Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Let’s hope he’s as good next season when he fully imbibes the Sullivan way because right now he’s getting a ton of props lol

Bunting created a lot of traffic in front. Crazy that net front presence creates more goals, eh? But that's also who Bunting is. He's just going there. He doesn't need to be coached or told to go there. He just does. And really, he's the only one. Which is part of the problem.
The peanut-flavored farts I've been ripping in my jeans for the past 30 minutes would've been better than Granlund
What's funny is that we have a poster here who is leg-humping Hextall and demeaning Dubas. When it comes to Bunting, his comments have repeatedly been "I can't believe Dubas saw value in Bunting!" while completely ignoring the fact that his idols saw tremendous value in Granlund and were willing to pay handsomely for him.
What would be the point? We know exactly what would happen and it isn't even close to what you have, here.
I'm a dreamer. If everyone just thought like me, everything would be great.

That said, more realistically:

Jake-Sid-Rust
Bunt-Malkin-Rakell
DOC-Eller-FA/Sign

Would still be a really solid top 9. It would be better if they went with a new 3C and signed an offensive-minded 3RW (or just went with Puustinen)
How did any of this affect the team this year? All those contracts were moved out in one deal.

Yes that was my point.
Yeah, it was Dubas cleaning up the horrific roster Hextall saddled him with. It cost us a 2nd and a 1st and $1.5mil retained on Petry. Plus we lost an additional $3.2mil in much needed cap space because your boy thought Jeff Carter was going to be some timeless wonder. A full NMC for a Jeff f***ing Carter. JFC. We could have had an extra $5mil in space for a sorely needed depth scoring winger...but nope...we get the fecal remnants of Hexy instead.

Imagine having Petts-Letang, Matheson-Marino as the top 4 with an extra $5mil winger. AND having our 1st this year. You wanna know why it's a struggle at the moment? Ron. Hextall.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
It's super weird that shots taken CLOSER to the net have a higher probability of going in that shots taken FURTHER from the net.

I feel like I should work for NASA
I’m sure having someone screening the goalie helped as well. He really did bring a missing element to the team.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I’m sure having someone screening the goalie helped as well. He really did bring a missing element to the team.

For sure.

But uh... we all know he's gonna turn into a pumpkin next year, right? It's like a rule or something, here.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Bunting created a lot of traffic in front. Crazy that net front presence creates more goals, eh? But that's also who Bunting is. He's just going there. He doesn't need to be coached or told to go there. He just does. And really, he's the only one. Which is part of the problem.

What's funny is that we have a poster here who is leg-humping Hextall and demeaning Dubas. When it comes to Bunting, his comments have repeatedly been "I can't believe Dubas saw value in Bunting!" while completely ignoring the fact that his idols saw tremendous value in Granlund and were willing to pay handsomely for him.

I'm a dreamer. If everyone just thought like me, everything would be great.

That said, more realistically:

Jake-Sid-Rust
Bunt-Malkin-Rakell
DOC-Eller-FA/Sign

Would still be a really solid top 9. It would be better if they went with a new 3C and signed an offensive-minded 3RW (or just went with Puustinen)

Yeah, it was Dubas cleaning up the horrific roster Hextall saddled him with. It cost us a 2nd and a 1st and $1.5mil retained on Petry. Plus we lost an additional $3.2mil in much needed cap space because your boy thought Jeff Carter was going to be some timeless wonder. A full NMC for a Jeff f***ing Carter. JFC. We could have had an extra $5mil in space for a sorely needed depth scoring winger...but nope...we get the fecal remnants of Hexy instead.

Imagine having Petts-Letang, Matheson-Marino as the top 4 with an extra $5mil winger. AND having our 1st this year. You wanna know why it's a struggle at the moment? Ron. Hextall.

That top four sucks. Marino was literally one of the worst defensive defensemen this year.

We could have easily addressed the depth if we didn’t sign Jarry and Graves. Hextall had no effect on this roster. We had two 1sts. Dubas took Yager and traded the other.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So someone on another site said Puusty didn’t play enough games and so is now a group 6 UFA this summer…

Guess he’ll be signing elsewhere given the shit usage Sullivan gave him…no wonder Dubas failed to mention him lol

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
Dubas literally said in the presser today that he doesn't buy into expected goals, at least for the power play. It's all about execution for him.

So basically, he is a dumbass because I watched the first 60 games and our execution was dogshit.

Per game:
Defense was 50% no show.
PP was a 90% no show.
Offense was 50% no show.
Goal-tending was average at best.
Over time execution was piss poor.

If he's all about execution... then our staff should be gone. (but they won't be)

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
Oh, after these comments I want to say f** you Kyle.

I had little bit of faith in him. But now, wow. I think Pens will be pretty unwatchable again next season and will miss the playoffs..again.

Reactions: Andy99

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
So someone on another site said Puusty didn’t play enough games and so is now a group 6 UFA this summer…

Guess he’ll be signing elsewhere given the shit usage Sullivan gave him…no wonder Dubas failed to mention him lol
Honestly though, who is going to give him a better chance at the NHL than us? I can see a lot of these offering him the same as us but more than likely the "here's the AHL deal and we'll call you up if we need". Sadly, nearly every team has a Puustinen. At least our organization knows him and has established a certain level of trust with him. Unless they are offering more money, I don't think it's smart to go elsewhere.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

It was unlikely he wouldnt of not hit group 6 UFA. He would of had to play 79 games this year to stay RFA.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Honestly though, who is going to give him a better chance at the NHL than us? I can see a lot of these offering him the same as us but more than likely the "here's the AHL deal and we'll call you up if we need". Sadly, nearly every team has a Puustinen. At least our organization knows him and has established a certain level of trust with him. Unless they are offering more money, I don't think it's smart to go elsewhere.
I hope he gets re-signed…I thought he was pretty decent for his first season, certainly better than any young forward we’ve had for awhile…and I’d trust that more if Sullivan wasn’t back and if he hadn’t dicked him around for much of the season lol

Reactions: SEALBound

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Read this earlier this morning from DK site. Jake Guentzel just sold his house to Bryan Rust. Not something one would do if there were designs on some imminent return.
Also, some canes fans are saying Jake is shopping for a new home in the Raleigh.

I like Jake but I think things worked out best for all parties involved, here. At least with Mike Sullivan still in charge.

• Haha
Reactions: Rudy Russo

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
lol it's so pathetic that some are pining for Hextal because they're too ignorant to realize that the problem was Hex and Sully.

Christ, you losers living in a video game where you can re-vamp a roster in a summer are f***ing pathetic.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
I like Jake but I think things worked out best for all parties involved, here. At least with Mike Sullivan still in charge.
If they sign him to what is asking that means UFA's like Brady Skjei, Teuvo Teravainen, and Brett Pesce might wind up elsewhere.

The Pens should sign Pesce just so he'll stop scoring goals against them.

• Haha
Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Read this earlier this morning from DK site. Jake Guentzel just sold his house to Bryan Rust. Not something one would do if there were designs on some imminent return.
Also, some canes fans are saying Jake is shopping for a new home in the Raleigh.
I don't want him back after the way the rest of the season played out. I hate when duos get married forever and Sid will always have that annoying pull.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

He's a nothing burger so...

Sideline

May 23, 2004
If they sign him to what is asking that means UFA's like Brady Skjei, Teuvo Teravainen, and Brett Pesce might wind up elsewhere.

The Pens should sign Pesce just so he'll stop scoring goals against them.
I think the Penguins have too much money tied up on defense already unless they find a taken for Graves.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Also, some canes fans are saying Jake is shopping for a new home in Raleigh.
Works for me, we lost with him last year so glad to turn the page and pick up some good young assets in the process.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad