Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Ryan Graves: 6 years, $4.5m AAV

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Graves is just what he should been expected to be all along -- given Sully's utilization of him.

Like Dumoulin, Graves shoots lefthanded.
Like Dumoulin, Graves has good size -- VERY good size by Penguin-smurf standards.
Like Dumoulin, Graves doesn't use that size to his advantage whatsoever.

UNLIKE Dumoulin, Graves is not (and never has been) the "defensive" half of a successful pairing. He's always been the offensive half, such as it is, though his numbers don't exactly resemble prime Karlsson or Letang because Graves in his entire career NEVER has played on the PP and 100% of whatever points he puts on the board comes at even strength only.

Graves needs a coach who isn't an idiot and a RH partner who plays the stay-at-home role. He's had that elsewhere; he's never had that here unless you count a few games with (ugh) Chad Ruhwedel when Sully went insane and thought that AHL-level scrub POJ suddenly deserved top-4 minutes playing alongside Letang (which is right about the precise time Letang went off the rails and began playing like shit).

As I've said several times, if Doobie or Sully or both EVER thought that Graves was going to be Dumoulin-in-his-prime 2.0 then they are absolute morons. But we already knew that. They brought him in apparently without any clue as to what it takes for him to succeed. As if that's a first for this organization.

the penitent

Feb 20, 2023
Graves and a 3rd for Marino, call it even. (I am aware Marino has sucked this year)
I'll readily admit I thought Graves was a great signing at the time. Even when he sucked for the first part of the season, I harkened back to Sergei Gonchar and how terrible he was when he first came here, and how much he improved as time went on. However, I'm really doubting whether Graves is ever going to improve, even with a coaching change (which isn't happening anyway). He needs a particular of type of defensive partner, and I'm sure it's not Karlsson, Letang or Joseph. Maybe Petterson, but then that puts Graves on your top pairing, and I don't think he'll ever be able to handle it. Point being, the defensive partner he needs is not on the team, and likely won't ever be

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I'll readily admit I thought Graves was a great signing at the time. Even when he sucked for the first part of the season, I harkened back to Sergei Gonchar and how terrible he was when he first came here, and how much he improved as time went on. However, I'm really doubting whether Graves is ever going to improve, even with a coaching change (which isn't happening anyway). He needs a particular of type of defensive partner, and I'm sure it's not Karlsson, Letang or Joseph. Maybe Petterson, but then that puts Graves on your top pairing, and I don't think he'll ever be able to handle it. Point being, the defensive partner he needs is not on the team, and likely won't ever be
Yea, they clearly thought they could morph him into a defensive dman, and he just isn't that. He's not smart enough. I initially didn't want him, but then sort of warmed up on the idea, but obviously it's been a terrible fit. I really just want to see what this team would be with different coaches but for some reason we had to waste an entire year before potentially seeing that.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
So uh... His numbers were only ever ok, right? What's the idea behind a six year deal for a non established stud?
It's the Penguins way. We seem to love locking up mediocre players to these retirement deals for some reason.

Never been a fan of that. Only players you sign long term (ie. 4 or more years) are the elite guys. Anyone else is 3 or less (2 or less).

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Love the pun!

But I've seen pee wee player with better on ice awareness than Graves. He is absolutely brutal
I would take last year's version of Dumo over this piece of trash
Yup I thought that he would be an improvement over the past couple of seasons we had with Dumo. He's been worst which is saying a lot.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
He's best suited as an overpaid 3rd liner with a defensively responsible partner, Meaning we're in the market for a defensive 2LD, again. I don't see us being able to deal a 6 year contract that already looks rotten.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad