Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It would be hilarious to watch this team get a guy like Marner somehow who has an established rep for being able to do this and he went on to be awful here on the powerplay. Only for the team to conclude not that Todd Reirden and the coaching staff in general are failures but it's actually Evgeni Malkin's fault.

I guess that was kind of the case with EK. But evidently the narrative now is that he was NEVER actually good on the powerplay. Which... I guess my memory must actually be finally going. Because that's not how I remember EK on other teams.
Our coaching staff would put Marner on the left dot as the one-timer triggerman.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
And pass to who tho
Crosby just scored 42 goals. Rust is a 30-ish goal guy (pace since he's always hurt and missing games). Even Geno at his age can pot 25+ goals.

It's a pipedream so it's not really worth discussing, but what Marner does well is something this team could really, really use. A winger for either of Sid or Geno who can ... gasp ... create chances and drive a line's offense, not just be a complimentary 50 point winger.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Crosby just scored 42 goals. Rust is a 30-ish goal guy (pace since he's always hurt and missing games). Even Geno at his age can pot 25+ goals.

It's a pipedream so it's not really worth discussing, but what Marner does well is something this team could really, really use. A winger for either of Sid or Geno who can ... gasp ... create chances and drive a line's offense, not just be a complimentary 50 point winger.
I agree that the Pens could use a player like that...if they could also get more goalscoring from somewhere else.

The 3 players you mentioned will be 37, 38, and 32 when we start next season...and as you mentioned, the 32 year old is always hurt. Pro-rated goals don't win you games. Goal scoring takes a particularly hard hit at these ages too.

Given the overall passing tendencies of the core, we need someone who can put pucks in the net if we're allotting them 11 mil per.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Rakell probably does some better goal scoring with his injury rehabbed.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I agree that the Pens could use a player like that...if they could also get more goalscoring from somewhere else.

The 3 players you mentioned will be 37, 38, and 32 when we start next season...and as you mentioned, the 32 year old is always hurt. Pro-rated goals don't win you games. Goal scoring takes a particularly hard hit at these ages too.

Given the overall passing tendencies of the core, we need someone who can put pucks in the net if we're allotting them 11 mil per.
Yager’s pretty good at it…hope he’s ready lol

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
For Marner? No chance in hell. Treliving is a doofus but I don't think he's that dumb.

Full NMC on his last year - he'll pick if he even wants to waive this coming season.

The idea would be to entice Pettersson to sign long term there to shore up their defense which is blatantly a concern. Smith they would keep or flip. It might certainly take another piece but it's not as far off considering the circumstance. It only happens if they think they can build better w/o Marner or he doesn't want to stay so you have to consider that as 'fact' before even entertaining a Marner trade to begin with.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Marner's very good. Just don't think he makes sense for the Pens, nor do the Pens make sense for him if he were to leave Toronto.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
This is an interesting rumor I saw but I know it's crap because I don't think the pens held onto Björkqvist rights.

Pittsburgh sends to Columbus:
Reilly Smith
Kasper Björkqvist
Filip Hallander
2026 first-round pick

Columbus sends to Pittsburgh:
Patrik Laine

• Haha
Reactions: Lustaf

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This is an interesting rumor I saw but I know it's crap because I don't think the pens held onto Björkqvist rights.

Reilly Smith
Kasper Björkqvist
Filip Hallander
2026 first-round pick

Patrik Laine

I don't even know if I'd do Smith for Laine straight up, let alone adding the 1st :laugh:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Reilly Smith
Kasper Björkqvist
Filip Hallander
2026 first-round pick

Patrik Laine
Patrik Laine playing on a Mike Sullivan coached team.

What could possibly go wrong?

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens are in the add the kind of talent that has staying power. NO more Shero pieces for high picks. I do think Rakell if healthy and Bunting can be a really effective wings for Malkin. Now if DOC is LW with Sid, assuming he hits the weights and gets stronger he can do well there with Rust. Move Smith who simply isn't a fit for many reasons and man just add Stephenson for Sid and you have the makings of a playoff team if Jack ST Ivany can come along as 3rd RD. Graves has to come back with better play which he can. He has the pedigree here. Get draft lottery luck and get the center from Finland or the RD Yakimchuk.
Stephenson Sid Rust
Bunting Geno Rakell
DOC Eller FA
Poulin Ponomarev Acciari

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
We still own RFA rights to Bjorkvist, Hallander and Filip Lindberg (the goalie) to my knowledge. None are 27 years of yet, so all will remain Pens property until then.

The ONLY way we land a Marner is if somehow the Leafs deem Tristan Jarry as the answer to their goaltending issues. And even then, I doubt we are able to pull it off.

As for Laine, I like the player. His presence on the PP would definitely help. That said, his value is nowhere near a first-round pick I don't care what year we are talking about. He is a reclamation project at this point. Not unlike his countryman Puljujarvi.

I am not trading much more than Reilly Smith for him at this point.

Reactions: Darren McCord

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Smith straight up, sure. Hell I will give them the prospects as well. No to a first tho.

I'd he out of the PAP?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I have a crazy idea for sending Jarry to Edmonton for Campbell. They still eat some of Campbell’s salary (say like a million [20%]) and throw in Holloway and maybe another pick.

Campbell at $4 is reasonable. For us he wouldn’t need to bounce back to being a starter again, just a solid 1B to split with Nedeljkovic and, eventually, Blomqvist.

I’m a big fan of Holloway, I think he’s about where DOC was a couple seasons ago but has way more upside. A cost-controlled middle-6 winger makes up the extra money Campbell costs even if he stinks and we have to bury him.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Nah. He'd actually trade for Sprong, then package him Laine for Austin Czarnik.

Is Sprong’s hair just a global warming prediction of the polar ice caps

1714248847052.jpeg

1714248876897.jpeg

1714248913370.jpeg

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad