Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
We are talking with no retention.

No chance in hell LA is taking him on.
The Kings have no big ticket contracts due this offseason. They actually gain $3 million with Kopitar's extension, as he drops from a $10 million cap hit to $7 million. They probably aren't bringing back Matt Roy on defense as they have a host of youngsters potentially due playing time, specifically Brandt Clarke who has already earned NHL experience.

Lizotte, Grundstrom, Byfield, and Kaliyev are all RFAs. Lizotte may be a non-tender candidate. He's certainly not getting a raise on his current cap. Grundstrom won't get much of a raise, if any.

Byfield will get a solid bump, but he only has one season of production and he's only 21, so it'll still be modest. Kaliyev will be modest, too.

Their only decisions are what to do with Arviddsson and what to do in net.

They could easily push out Lizotte and Grundstrom, add Smith, and let the likes of Turcotte, Chromiak, and a couple others push for playing time as rookies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The Kings have no big ticket contracts due this offseason. They actually gain $3 million with Kopitar's extension, as he drops from a $10 million cap hit to $7 million. They probably aren't bringing back Matt Roy on defense as they have a host of youngsters potentially due playing time, specifically Brandt Clarke who has already earned NHL experience.

Lizotte, Grundstrom, Byfield, and Kaliyev are all RFAs. Lizotte may be a non-tender candidate. He's certainly not getting a raise on his current cap. Grundstrom won't get much of a raise, if any.

Byfield will get a solid bump, but he only has one season of production and he's only 21, so it'll still be modest. Kaliyev will be modest, too.

Their only decisions are what to do with Arviddsson and what to do in net.

They could easily push out Lizotte and Grundstrom, add Smith, and let the likes of Turcotte, Chromiak, and a couple others push for playing time as rookies.

And the question is why would they do this when they could add a better player at 5 mil?

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
Reilly Smith's favorite movie is Wonder Woman 1984.
My favorite Wonder Woman
1715123983818.png

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
I wouldn’t hate moving smith just for the sake of getting some cap room and signing someone who plays a different style. I don’t think Smith is a bad player or anything just very vanilla.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I don't think it is going to be super difficult to move Smith. Lots of teams value what he brings to the table. Heck, Dubas did too. He just did not fit here. And there is a list of players who had a track record, came to Pittsburgh, struggled, then moved on and found their game again. So I don't think we need to take on a salary in a Smith trade. I think he can be moved for a mid-round pick.

As for Marner, I love him as a player. I gravitate towards the cerebral players. Those who think the game a little better than the others. He is that type of player. I would love to have him. That said, enough with the first-round draft pick talk. We cannot trade anymore firsts during the rest of the Crosby-Malkin era. That is (hopefully) a thing of the past. Plus, guys like Yager and Pickering are off the table, too. We simply cannot afford to move these players. Dubas went out of his way to talk up these players when he said we need to get younger and we need to give these guys a look. Yager, Pickering, Blomqvist have to stay.

If that means we have no shot at getting Marner, so be it. He will be a UFA in a calendar year. If he likes Dubas, he will consider Pittsburgh. End of story.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Sharks win the lottery, get #1 pick

And get #14 from us

Meanwhile we're running it back instead of resetting for a year or two, to prolong the mediocrity over half a decade

Getting out maneuvered by the Sharks ownership and GM.

FSG = F***ing Stupid Guys

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
It's OK. Kyle Dubas made sure to let us know whose fault that REALLY was.
Canucks might grab him, I’m sure JR knows the reason Reilly sucked giant dog balls all year and it wasn’t because he’s a Whiney little bee-atch

So our pick goes to San Jose. At least we don't have an unprotected first round pick hanging in the wind next year.
Yet

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Look Pens still have a potential late first pr mid second. Plus what they get for Smith and at least they have picks this year. Next year Pens gave picks plus what they get from trades Dubas will make as he retools the roster. The purge starts in earnest after next season.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Sharks win the lottery, get #1 pick

And get #14 from us

Meanwhile we're running it back instead of resetting for a year or two, to prolong the mediocrity over half a decade

Getting out maneuvered by the Sharks ownership and GM.

FSG = F***ing Stupid Guys
I mean, I wouldn’t personally be envious of the San Jose franchise.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I just want to point out Carolina's forward lineup:

Jake Guentzel - Sebastian Aho - Andrei Svechnikov
Teuvo Teravainen - Jordan Staal - Seth Jarvis
Jordan Martinook - Jack Drury - Martin Necas
Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Evgeny Kuznetsov - Stefan Noesen

That is an extremely well-balanced forward lineup. All four lines are offensive threats, and there are no real liabilities to hide or shelter.

They are doing this with two impact forwards that are on ELCs. Now THAT is how you build a forward group.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
We don't have the assets for Marner.

Toronto isn't going to want either of our old 35+ year old defensemen.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
I just want to point out Carolina's forward lineup:

Jake Guentzel - Sebastian Aho - Andrei Svechnikov
Teuvo Teravainen - Jordan Staal - Seth Jarvis
Jordan Martinook - Jack Drury - Martin Necas
Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Evgeny Kuznetsov - Stefan Noesen

That is an extremely well-balanced forward lineup. All four lines are offensive threats, and there are no real liabilities to hide or shelter.

They are doing this with two impact forwards that are on ELCs. Now THAT is how you build a forward group.
They scratched Kuznetsov tonight and inserted Comtois, who is also a young forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad