Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Don't dislike Marner but I also don't think he does anything this team needs well enough to pay a king's ransom for. And this place would hate him quicker than the two weeks it took for people to hate Karlsson, so, no thanks. :laugh:

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Toronto will be so desperate to shake things up that whoever of their core that they end up moving - and Marner is most likely - that they'll not get full value.

I think Dubas will be interested. I think Marner would be willing.

If Shanahan is still around, there will not be a snowball's chance in hell that Treliving is allowed to deal with Dubas.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Don't dislike Marner but I also don't think he does anything this team needs well enough to pay a king's ransom for. And this place would hate him quicker than the two weeks it took for people to hate Karlsson, so, no thanks. :laugh:
he’s good at something. we need players that are good at something at all, even if they’re bad at everything else

Reactions: Darren McCord

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think the most ideal realistic trade is Rakell, Smith, Pickering and a lottery protected 1st for Marner, which doesn't seem that dissimilar to what the Kessel trade was back in the day. I think the Penguins would need to add another prospect, but not a significant one. They should be trying to keep Pettersson if possible in that deal.

The Kessel deal was basically Kapanen, Harrington and a 1st for Kessel, and I can't imagine that Marner brings back much more (if at all) than that. Pickering, a prospect like Ilyin and a 1st for Marner seems to be decently aligned with that in value.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
They really wouldn't.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Rakell could play LW comfortably, I don't even know that you'd have to trade him in the Marner deal. Just do Smith, Pickering, Ilyin and a lottery protected 2025 1st for Marner and run with:

Rakell-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Marner
O'Connor-3C-Puustinen

I do think concerns about making the money work here are valid, though. Smith out and Marner in at ~$12 million is really tough to fit with the cap for next year.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
If Rakell could play LW comfortably, I don't even know that you'd have to trade him in the Marner deal. Just do Smith, Pickering, Ilyin and a lottery protected 2025 1st for Marner and run with:

Rakell-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Marner
O'Connor-3C-Puustinen

I do think concerns about making the money work here are valid, though. Smith out and Marner in at ~$12 million is really tough to fit with the cap for next year.

marner makes 10.9

get Toronto to eat 900k for the year

carter + Smith is 8.125 mil out. You can find the extra 2 million.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
marner makes 10.9

get Toronto to eat 900k for the year

carter + Smith is 8.125 mil out. You can find the extra 2 million.
Believe the Pens currently have around $12 million next season. If you move Smith, they'd have $17 million. Would still have $7 million after getting Marner at $10 before accounting for any contracts going the other way.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
With the position that Toronto is in, they'll want to do a Huberdeau + Weegar for Tkachuk type trade imo. Doesn't make any sense for them to want futures. Maybe something like Rust + Pettersson ?

Reactions: Jacob

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
With the position that Toronto is in, they'll want to do a Huberdeau + Weegar for Tkachuk type trade imo. Doesn't make any sense for them to want futures. Maybe something like Rust + Pettersson ?

Tkachuk was a sign and trade. No way they get anything close for Marner.

Give me a marner signed at 9 for 8 years sure :)

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Yeah, I could see Toronto doing Marner for Pettersson and Rust. Fits with them getting a top six winger, improving their defense, and adding a "winner". Doubt Rust would do it. Also, we are adding a pick likely.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Yeah, I could see Toronto doing Marner for Pettersson and Rust. Fits with them getting a top six winger, improving their defense, and adding a "winner". Doubt Rust would do it. Also, we are adding a pick likely.

thats bad for the pens unless marner is signed. not saying marner doesnt deserve that but the pens get worse. unless they move a lot of other parts

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Rust isn't waiving his NMC for Toronto. Like I said, Dubas wants to add size, get younger and improve the bottom 6.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
thats bad for the pens unless marner is signed. not saying marner doesnt deserve that but the pens get worse. unless they move a lot of other parts

Why do we get worse exactly?

Why is Marner available? Or PLD? And why would the Pens want either?

Why would the Penguins want a 90 pt winger? I dunno why that is a question.

• Haha
Reactions: 66-30-33

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Why do we get worse exactly?

The defense looks awful on the left side.

Graves
POJ
Ludwig

They would get smoked. Petts might be the most important dman on this team right now.

I’d do the deal for sure but they would absolutely have to move him smith and or rakell while addressing the defense

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The defense looks awful on the left side.

Graves
POJ
Ludwig

They would get smoked. Petts might be the most important dman on this team right now.

I’d do the deal for sure but they would absolutely have to move him smith and or rakell while addressing the defense

Good thing one trade doesn’t mean we suddenly can’t make more or sign people.

Marcus Pettersson got lit up for months to finish the season. The amount of rope people give him is so silly.

Last edited:

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Want to get nit-picky, then ok.

The Laffs had a 70-goal scorer, a 40-goal scorer, a 30-goal scorer, and a 25-goal scorer. The Pens had a 40-goal-scorer, a 30-goal scorer, and a 25-goal scorer. Marner is pass-first. Who EXACTLY is he setting up for all these apples here? At the absolute best, Marner breaks 70 points on this team. Nothing to sniff at, but I'm not sure that's worth $10.5M or whatever, when what this team really needs is finishing.

As for PLD, he may have just had a third franchise sour on him before the age of 26.

Although I'm not sure that's the case, because again, I can't find anything that says for certain that either are available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad