Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Every year this place comes up with all these super inspired, super ambitious ways to fix things and then July rolls around and the truth is we're gonna get some lame f*** like Reilly Smith and a handful of "why? what's the need for this guy?" moves like Nieto, Acciari and the like. :laugh:

For real. How is this team going to realistically trump adding a 100+ point Norris winning defenseman? Because they did that and they sucked worse.

At this point I'm only debating these lineups out of boredom and I enjoy talking to (most of) ya'll. In reality whatever they do is f***ing pointless for the foreseeable future.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I also don't see us moving Reilly Smith without retention or paying to move him.

I don't see any reason why they would have to pay to move him or be asked for retention.
  1. He had 40 points in 76 games.
  2. He has been productive and healthy his whole career, He has only one season where he played less than 81% of the total regular season games.
  3. He has been productive in the playoffs, 79 points in 106 playoff games.
  4. He costs 5 mil in AAV but 4 mil in actual cash.
  5. He has one year left on his contract.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
How the hell does Acciari have trade protection? We just hand those out to 4th line players? That’s awful.

Why? Because free agents don’t want to come here. That’s why we had to offer Acciari 3 years and a partial no move lol…I don’t want these guys…just get some young hungry players we don’t need to pay much…

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't see any reason why they would have to pay to move him or be asked for retention.
  1. He had 40 points in 76 games.
  2. He has been productive and healthy his whole career, He has only one season where he played less than 81% of the total regular season games.
  3. He has been productive in the playoffs, 79 points in 106 playoff games.
  4. He costs 5 mil in AAV but 4 mil in actual cash.
  5. He has one year left on his contract.

Because he had 26 goals and 56 points with the Knights with exactly what you are saying and he returned a 3rd.

Same reason Zucker returned a 6th.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Why? Because free agents don’t want to come here. That’s why we had to offer Acciari 3 years and a partial no move lol…I don’t want these guys…just get some young hungry players we don’t need to pay much…
A hate UFA to begin with. These types of contracts seriously limit your flexibility. For what’s probably a replacement level player. I think we have like 11 forwards under contract? Makes it hard to make adjustments.

Reactions: Andy99

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Idk if it's that FA's don't want to come here. I think it's a combo of a couple factors:

1. GM's want to get "their guy" so they'll throw in a NMC as a sweetener. I bet Acciari had a few offers, but he went with likely the only team that included a NMC
2. Offering these is a way to keep the AAV of the cap hit down. If a player is asking for $5.5, the likely counter is "we can't afford that, but we'll do $5 with a NMC"

But your point is valid: you do not give NTC/NMC's to role players or anyone outside of your core superstar players. That is how you become Detroit circa early 2010's.

PS- Rust should not be considered a core piece, but here we are

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Because he had 26 goals and 56 points with the Knights with exactly what you are saying and he returned a 3rd.

Same reason Zucker returned a 6th.

He only returned a 3rd because Vegas was over the cap and had to move money out. That's not true with the Penguins.

He also had an extra year on his deal that he doesn't have now.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Kings, Canucks, Avs, Leafs and Oilers all seem like feasible options.

The Kings have 20 mil to sign 5 forwards, 2 defensemen, and 2 goalies.

Doubt they are spending 5 mil on a winger.

Canucks have 27 mil to sign to sign 4 forwards, 3 defenseman. Maybe they spend 5 million on Reilly Smith. Seems like a weird decision given they are already spending 5+ mil on both Garland and Mikheyev who are similar players.

Avs have 15 mil to sign 5 forwards and 2 defenseman without factoring in Landeskog returning and Mittlestadt resigning. Seriously doubt they are giving Smith 5 mil.

Leafs have 18 mil 2 forwards, 2 D and a back up goalie. Seriously doub tthey are giving Smith 5 mil.

Oilers have 8 mil to sign 4 forwards and a D. Doubt they are blowing 5 of that on Smith.

None of these teams seem like feasible options besides the Canucks and the question is if you can acquire a forward why the f*** are you acquiring Reilly Smith unless there is massive retention or you are getting something back for taking him or dumping something on PIT?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Good thing Smith made himself attractive to trade partners with his stellar play last year.

He was given away from basically nothing last season when he was actually good, had a great playoff run and won a cup.

The idea that some team is going to take him on full salary with no additions such as dumping cap, retention, or picks going back there way is just ridiculous.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Smith for a 3rd was a steal, coming over and having a rough transition with how inadequate the bottom six was, Rakell out of his sweet spot on the RW with Sid.

The team simply wasn't stacked.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
It's kinda crazy how everyone's ruled out a bounceback from a very good player after one year. He still had 40 points in a PP2 role and was very good on the PK too. It wasn't that tragic.
He was actually more useful than Rakell.
Plus at this point he'd either play with Bunting or Sid, not Geno + Rakell. The situation's changed.

Like, how much more do you expect to squeeze out of 5 mil in the same role?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
It's kinda crazy how everyone's ruled out a bounceback from a very good player after one year. He still had 40 points in a PP2 role and was very good on the PK too. It wasn't that tragic.
He was actually more useful than Rakell.
Plus at this point he'd either play with Bunting or Sid, not Geno + Rakell. The situation's changed.

Like, how much more do you expect to squeeze out of 5 mil in the same role?

I haven't. I think that's why I would rather just keep him.

I also expect Rakell to bounce back too with Guentzel's minutes needing replaced.

You ideally keep Smith and then flip him at the deadline for a 2nd or something if we suck.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I haven't. I think that's why I would rather just keep him.

I also expect Rakell to bounce back too with Guentzel's minutes needing replaced.

You ideally keep Smith and then flip him at the deadline for a 2nd or something if we suck.
Smith's more likely to bounceback, since he has the better career rates and is just a better player.
Rakell has outliers. But yeah it's possible with him too, since Bunting has brought cohesion to that line that Rakell's never had with Malkin before.

Retaining on Smith and then expecting to get more out of that 3.5M player who replaces him is not very realistic. That would hurt the PK too.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Smith's more likely to bounceback, since he has the better career rates and is just a better player.
Rakell has outliers. But yeah it's possible with him too, since Bunting has brought cohesion to that line that Rakell's never had with Malkin before.

Retaining on Smith and then expecting to get more out of that 3.5M player who replaces him is not very realistic. That would hurt the PK too.

The only reason you trade Smith is if you are getting back a 2nd pairing LHD in a swap with little else added.

I have more faith in Rakell bouncing back given the clarity that he had a shoulder injury all season and his production since he came over here.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Hypothetically what team is adding Reilly Smith at 5 million?
The Kings were reportedly interested - Friedman was one of the reports - at the deadline. They just couldn't make their cap work. With a higher cap in the offseason, they may be interested in getting something done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad