Proposal: Penguins-Oilers offseason goalie swap

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Buy out Campbell and run Pickard-Stu-Rodrigue....

I'm very high on Rodrigue and would like to see 50-30 for Stu and Rodrigue next season. I think Rodrigue ends up being better than him in a few years and I like Stu!

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Saying Jarry has struggled like Campbell is a wildly bizarre thing to say.
Meh, maybe not to the same extent but they've both sucked and have lost games for their teams.

Either way not a big enough difference for the Oilers to retain AND pay a 2nd.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Meh, maybe not to the same extent but they've both sucked and have lost games for their teams.

Either way not a big enough difference for the Oilers to retain AND pay a 2nd.

I would like any sort of statistical argument to back this up.

Jarry's worst season as a starter is a league average save%. Campbell's worst season as a starter resulted in him getting put on waivers.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
I would like any sort of statistical argument to back this up.

Jarry's worst season as a starter is a league average save%. Campbell's worst season as a starter resulted in him getting put on waivers.
I did say they've both sucked to different extents but .903 vs .897 is going to lose you more games than you win so it's like picking between two negative assets. Explain why the Oilers would retain and pay an asset to take on the longer and more expensive contract.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I did say they've both sucked to different extents but .903 vs .897 is going to lose you more games than you win so explain why the Oilers would retain and pay an asset to take on the longer and more expensive contract.

Campbell doesn't have an .897 save%, if he did he'd still be playing for the Oilers. That's bad but not horrible.

He has an .873 save% this year and an .888 save% last year. That's not "bad but playable". It's egregiously terrible. Jarry is the wildly better goalie, hence why they'd be retaining and adding in this scenario.

Reactions: Voight

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Campbell doesn't have an .897 save%, if he did he'd still be playing for the Oilers. That's bad but not horrible.

He has an .873 save% this year and an .888 save% last year. That's not "bad but playable". It's egregiously terrible. Jarry is the wildly better goalie, hence why they'd be retaining and adding in this scenario.
Meh we have different definitions of wildly better then, spending 6.5m or whatever on a backup since we have Skinner would be one of the dumbest moves. Even if he's "wildly better" than Campbell, Oilers just need a regular backup goalie and they certainly won't need to spend 6m+ to fill that hoe.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Penguins trade Jarry
Oilers trade Campbell at $3.5 million and a 2024 2nd

Oilers run with Jarry and Skinner as their goalie tandem going forward, while the Penguins treat Campbell more as a 1B to either Nedjelkovic or Blomqvist. The $1.5 million salary retention on Campbell makes his contract much more reasonable (3 years at $3.5 million). This is a “change of scenery” swap for both of them, but with Edmonton adding due to the difference between Campbell and Jarry.
Dubas isn't making this trade if he wanted to trade Jarry he could and get a good return multiple teams would be interested

Reactions: Darren McCord

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
It seems to me that simply buying out Campbell makes more sense than agreeing to this proposal, though I suppose that depends on one's view of Jarry on a long-term deal.

I expect the Oilers to keep Campbell next season in a similar role, and then buy him out in summer 2025 (taking the $1.283M cap hit for four years instead of six).

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
If something like this were going to happen it would have been pre-deadline I think. He's basically guaranteed to be bought out unless a team takes his whole contract for like a 2nd

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Campbell has played very well in the AHL. While a buyout is most likely if he continues to play at a high level with some retention and some creativity it could be possible to move him without giving up a whole lot. I can't see the Oilers taking back a big ticket in such a deal.

Bijelo

Oct 23, 2022
First Flat
Penguins trade Jarry
Oilers trade Campbell at $3.5 million and a 2024 2nd

Oilers run with Jarry and Skinner as their goalie tandem going forward, while the Penguins treat Campbell more as a 1B to either Nedjelkovic or Blomqvist. The $1.5 million salary retention on Campbell makes his contract much more reasonable (3 years at $3.5 million). This is a “change of scenery” swap for both of them, but with Edmonton adding due to the difference between Campbell and Jarry.

True.

Last edited:

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
I am not a fan of Jarry by any means but he has more value than 3.5 mil AHL goalie. I think his numbers would have been good this year if they had played him and Ned as a 1A-1B all year and not starting Jarry more than what he can handle. He was great for the first half of the season

Bijelo

Oct 23, 2022
First Flat
Is worse squad better for the Penguins like Jarry and Campbell transition and Malkin or Crosby leaving and maybe Letang leaving and replace with talents?

Last edited:

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
If something like this were going to happen it would have been pre-deadline I think. He's basically guaranteed to be bought out unless a team takes his whole contract for like a 2nd
Oiler didn't have the cap to do it pre-deadline. With Campbell send down it let them ice a full roster. I think it is the reason Campbell wasn't recalled.

Campbell will either be traded this off season or bought out. I also see Kane being trade with the Oilers trying to resign Perry. Would open up about 8 million. They need to go after an upgrade on Ceci

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Oiler didn't have the cap to do it pre-deadline. With Campbell send down it let them ice a full roster. I think it is the reason Campbell wasn't recalled.

Campbell will either be traded this off season or bought out. I also see Kane being trade with the Oilers trying to resign Perry. Would open up about 8 million. They need to go after an upgrade on Ceci
Campbell is untradable. Kane would be tough to trade given the season he has had and his reputation.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

I mean more of the idea of trading him with retention than getting Jarry back, the purpose would have been to open up more cap in season

RSPens

May 25, 2015
The buy out of Campbell is actually a pretty sweet deal for Edmonton. They don't get penalized until the 27/28 season and even then it is only $1.5Mper for the next 3 seasons. I'm thinking the Pens would be better off trading Jarry for a pick if they can, sign Ned (assuming he wants to), let Edmonton buy out Campbell and if Blomqvist isn't ready sign Campbell cheap (assuming he'd want to).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad