Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We suck again summer edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I’ll bet anyone that Granlund is on the opening night lineup.
I mean he's playable so it wouldn't shock me.

Shit contract and bad fit but it's not like he's a total waste of a roster slot. If they decide to keep him they'll probably get something out of him. He's not Jack Johnson level bad.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
It would be disappointing and unacceptable if the team is largely the same. Our top six was mostly healthy and productive, but we still couldn’t make the playoffs.
I think the decision to buy Granlund out or not will tell us a lot.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Even if the top 6 players from last year are back it doesn't mean the roster will be constructed the same.

Players can absolutely be moved up and down the lineup which in case I hope happens as it means our bottom 6 will be better and would likely have more depth.

Some are complaing about having the same roster as last year. I am sure Boston would love to have the same roster as last season. They lost too. It's hockey anything can happen.

This team even if carrying many of the same players from last season will be different. A new bottom 6, likely a new top 6 player, a new top 4 defenseman, new goaltending.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I agree. A lot of people on this site claim Granlund doesn’t have negative value, and we could dump him for a late round pick. I think he’d be gone if that was true.
I see people on this site suggest we should give up a first round pick to get rid of Granlund, that's just the most idiotic thing I've seen on this site in quite some time. I mean some of you need to get a f****** grip! Not saying you're suggesting that, but that just a justifies logic. But this situation isn't as dire as some suggest. I trust KD will remedy the matter in due time.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Even if the top 6 players from last year are back it doesn't mean the roster will be constructed the same.

Players can absolutely be moved up and down the lineup which in case I hope happens as it means our bottom 6 will be better and would likely have more depth.
Mike Sullivan says I don’t think so.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Dubas made a point to mention getting younger in his presser. He won't bring back Zucker, and I'd imagine he'll do all he can to move one of Granlund or Rust, likely Granlund if just due to the many difficulties in moving Rust. If you could get Bunting for anything in the same stratosphere as the cost of Zucker, then you'd be crazy not to do that anyways.

I don't have nearly as much issue with Granlund here if Rust is not though, they play the same position, and need the same type of deployment. And then there's no temptation to be playing Rust on the 1st PP over Rakell.

Reactions: Andy99

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
I am going to wait and see before deciding to shit myself in rage, but this team needs an identity and it's hard to think of a good one Granlund fits.
If we accept the idea that Granlund is a good passer and good with the puck along the boards, then maybe an identity based on puck possession?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Dubas made a point to mention getting younger in his presser. He won't bring back Zucker, and I'd imagine he'll do all he can to move one of Granlund or Rust, likely Granlund if just due to the many difficulties in moving Rust. If you could get Bunting for anything in the same stratosphere as the cost of Zucker, then you'd be crazy not to do that anyways.

I don't have nearly as much issue with Granlund here if Rust is not though, they play the same position, and need the same type of deployment. And then there's no temptation to be playing Rust on the 1st PP over Rakell.
Let me be abundantly clear, and I'm guessing a few regulars here know this, But I don't have much hope for this team in competing this coming season .so whether they keep Granlund or not doesn't really matter much to me. But I am curious to see what KD does do. I don't think Granlund is the cause of all our woes. Is he overpriced for what he brings? Absolutely! Is he the great evil that plagues this organization? Absolutely not! I don't think there's any move or any series of moves that's going to transform this team into any sort of legitimate contender. Now if KD does do that then that would be a minor miracle and I will admit that I was wrong. But I just don't think that's going to happen. This core is old and as years go on it's just going to get worse. There's no core in the modern era of the National Hockey League this old that has won a cup. My focus is to see what we do with first round draft picks, how we stockpile and develop prospects and if we go for younger more speedy free agents.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Regarding Dubas & current contracts & NMCs/NTCs:

He should be touching base with all players*/agents asking if said player would waive their NMC. And to what team. And regardless, I believe the NTC lists are due July 1st.

*Sid, Geno, Letang excluded

I’ll bet anyone that Granlund is on the opening night lineup.

I don't think he will be. How's $5 or $10 donated to a charity sound?

So was the post that you said that you were leaving the board if the Pens resigned Letang. Then denying you said it.

When I found it you blocked me so there's that :D

And who was that?

Reactions: HandshakeLine

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
That doesn't excuse the way this team performed in the previous few playoffs. They don't get a pass, there is no quarter given they failed us miserably! And they lost to teams who were decided underdogs in each occasion. You can't blame that on sweet Ronnie now can you?

The biggest villains if we're going to be honest about it are the coach who never adjusted, the goaltending which against the Islanders that one year was historically abysmal, and yes your precious core! Those are the reasons we have failed, you need to accept it! It's no more complicated than that.
we out played, out chanced, out possessed and in most metrics dominated the other team in a fashion similar to previous cup runs. but we lost because our goal tending was catastrophically bad.
We didn't make the playoffs because "incredibly injured" but still be trotted out Jarry couldn't do better then 4 goals on 7 shots against montreal, couldn't possibly stop the puck against a chi-town team that was not wanting to win really. The decision to stick with the same goal tending duo that failed 3x in a row is squarely on Ron <Flyer Sleeper Agent> Hextall. He even doubled down this last season when it was obvious our goal tending was our achilles heel and stuck by his duo.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I mean he's playable so it wouldn't shock me.

Shit contract and bad fit but it's not like he's a total waste of a roster slot. If they decide to keep him they'll probably get something out of him. He's not Jack Johnson level bad.
He was definitely a waste for 21 games here. Brought less than Archibald.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

I mostly agree with you here, but to the bolded, let's remember... Burke and Hextall talked about long pants hockey when they first got here. I like the Dubas hiring, but actions will speak louder than words.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Watch Suter get bought out again and the Pens sign him. :laugh:

edit: The Athletic has an article on buyout candidates and lists Mitch Miller as one. How in the world does that make any sense for Boston??

mephisto1812

Mar 28, 2013
I would still explore moving him, publicly. He needs to be knocked down a peg.

But I agree. The Rust hate is overkill. Zucker-Malkin-Rust would be a better than fine L2 next year.

Let's also be honest - the Malkin persecution complex, that his wingers suck, is fueling a lot of the Rust hate.
I wouldn't do it publicly, but I'd sure do it privately.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
And who was that?
A poster that I guess you can't see their post was telling @AjaxTelamon his post was "stupid".

Just find it funny guy trashes others post with "holy hell your post is stupid" yet said he was leaving if the Pens resigned Letang because he "sucks"

Watch Suter get bought out again and the Pens sign him. :laugh:

edit: The Athletic has an article on buyout candidates and lists Mitch Miller as one. How in the world does that make any sense for Boston??
Dumos replacement :D

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

Rust and Granlund are not the same player and actually need opposite deployment. So hard disagree.

Granlund should be in the top 6 on the PP
Rust ideally would be on third line and on the Pk.

Just because sullivan is an idiot and practical swaps them doesn't mean they are the same. I would much prefer we keep rust over Granlund. And then try for other top 6 options to replace Zucker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad