GDT: Penguins visit the Canes - 7PM

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
For someone who couldnt watch tonight, what were the d pairings and how did they look? I thought i saw Cole-Letang were going to be together, intrigued to see how they looked.

Cole-Letang played well together. They were on for one goal against and had the best shot differentials and lowest shots against out of the d pairs.

Dumoulin-Clendening looked good in transition & in the OZ. Dumoulin bit on a head fake for the first goal & Clendening had some issues on the boards. The pair got hemmed in their own end for an extended shift. They had the highest shots against out of the d pairs, but also had better shot differentials than Maatta-Scuderi.

Scuderi-Maatta lost the shot differential battle but weren't on for a goal against. Scuderi shouldn't handle the puck & struggled connecting on passes, getting the puck out of the zone, etc. However, he didn't get burned on as many missed coverage or lost players as I expected. It was his best game. Maatta looked good in the OZ

Dumoulin had the fewest minutes, followed by Scuderi then Clendening. However at EV Maatta, Clendening, Scuderi, & Dumoulin all played around 15 min with special teams making up the difference TOI.

EDITED: Scuderi-Maatta from Maatta-Scuderi to prevent confusion.

EDITED#2: Maybe what I remember isn't what actually happened. Not sure if Scuderi or Maatta spent more time on the right.

Last edited:

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Cole-Letang played well together. They were on for one goal against and had the best shot differentials and lowest shots against out of the d pairs.

Dumoulin-Clendening looked good in transition & in the OZ. Dumoulin bit on a head fake for the first goal & Clendening had some issues on the boards. The pair got hemmed in their own end for an extended shift. They had the highest shots against out of the d pairs, but also had better shot differentials than Maatta-Scuderi.

Maatta-Scuderi lost the shot differential battle but weren't on for a goal against. Scuderi shouldn't handle the puck & struggled connecting on passes, getting the puck out of the zone, etc. However, he didn't get burned on as many missed coverage or lost players as I expected. It was his best game. Maatta looked good in the OZ

Dumoulin had the fewest minutes, followed by Scuderi then Clendening. However at EV Maatta, Clendening, Scuderi, & Dumoulin all played around 15 min with special teams making up the difference TOI.

Thanks for this doc, did Scuds really play the right side?

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Yeah Sprong looks ready. And hes not playing a position nearly as difficult as Maatta's.

I hope they see him as a top 9 guy if they keep him. He could help the top 6 once Plot or Kunitz struggle.

Can Sprong play the LW like Bennett plays the LW or like an actual LW?

Asking a really young player to play on an unfamiliar wing in the NHL with Crosby & Malkin seems a bit overwhelming at this point.

The only coverage we know can play LW is Dupuis and Perron.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Thanks for this doc, did Scuds really play the right side?

No, sorry about that, Maatta played the right side.

It was probably the best I've seen Maatta play on the right.

EDIT:
OK Agent00 says Maatta played left, so I am not sure.

I know Scuderi started the breakout and was making passes from the left at times, and Maatta had puck retrievals & coverage down low on the right at times. So either they switched it around, or the only moments I distinctly remember were not representative of the whole game.

Last edited:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Can Sprong play the LW like Bennett plays the LW or like an actual LW?

Asking a really young player to play on an unfamiliar wing in the NHL with Crosby & Malkin seems a bit overwhelming at this point.

The only coverage we know can play LW is Dupuis and Perron.

We'll find out.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Scuderi played the right?

Maybe I am confusing a few plays with the greater whole of the game?

In which case, sorry for confusing people.

Well the official lineup has Maatta on the left, and I remember seeing Maatta on the left for most of the game. *shrugs*

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013

Well the official lineup has Maatta on the left, and I remember seeing Maatta on the left for most of the game. *shrugs*

Well, now I have no idea so I guess I'll find out if they play together again.

Thanks for the correction.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Scuderi-Maatta lost the shot differential battle but weren't on for a goal against. Scuderi shouldn't handle the puck & struggled connecting on passes, getting the puck out of the zone, etc. However, he didn't get burned on as many missed coverage or lost players as I expected. It was his best game. Maatta looked good in the OZ

EDITED: Scuderi-Maatta from Maatta-Scuderi to prevent confusion.

EDITED#2: Maybe what I remember isn't what actually happened. Not sure if Scuderi or Maatta spent more time on the right.

What happened there is for some reason they got trapped on their wrong sides. Dumoulin is less than great at right D as has been mentioned before.

Edit: I think you might be remembering the penalty kill, where Scuderi did play the left (I think?). I do not recall if he was with Maatta, though.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
What happened there is for some reason they got trapped on their wrong sides. Dumoulin is less than great at right D as has been mentioned before.

Edit: I think you might be remembering the penalty kill, where Scuderi did play the left (I think?). I do not recall if he was with Maatta, though.

Could be. Other than being surprised that Scuderi's speed wasn't an issue and being unsurprised at Scuderi repeatedly putting the puck in Dupuis's skates, it was just a passing oh Scuderi's on the left or oh Maatta's on the right. It could have been on the PK or when they were switching on a puck retrieval or behind the net following a player.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Perron - Crosby - Kessel
Plotnikov - Malkin - Hornqvist
Bennett - Bonino - Sprong
Kunitz - Cullen - Dupuis

Give Sprong his nine until Fehr comes back. Then reevaluate.

I have zero idea for the defense. No matter who pairs with whom, there are three, maybe four NHL-caliber defensemen on this team. Everyone else belongs in the AHL.

And if Zatkoff is the backup, Fleury's going to have to work a load heavier than Marty Brodeur in his prime.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Perron - Crosby - Kessel
Kunitz - Cullen - Dupuis

I have zero idea for the defense. No matter who pairs with whom, there are three, maybe four NHL-caliber defensemen on this team. Everyone else belongs in the AHL.

And if Zatkoff is the backup, Fleury's going to have to work a load heavier than Marty Brodeur in his prime.

We're in the same boat. That forward corps right there is what I want to see, and what I think would easily be the most effective. When Fehr comes back, just move Cullen to the 13th forward and put Fehr in as 4C.

As for the defense, who knows? If Maatta and Letang aren't otherworldly all season, it doesn't really matter whom plays with whom. The blueline is gonna be agonizing to watch all year.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Perron - Crosby - Kessel
Kunitz - Cullen - Dupuis

I don't know if I am seriously advocating this but:

Kunitz-Crosby-Kessel
Plotnikov-Malkin-Hornqvist
Dupuis-Bonino-Sprong
Perron-Cullen-Bennett

would give the Pens the best 4th line in the league probably.

On defense, have we really seen Maatta-Lovejoy or Dumoulin-Lovejoy or Cole-Lovejoy?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I don't know if I am seriously advocating this but:

Kunitz-Crosby-Kessel
Plotnikov-Malkin-Hornqvist
Dupuis-Bonino-Sprong
Perron-Cullen-Bennett

would give the Pens the best 4th line in the league probably.

On defense, have we really seen Maatta-Lovejoy or Dumoulin-Lovejoy or Cole-Lovejoy?

When Fehr comes back:

Dupuis-Bonino-Sprong
Perron-Fehr-Bennett

Damn...I might actually be okay with that...after I'm done puking from Kunitz being in the top 6.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
No problem.

And I certainly don't hope they play together again. Scuderi needs to away.
I think playing Scuderi on the right is a sign we'll get a Maatta - Lovejoy pairing. That isn't great, but it's likely better than Maatta - Scuderi.

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
I have a feeling it's gonna be

Cole-Letang
Maatta-Clendening
Dumoulin-Lovejoy

To start the season until we trade for someone to take Clendening's spot (Hamhuis fingers crossed).

Hamhuis-Letang
Maatta-Cole
Dumo-Lovejoy

Maybe at the deadline you deal one of our 2nd rounders or something for a Polak to displace Lovejoy?

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
The only good thing that could possibly come out of a Maatta-Scuderi pairing is that Olli will be cheaper to re-sign.

I'm not too worried about Scuderi ruining him mentally, because like Despres, the kid is pretty smart hockey-wise. I am concerned that Scuderi will play a big part in ruining Maatta physically though. Olli doesn't have the frame that Despres has, and I remember Scuderi putting 47 into really bad spots when they were together. OF course Despres was big enough that a lot of guys sort of bounced off of him.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
is there a reason bennett didn't play tonight? or just had to make sure he doesn't end up leading the team in goals for the preseason

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
is there a reason bennett didn't play tonight? or just had to make sure he doesn't end up leading the team in goals for the preseason

Believe he played his mandatory 4 games that the coaches wanted all the roster players to play in the preseason. Didn't want any playing more than 4.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Think they wanted to get Farnham some game action after missing so much time. Though you can always go with the to easy, one less game for Bennett to get hurt joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad