Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Noel Acciari: 3 years, $2m AAV

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
I year too many BUT considering how crazy some contracts have been I'm not too disappointed

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
1688286562937.png

@HandshakeLine @3ladesof5teel

You guys wanted more physicality. He was tops in the playoffs in hits among non-finalists, by a landslide.
Since he can actually do more than just hit, I'll welcome that edge to his game.

It's the effective type of physicality. 17 penalties drawn. 9 taken.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
View attachment 725260

@HandshakeLine @3ladesof5teel

You guys wanted more physicality. He was tops in the playoffs in hits among non-finalists, by a landslide.
Since he can actually do more than just hit, I'll welcome that edge to his game.
I don't mind Acciari, I'm on the record as a fan of agitators and hitters. I just think it's pricey for what he brings and how we're going to use him, but I'm okay with it.

I'm probably the most excited about this signing, as low stakes as it is, out of the rest of the UFA signings yesterday.

This is probably what the Tanev contract should have looked like, tbh.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I don't mind Acciari, I'm on the record as a fan of agitators and hitters. I just think it's pricey for what he brings and how we're going to use him, but I'm okay with it.

I'm probably the most excited about this signing, as low stakes as it is, out of the rest of the UFA signings yesterday.

77 percentile ES defense last year. Averages like 25 PIMs a year. 12 goals per 82 games, so he might pop in 10 for us. He's used to heavy defensive usage too.
If his line can hold the fort, and he can improve our special teams differential, I don't mind him at 2 mil.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
77 percentile ES defense last year. Averages like 25 PIMs a year. 12 goals per 82 games, so he might pop in 10 for us. He's used to heavy defensive usage too.
If his line can hold the fort, and he can improve our special teams differential, I don't mind him at 2 mil.
I'm not worried about him per se. I'm worried about how Sullivan will use him. :laugh:

I guarantee you his hitting drops this season though.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Exactly. I don't know how much the league is scared of an undersized costly shit stirrer. This is a 100% Dubas carry over from Toronto.

Agree about the Tanev contract which makes this one should have been like 1.2/1.5 considering the term he got.

Don't hate the player, hate the high cost put to 4th liners and how easy they are given it.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
People still think hits are a good stat? All that says to me is he never has the puck.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Exactly. I don't know how much the league is scared of an undersized costly shit stirrer. This is a 100% Dubas carry over from Toronto.

Agree about the Tanev contract which makes this one should have been like 1.2/1.5 considering the term he got.

Don't hate the player, hate the high cost put to 4th liners and how easy they are given it.
I also guarantee you he'll start to hit less as the season goes on, which makes the acquisition a little weird because he doesn't really do anything else. It happens to every physical player we bring in with Sully.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I also guarantee you he'll start to hit less as the season goes on, which makes the acquisition a little weird because he doesn't really do anything else. It happens to every physical player we bring in with Sully.
I would have liked Hathaway if they were gonna go that route. He was a difference of .375 with the same hits ratio as a positive player and had size that matters. Still costly for my liking, but I would still been more okay with it. He actually makes it harder to play against.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think they got him also because he’s a righty that wins draws. I don’t really care if his hit totals decrease in the regular season. A playoff series is where hit volume and impact matters the most. And, let’s be honest, it’s less about “wearing teams down” (because throwing a check expends about as much energy as absorbing one) and more about legally hurting/injuring to the point where lines have to get shuffled and lesser players are asked to play more and tougher minutes. And Acciari can hit to hurt.

Sullivan doesn’t like forwards going out of their way to hit, which is partly why Reaves was quite neutered here.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad