GDT: Penguins vs Blue Jackets, 11/14/23 @ 7:00

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Also Werenski took a step back tonight. I don't know what to do with him...

Taking Werenski off the PP is the easy step. That's a years long problem that Pascal needs to wake up to. Losing possession after possession to low percentage Werenski shots is killing our PP.

What was especially bad tonight was that Werenski was awful in his own end. I'd dial his minutes back until he gets back to form there.

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021
i’m arguing that goaltending is part of the issue. not as much of an issue as the defense/‘star’ players underperforming massively.. but it is an issue, in my eyes.

if my opinion is completely in the minority then so be it.

That's fair if you think that. The NHL league average save % was .904 last season and Elvis' is at .900 right now

Reactions: thebus88

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Y'all need to stop trying to blow up our top line. Marchenko scored and Voronkov blocked the empty netter.
I agree. But do you think Gaudreau will play with Sillinger and Bemstrom always? Either Patrik to Silly or Johnny to Adam and Kirill. Simply, destroy one of good lines.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I agree. But do you think Gaudreau will play with Sillinger and Bemstrom always? Either Patrik to Silly or Johnny to Adam and Kirill. Simply, destroy one of good lines.

Our 5v5 lines are good. Don't mess with them. Pascal just needs to roll them more evenly.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
They need to look at what guys are doing in the off-season.

Gaudreau clearly isn't in game shape.
Boqvist and Johnson didn't add the strength they were supposed to add.
Etc. Etc.

It can't be a country club where you do whatever you want between May and September. When it's not the season, you need to be focusing on getting ready for next season.

Cheddarcheese

Oct 24, 2023
They have good veterans. What does that have to do with us? Ours are playing poorly so this post means nothing
Lol 😂

They need to look at what guys are doing in the off-season.

Gaudreau clearly isn't in game shape.
Boqvist and Johnson didn't add the strength they were supposed to add.
Etc. Etc.

It can't be a country club where you do whatever you want between May and September. When it's not the season, you need to be focusing on getting ready for next season.
Babcock literally got fired for this….

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Lol 😂

Babcock literally got fired for this….
He got fired for looking at guys' phones. I'm not saying you look at their phones.

I'm saying during exit interviews you make it clear what they need to be doing and if they don't do that then they don't play next season.

Reactions: LJ7

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Chinakhov -- Jenner -- Laine played very good (although I think Laine is not still 100% health, I never as Patrik but I had problems 1 a 1/2 months after concussion). Chinny was very important. And he didn't played on the end.

Btw, maybe it is time to change Voronkov with Johnny. I prefer Dima with Adam and Kirill but Johnny with Silly and Bemmer...

Laine - Jenner - Chinakhov
Gaudreau - Fantilli - Marchenko
Voronkov - Sillinger - Bemström
Texier - Kuraly - Danforth

Severson is bad.
Totally agree on Severson. And was passing always this bad?

Last edited:

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
We are seeing the fruits of having one of the if not the youngest team in the NHL
They need to learn how to close out games and how to win
As young as they are they still aren’t good enough and that’s on Jarmo

He got fired for looking at guys' phones. I'm not saying you look at their phones.

I'm saying during exit interviews you make it clear what they need to be doing and if they don't do that then they don't play next season.
Maybe he looked at the phones on purpose when he realized the lack of talent on this team

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I guess but I don't think last year is relevant. He's played much better this season and I don't know why he's worth using energy on pretending he's a problem. Our top players aren't producing. That's a way bigger issue

Elvis is still as much of a problem as he’s always been.

Salary/Cap Hit wise he should be looked at as a “top player” and that’s before looking at him as the “starting goalie”.

He’s been “ok”. Good and bad, as he’s always been.

Reactions: Toe Pick

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Think this is going to be a tough problem to solve. We look loads better than last year, but we can’t finish games or hold leads. I’m willing to chalk it up to getting everything working together with a new coach, system and players, but not for much longer.

If we can get Laine and Gaudreau going, and the PP to even be somewhat mediocre, then we should be fine. How do we do those things though?

Reactions: LJ7

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
We are seeing the fruits of having one of the if not the youngest team in the NHL
They need to learn how to close out games and how to win
As young as they are they still aren’t good enough and that’s on Jarmo

Maybe he looked at the phones on purpose when he realized the lack of talent on this team

i’m getting so tired of hearing this though. yeah, we’re one of the youngest teams in the league but we have been for like… 4 (5?) straight years now.

something has to give.

Reactions: Fred Glover

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
i’m getting so tired of hearing this though. yeah, we’re one of the youngest teams in the league but we have been for like… 4 (5?) straight years now.

something has to give.
What needs to "give" is guys need to produce and then sign long deals after their ELC's / bridge deals.

Reactions: Fred Glover

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Well, our head coach was a staff member of one of the worst teams in the NHL the past two years, we have Assistant Coach A who has proven basically nothing as a coach (but he was a Hall of Famer on great teams! Well, Gretzky sucked as a coach too) and who was fired by his last squad and they showed instant remarkable improvement, and Assistant Coach B (4th line plug on teams that sucked) who had about the exact opposite playing career of Assistant Coach A but likewise has proven nothing as a coach except he likes Columbus so that makes him qualified to be behind an NHL bench I guess.
Also, random, but was looking up Assistant Coach C (McCarthy) and he actually played in Nationwide Arena on Oct. 7, 2000. Had no idea, go figure. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad