Penguins Rookies

Status
Not open for further replies.

young lion

Crosby isn't the only rookie on the penguins roster, and ever since the coaching change they have all picked their play up....especially tonight in Montreal with all six of the penguins goals coming from rookies (crosby 2, ouelett 2, Talbot, Endicott.)

In addition Erik Christiensen and Ryan Whitney have been playing well of late and Armstong and Murley have been putting in lots of effort lately.

Although they are not rookies, MAF and Surovy have been on fire lately too.

Malone cooled off from his hot rookie year last year, and Orpik has been injured.

Add Malkin, and this is a very dangerous team for the future. Watch for Penguins rookies to start dominating the rookie charts (although most have played far less games then other team's rookies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Fleury is a rookie, actually.

21 games on his resume means he is still a rookie.

9 rookies on the roster including 7 who have made their debut this year.

Without them we have about 3 points this season. Kinda sad Michel Ouellet almost has as many goals as Ziggy Palffy has this season...over the past week...hell, Ouellet is more like John LeClair than John LeClair is.

The future is definitely bright.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Never thought Ouellet would be doing this well.

People like to accuse this team of being the new Rangers, which might've been accurate early in the season, but there have been 15 rookies/sophomores on this roster over the course of the year, including the top scorer, two of their top defensemen, the top PK unit, and the starting goaltender.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
tom_servo said:
Never thought Ouellet would be doing this well.

People like to accuse this team of being the new Rangers, which might've been accurate early in the season, but there have been 15 rookies/sophomores on this roster over the course of the year, including the top scorer, two of their top defensemen, the top PK unit, and the starting goaltender.

That was a silly comparison from the get go on so many levels. This team was assembled in my opinion more to create a buzz with the staduim issue outstanding. Deep down I do not think that the Pens thought this was a cup team, but one who could be fun and hold the fort until the young guys made it up. The payroll was only $31 million too so hardly buying up old stars sort of thing. The biggest difference is that we did not leave the proverbial cupboard bare in assembling that team. The success of the young guys this early is surprising perhaps, but was hardly unexpected. We did not get that HF #1 rating for nothing. We still have holes to fill and these kids including Crosby remain that, kids. But the potential for some very special things is obviously there.

Pens75

Pens Fan Since 1975
Jul 30, 2005
Duquesne Gardens
The roster is full of young talent...

87 Sidney Crosby - 18
14 Shane Endicott - 20
25 Maxime Talbot - 21
29 Marc-Andre Fleury - 21
19 Ryan Whitney - 22
16 Erik Christensen - 22
20 Colby Armstrong - 23
59 Michel Ouellet - 23
43 Thomas Surovy - 24
28 Matt Hussey - 25
17 Matt Murley - 25
44 Brooks Orpik - 25

As far as their play of late...

Since the coaching staff was replaced, the Pens have been in EVERY game.

3-2-3 (9 points in 8 games)

The 2 regulation losses were both one goal games.

30 Goals For & 28 Goals Against.

Penalty Kill has been good, Power Play around 25% - 30% conversion rate.

What the numbers don't show is the work ethic playing hard for 60 minutes.

Therrien's Team is much harder to play against than the Previous Penguins.

Last edited:

timmy12

Jun 25, 2005
I can't figure out Ouellet. He isn't a great skater, doesn't have great moves, doesn't have a great shot, but "all he does is score goals"..... Maybe he will become the Cris Carter of the NHL :sarcasm: .

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
timmy12 said:
I can't figure out Ouellet. He isn't a great skater, doesn't have great moves, doesn't have a great shot, but "all he does is score goals"..... Maybe he will become the Cris Carter of the NHL :sarcasm: .

Ouellet is a Therrien guy. Sticks like glue to Therrien's system and knows it well. He is the Cog who positions himself on the doorstep and takes the goals given. If he has a special 'skill' it ius being extremely good at positioning himself to score, albeit within that particular system. In that role obviously he can put up some very nice numbers. I am not sure that he could do so on another team or even on this team absent his place in that particular system.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
timmy12 said:
Ouellet has always been a scorer with skating problems. The thing is that his hands and sense are acually very good. IMO he's always scored NHL goals. I've always thought that he was a little like Michel Goulet as far as style and an on ice look. The best thing about him is that he wants it. He's worked hard to get better year after year and has cleaned up some flaws. His skating still isn't the greatest but he stays active and has a good sense of positioning offseting some of his flaws. Plus he has really picked up his two way play. I've long been dreaming about Malkin controling the endboards and passing to Ouellet in front of the net.

Steve Latin*

I remember reading a quote from a player saying something to the effect that there's not a huge difference in the quality of NHL teams and AHL teams. I never believed the quote until now.

The Baby Pens were dominant in the AHL this year, and now those guys are getting a chance to play in Pittsburgh since the Pens vets have sucked it up all season. The team now is basically the old WBS Penguins + Crosby, and they've really turned this season around.

I'd be curious to see what would have happened if the WBS team started the season in Pittsburgh... perhaps the Pens would be in playoff contention.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
#66 said:
Ouellet has always been a scorer with skating problems. The thing is that his hands and sense are acually very good. IMO he's always scored NHL goals. I've always thought that he was a little like Michel Goulet as far as style and an on ice look. The best thing about him is that he wants it. He's worked hard to get better year after year and has cleaned up some flaws. His skating still isn't the greatest but he stays active and has a good sense of positioning offseting some of his flaws. Plus he has really picked up his two way play. I've long been dreaming about Malkin controling the endboards and passing to Ouellet in front of the net.

Ouellet trained in the offseason to improve his skating, and I think it shows.

His overall skating is pretty good, just his straight ahead speed isn't going to make your jaw drop. As we all know, speed isn't everything, or players such as Koltsov and Fata wouldn't be in the A right now.

He is never going to skate like Crosby, but he looks pretty smooth out there.

I'm very interested to see if he can keep up his production and not go into a slump like he did last Winter with the Baby Pens.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
timmy12 said:
I agree with that except for his shot. He does have an excellent shot. And if you know the game well enough to be in the right place and you have a great shot, you can go pretty far. Ask Brett Hull.

*By no means am I comparing Ouellet to Brett Hull*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad