Confirmed with Link: Penguins Sign Tom Sestito to PTO

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
Yeah, that was Staal. Dubinsky's teams have never won a playoff series against the Pens.

Yeah, you are right. As I think about the players and teams specifically, Dubinsky's CBJ team obviously lost to the Pens, though Dubinsky worked Sid over pretty bad, repeatedly, in that series. The Rags must have taken note, as Staal took it to the next level with his cross-checks to the back of Sid's head -- with the Rags obviously, ultimately, winning that series.

Here's one of them... :shakehead

cropped_crosby.gif

Even Kerry Fraser agrees that this simply cannot be allowed...

http://www2.tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=451684

Maybe we need my personal most hated ref ever, Kerry Fraser, taking over for Campbell?! LOL.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah, you are right. As I think about the players and teams specifically, Dubinsky's CBJ team obviously lost to the Pens, though Dubinsky worked Sid over pretty bad, repeatedly, in that series. The Rags must have taken note, as Staal took it to the next level with his cross-checks to the back of Sid's head -- with the Rags obviously, ultimately, winning that series.

cropped_crosby.gif

that **** is a joke. Any other pro league and he's at least getting a call from the discipline people.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
that **** is a joke. Any other pro league and he's at least getting a call from the discipline people.

Yep. Fraser was markedly less kind in his comments. Said it was at least five and a game, if not "intent to injure," and a match penalty...

Say the on-ice officials missed it. Inexcusable, but fine...but HOW doesn't the league then, reviewing the play afterward, suspend him for at least a few games? The fact that the league (obviously) took a look, but chose NOT to do ANYTHING? That, to me, is the worst part, and is what proves that it's a league issue. This is a league problem, and fixing this problem would make this whole "enforcer or no enforcer" argument essentially moot.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I don't know if there's a deterrent factor, but I think there's a definite mental edge to be gained by playing a physical style and initiating rather than retaliating.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't know if there's a deterrent factor, but I think there's a definite mental edge to be gained by playing a physical style and initiating rather than retaliating.

just like there's a mental edge to skating circles around a team or making pretty plays around a team. There's a definite mental edge to being more effective than the other team, regardless of how you do it.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
just like there's a mental edge to skating circles around a team or making pretty plays around a team. There's a definite mental edge to being more effective than the other team, regardless of how you do it.

Right, but I'm saying there's no "correct" way to build a team.

I feel like a lot of people have an either or mentality, like the only choices are to play nothing but undersized skill guys in the bottom six or have your entire 4th line be worthless plugs that bring "grit."

I'd like to see the Pens have more of a mix, but that's a long term thing that starts with drafting.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon

cropped_crosby.gif

Even Kerry Fraser agrees that this simply cannot be allowed...

http://www2.tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=451684

Maybe we need my personal most hated ref ever, Kerry Fraser, taking over for Campbell?! LOL.

so I get that the refs might miss it. but the league watched it after and was ok with it. the only explanation would be that they wanted to help the Rags. it lacks logic...

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Right, but I'm saying there's no "correct" way to build a team.

I feel like a lot of people have an either or mentality, like the only choices are to play nothing but undersized skill guys in the bottom six or have your entire 4th line be worthless plugs that bring "grit."

I'd like to see the Pens have more of a mix, but that's a long term thing that starts with drafting.

I'd say a bottom 6 with a combination of Kunitz, Bennett, Dupuis, Bonino, Cullen, Fehr, Plotnikov and possibly Sundqvist has a damn good mix of player types.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
so I get that the refs might miss it. but the league watched it after and was ok with it. the only explanation would be that they wanted to help the Rags. it lacks logic...

no, the league encouraging good ol' fashion hockey is the real explanation.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

They don't take player safety that seriously and it was the playoffs. Crosby didn't get injured so they don't care.

It's an incredibly self destructive league that is killing the entertainment and that is going to have this come to a head in some catastrophe.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Pretty sure that was one of two cross checks to Sid's head in the same sequence, though the other was kind of to the ear and not as vicious.

Worse yet is that Staal is like a huge ****ing ***** that got played like bongo drums by Semin once, and even he has the balls to target the head of a star player with impunity, from either the Penguins or from the league. There's something wrong with that. He still hasn't paid.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I doubt this guy gets anything but a 2-way contract and starts in WBS. If he's even that lucky.

Last edited:

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
We'll need him around to deal with Rinaldo, never forget! Sure, he's with Bruins, but we'll need an enforcer in the wings when you have the firepower we have moving forward.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
We'll need him around to deal with Rinaldo, never forget! Sure, he's with Bruins, but we'll need an enforcer in the wings when you have the firepower we have moving forward.

Rinaldo might not be as much of a tool with the Bruins. People seem to forget that when playing on the Flyers, players that are borderline idiots, are full blown idiots taking on the Flyers persona.

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
Rinaldo might not be as much of a tool with the Bruins. People seem to forget that when playing on the Flyers, players that are borderline idiots, are full blown idiots taking on the Flyers persona.

Watching Rinaldo develop under Hunter, you're probably right. Another OHL fail.

The thing is, Sestito has Utica Italian style, sometimes it haunts people.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad