason to me…. Can we trick Edmonton into thinking Tristan Jarry is a good goalie??????
Sadly there doesn't exist a trade with Edmonton which doesn't send back a shitty goalie with cap associated.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I've seen enough "bad" goalies go to good teams and become "good" and "good" goalies go to bad teams and become "bad" to think that keeping Sully and switching TJ for two career back-ups is not the pot of gold most here think it is.

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
The Pens didn't miss the POs because of goaltending. The missed because they couldn't score.

The Pens were 14th in goals saved above expected and 21st in goals scored above expected in all situations and 30th in PP goals above expected.

Blaming the season on goaltending is just wrong and lazy.
Me wuvy my Jarry

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think Edmonton buying out Campbell and then trading Skinner for Jarry isn't an unreasonable suggestion for what could happen this off-season.

You can rightfully point out Jarry's bad playoff resume, but Skinner's the 2nd worst goalie since the 1990s when it comes to playoff save% of guys who have played in 20 or more games:

lol, that's a brutal stat. I can't imagine being a goalie and being compared to Cloutier. I'd hang them up right then and there.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
lol, that's a brutal stat. I can't imagine being a goalie and being compared to Cloutier. I'd hang them up right then and there.

Yeah Skinner is terrible in the playoffs, which is actually why I think Skinner for Jarry is something they'd consider. Jarry's playoff record is also bad, but it's more "one bad series" for him more than anything else. For a win-now team trying to not waste McDavid and Draisaitl, I can absolutely see them being willing to gamble on Jarry and seeing if they can get all-star Jarry form over sticking with a known failure in Skinner.

Goaltending is super voodoo to begin with, and Jarry has shown to be a terrific goalie in the NHL at times. I can see them thinking "if we get Jarry at all-star form in the playoffs, we'll make the cup finals". That's a colossally sized if, but they're probably right in thinking that.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah Skinner is terrible in the playoffs, which is actually why I think Skinner for Jarry is something they'd consider. Jarry's playoff record is also bad, but it's more "one bad series" for him more than anything else. For a win-now team trying to not waste McDavid and Draisaitl, I can absolutely see them being willing to gamble on Jarry and seeing if they can get all-star Jarry form over sticking with a known failure in Skinner.

Goaltending is super voodoo to begin with, and Jarry has shown to be a terrific goalie in the NHL at times. I can see them thinking "if we get Jarry at all-star form in the playoffs, we'll make the cup finals". That's a colossally sized if, but they're probably right in thinking that.
Yeah, I think you're on the mark here, Emp. I don't know if they'd bite, but again, I think Jarry still has enough potential around the league for someone wanting to bite on a trade for him. The question is, "does the organization want to move on from Jarry?" and as @BlindWillyMcHurt says, it's looking more likely.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think they'd PREFER to move on. I mean who wouldn't? But this team is so borderline lazy and utterly lacks any kind of sense of urgency or impetus that I could totally see them just shrugging and saying "welp whatever hopefully THIS year he doesn't fold like a cheap suit post New Year. At least he's got a GREAT personality!"

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Maybe if TJ sarcastically stares down a few more of his teammates this year after he gives up a shitty goal he can endear himself to them a little more?
Pairs well with the passive aggressive bullshit he says in interviews like "Yeah well, if you guys had any idea what *I've* been dealing with..." :laugh:

What an unlikable f***ing loser. He and Sully can't be jettisoned fast enough.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Pairs well with the passive aggressive bullshit he says in interviews like "Yeah well, if you guys had any idea what *I've* been dealing with..." :laugh:

What an unlikable f***ing loser. He and Sully can't be jettisoned fast enough.

I get that you have to have an ego on you and a short memory especially as a goaltender,

But you're not that guy, Tristan. First off... your name is Tristan. That automatically disqualifies you from being that guy. Work with what ya got, sport.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I'm sure Edmonton would be interested in Jarry but idk how we make that work. I want no part of Skinner really.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
All joking aside, maybe Jarry ends up settling in well somewhere. He has shown flashes of elite goaltending, but he's so volatile, inconsistent, and injury prone--coupled with being a weirdly arrogant without any reason to be... Eh, over the guy.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
In some extremely desperate circles that have only very vague ideas as to what true legendary players look like this side of like... WWII... Doug Gilmore is held in rather absurdly high esteem.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd even be willing to retain a bit on Jarry to make Skinner for Jarry work, just because I think it's a deal that makes a lot of sense for both sides and would be willing to make it more palatable for Edmonton. I already talked about how I can see Edmonton justifying that deal, and I think that's even more true if Jarry's coming in at like $4.5 million ($850k-ish retained). But on the Penguins side, I think adding Skinner basically sets up the Penguins goalie situation as it should be: short term platoon goalies that can be moved once Blomqvist is ready.

Skinner has 2 more years at $2.6 million left, so you can plan on running with Nedjelkovic-Skinner next year and then either Nedjelkovic-Blomqvist or Skinner-Blomqvist in 2 years. I'm not quite ready to commit to something like Nedjelkovic-Blomqvist for next year, but the short terms left on Skinner and (presumably) Nedjelkovic give you the flexibility to do that if Blomqvist shows he's ready.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I mean, a shakeup for cheaper goaltenders who can platoon is really the only option left for the goal situation. We don't have the space or the assets to acquire a real topflight guy, and if we did, we'd probably end up having to move Blomqvist.

We're not looking for anything long-term, we're looking for someone who can potentially go on a hot streak and be competant when not. That's it.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad